A/c condenser Question........

ecyrbh

I'm sure some people here have used the short A/C condenser.Its time to get my A/C back together and I want to replace it.I dont want to loose any effiency,especially here in South Texas.......Jeeees its hot already......I would like to open up the area infront of the IC to help out intake temps,but I dont like to sweat at 70+ mph either.......Give me some help here.. Please

what do you need help with? you asked for help but you didn't say what you wanted help with??? maybe im just not understanding you correctly... anyway

get yourself a bigger IC and an IC fan... should keep intake temps down

I'm sure some people here have used the short A/C condenser.Its time to get my A/C back together and I want to replace it.I dont want to loose any effiency,especially here in South Texas.......Jeeees its hot already......I would like to open up the area infront of the IC to help out intake temps,but I dont like to sweat at 70+ mph either.......Give me some help here.. Please

I'm sorry, I'm just curious to know if the short condensers work as well as the full length OE style.I am not ready to go FMIC or double IC just yet.I only want to get the A/C working and reliable.If the shortened units work OK,the added benefit to intake charge temps might make it worthwhile.Just looking for past experience and info,that's all..........and also where & what have people been using for the short version...... P.S. already have IC fan

Last edited:
You should look at installing a pusher fan in front of the condensor. A/C performance is greatly affected by the air flow through the condensor. We squeezed in a large pusher fan on my 95 when we did the short condensor install with the FMIC, and my A/C blows very cold even on very humid 90+ degree days.

cheers
Ed N.

A smaller condenser will affect your A/C temp, especially if you are running any refrigerant other than R12. Even with R12 you will feel a difference,a condensor fan is a must. R134A needs a lot of condenser due to the higher pressures and heat they generate.

Ed & Others,

For those who want to stick with the stock size A/C condenser is there an OEM replacement for fit and finish?

A smaller condenser will affect your A/C temp, especially if you are running any refrigerant other than R12. Even with R12 you will feel a difference,a condensor fan is a must. R134A needs a lot of condenser due to the higher pressures and heat they generate.
Yup.. I've retro'd 2 of my SC's and I'll do the 3rd soon. I would not recommend anything smaller than the original in texas heat. Especially if you're in slow moving traffic. It needs LOTS of air moving over it and the hotter the outside air, the less efficient a condenser becomes.

I will not use an OEM r12 style condenser with r134.. Its worth the $$ to replace it with an aftermarket one. The newer style has many more smaller tubes (6mm) and sends the refrigerant across in 4 paths. In fact, thats asll the stores sell anyway.

If you use a smaller condenser, be prepared to add a pusher fan to get more air moving across it. But IMO, its not worth it unless you live up north. I honestly don't think it can keep up on a 101 degree day.

Back