PDA

View Full Version : Interest in SC/XR7 Registry?

Mercutio
05-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Lately I've become curious as to things like how many SCs are still on the road, how many cars are known to have been destroyed, how many cars came with certain options and so on. While I realize many SC owners don't participate on these forums, I would be interested to see how many others would like to see data compiled, especially for the rare cars. For example: 722 5-speeds were made in 94, but what was the color breakdown? How many had sunroofs? How many are known to be in junkyards? That sort of thing. In order for this to work, people would have to be willing to report as to their year, options, build date and preferably VIN number so as to compile as much information as possible, and someone (or multiple people) would have to be willing to collate all this information, probably in Excel or something. So, assuming information like this doesn't already exist, does anyone else share my interest in such a project?

Hock
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Jeremy_K
05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
I think someone tried that with the 35 anniversary cars and it kind of fizzled out shortly after. Mine is a 90 XR7 auto with parts from a white 89 SC to do the manual transmission swap and ground effects from a 93 midnight blue SC. How's that for a start?:) My 5 speed tranny and 94-95 blower are from some other donor cars across the country.

garsc
05-31-2008, 02:12 PM
The purpose of a registry is to legitimise original cars that are as equiped from the factory. I doubt even my 94 5spd would qualify for that even though it has the original drive train config. it has a non orignal motor and the seats are a different color than it was built. Altho all other non orignal parts (wheels,exhaust and air intake) i still have.

Mercutio
05-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Well then let's call it a database, not a registry. Originality is not the point--attempting to ascertain surviving car numbers and break down production numbers by options, color, etc. is.

Mike8675309
05-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in it.

The 35th registry is still operating. Ran into issues with the domain after Ford lawyers went after them. http://www.35thatr.org/ Changed it up, but still running.

garsc
05-31-2008, 04:55 PM
I would be interested in knowing how many of each year and type do still survive. R.L Polk company keeps records on vehicles by VIN, that would tell you how many Supercoupes are still registered but they I am sure charge for that info other than that I dont know how you would compile that info.

CougarXR/7
05-31-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm in............may have a second S.C. to add to the list soon.

franky_402
05-31-2008, 09:29 PM
i have my 94 and i know my 90 was totalled for sure, so i have two to contribute!!! I would be very interested

XR7Kurt
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
I've been wanting to do an XR7 registry for a few years and was thinking about starting to collect data with the hopes of putting it together later. I was going to do 89'-91' since the 91's still high performance XR7's in my opinion.
I'd be willing to do the XR7 part or help with whatever gets going.
I can account for the whereabouts of 5 XR7/SC's.

Mercutio
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Here is what I would propose, then. Kurt has the right idea, splitting this project up among a couple people. I'd be happy to handle the 94-95 cars, mainly because I don't know a whole lot about options for the 89-93 cars. Someone who knows those cars better would be better able to research options, colors, etc. I have created an Excel document that denotes the available 94-95 options; I'll share this document with anyone who wants to help with the project, and it could be used as a guideline for XR7 and 89-93 cars. For those willing to share information on those cars, I would like to have the following information:

-VIN
-year & type (ie SC vs. XR7)
-Owner's name and state
-car's status (ie active and on road or wrecked--so if anyone sees an SC/XR7 in a junkyard, please get as much information about the car as possible, particularly the VIN)
-original color
-factory equipped options. No need for dealer options like spoilers and vinyl tops on Cougars.
-any other worthwhile notes. For example, one of my SCs is missing the door data plate. In this case I have to assume the paint and interior are original but I have no proof.

So, if you care to cooperate, please post up or PM me with as much information as you're willing to provide. If you're uncomfortable with giving out your name and location, the most important information is that on the door tag. Also, having access to a dealer brochure for your year is worthwhile so you can see exactly what options were available.

As an example, here's how I've recorded the information for one of my cars:

1FALP64R0RH163160, 94 SC, Will Smith, TN, manual transmission, status active, paint code WH (Ultra Red Clearcoat), interior Z6 (Opal Grey cloth), axle code M (2.73). Options: power passenger seat, premium sound cassette, keyless entry, floormats, Trac-Lok (standard with 5-speed). Worthwhile notes: car purchased new in Chattanooga, TN, then sold to owner in Jacksonville, FL. I am the third owner.