anyone look inside their mpx with coated rotors??

pro street rich

I was out helping my son on his car and looked inside the MPX blower..:eek:.WOW is all I can say.:mad: I guess we will have to send it back to MP for a free recoat.:mad: Almost all the coating on the rotors is GONE..:eek:.. Anyone else have this happen to their mpx's ???:confused: I will get some pic's hooked on here to show just what I found... Maybe 800 miles on these blowers is too much??? What do you think???................uncoated Rich:(

I was out helping my son on his car and looked inside the MPX blower..:eek:.WOW is all I can say.:mad: I guess we will have to send it back to MP for a free recoat.:mad: Almost all the coating on the rotors is GONE..:eek:.. Anyone else have this happen to their mpx's ???:confused: I will get some pic's hooked on here to show just what I found... Maybe 800 miles on these blowers is too much??? What do you think???................uncoated Rich:(
There are several posts about coating not recommended on the MPX.Charles said he was going to stop offering the coated rotors.I doubt you'll end up with a free recoat since they were GTP rotors to begin with and not coated at MP.Dave Dalke said quite some time ago that the coating wan't staying on.I believe I saw a post by Kevin Leitum saying his coating was gone as well.
I'm definitely not putting them in mine since the coating must end up in the intercooler.

Last I've seen around here has been the idea of coating the inside of the blower casing rather than the rotors. The concern that the rotor packs seem to be changing in shape considerably hindering the ability of the coatings to stick.

Thus coating the case, something more massive and likely to experience less expansion may work.

Long term, the only real solution to improve rotor sealing is Teflon end seals in the rotors. Of course those experience significant wear as they are designed to be in contact with the walls all the time.

So far I've been a fan of the idea of a pre-blower injector for the Snow Methanol injection system to improve blower sealing. Not sure if that really does anything though.

So far I've been a fan of the idea of a pre-blower injector for the Snow Methanol injection system to improve blower sealing. Not sure if that really does anything though.

You could datalog the difference in boost (with and without the pre-blower injector).

I talked to Matt Snow about that very topic a couple weeks ago at WSC. According to him, injecting before the blower is usually worth around 2 psi. If/when I install meth injection on my setup, I plan on injecting before the blower, both for the sealing benefits and to assure even distribution.

-Rod

the mpx is coated case if you run coatedrotors in it the clearace is too tight mpx's are suposed to be run with uncoated rotors

the mpx is coated case if you run coated rotors in it the clearance is too tight mpx's are supposed to be run with uncoated rotors

Charles told me that the MPx does have tighter tolerances and shouldn't be ran in the extreme cold such as below 0. I forget the exact temperatures he told me.

I don't believe the inside of the stock MPx is coated.

Last edited:
This one was coated rotors,

the mpx is coated case if you run coatedrotors in it the clearace is too tight mpx's are suposed to be run with uncoated rotors

This was some of the first ones that he made. This one was coated, I know we paid extra to get the "GTP" coated rotors put in this one. Maybe He has changed his thinking on this, but the first ones were coated if you asked for them.
As for cold weather, this car was put up for the winter before it got cold. It sat in a heated building all winter long. That is what you have to do when you live this far north. Heck the ice is still on the lakes around here....LOL... At any rate, they were coated, but not any more..........Rich

Prior to my MPX, I was using a 94/95 case with GTP rotors which was 15% overdriven. I noticed then that the GTP rotors where starting to have coating issues. When I installed my MPX, I went with uncoated rotors from the start. I am still making 19lbs of boost, with uncoated rotors in a MPX at 25% OD.

The Embre coating was holding up on my MPIII case great at 15% OD.
My original coating did not at 15%.

The coating has more effects on sealing the rotor to rotor tolerances, It matters little that the MPX is tighter (case to rotor).

I'm getting confused. I think some of the posts are talking about coated rotors from a SC, gtp, or an aftermarket coated rotor from someone such as embree. Others posts are talking about the actual MPx case being coated in the inside.

I have read about the idea of coating the inside of a case, but didn't know anyone had tried, especially a MPx.

Rich are you saying you had coated rotors and a coated case and your coated rotors are now bare?

When Charles mentioned cold temperatures, he was talking about running them in the cold weather and how he shrunk the tolerances which could cause problems if ran in extremely cold weather.

damons mpx had a clear coating on inside of case . I had it here formonhs and worked with it every day It had a coating

damons mpx had a clear coating on inside of case . I had it here for months and worked with it every day It had a coating

to clear the air a bit..

I'm getting confused. I think some of the posts are talking about coated rotors from a SC, gtp, or an aftermarket coated rotor from someone such as embree. Others posts are talking about the actual MPx case being coated in the inside.

I have read about the idea of coating the inside of a case, but didn't know anyone had tried, especially a MPx.

Rich are you saying you had coated rotors and a coated case and your coated rotors are now bare?

When Charles mentioned cold temperatures, he was talking about running them in the cold weather and how he shrunk the tolerances which could cause problems if ran in extremely cold weather.

I started with one of the first MPX's and had the coated "GTP" rotor pack put in from and by MP. This is what is coming off. The rotors are just about bare except at the bottom of the blades. This tells me that they are set right,just that the coating will not stand up to this much spinning.. If he also coated the case, that would be something that I don't know about. Everyone that hears this car says it sounds like a super bad "GTP' on pills...I just think it sounds good enought to scare people away from racing...Rich

I just got my MPx today and there is NO coating on the inside of the case just raw machined aluminum.

Damon's was clear coated to keep it shinny while it sits on the shelf waiting for it's turn to get used. ;)

Damon's was clear coated to keep it shinny while it sits on the shelf waiting for it's turn to get used. ;)

your probably right or my eyes are candy coated maybe Im wrong i could have sworn it was coatd hey i know lets ask damon.

damon is yours coated? with a clear coat ?

mayb im just getting olde my testicals are around the knee area,
and i keep forgeting im married.

anyway best person to ask is charles

Back