Vehicle Image (0)
View Image
Vehicle Image (0)

View Image
Vehicle Image (0)
View Image
Vehicle Image (0)

Description
I bought this car from a fellow member of the SCCoWC. I needed to replace my '89 Cougar XR7 since it needed a complete suspension rebuild and the body was not in good enough shape to make it worthwhile.

The 'bird was in pretty good shape. The ARC's were shot along with the bushings. I swapped the ARC's with the KYB G2's that were in the Cougar. I ordered a complete Poly bushing set and installed them myself. Not a job I wanted to do, but I couldn't find anyone who would do it. I actually had a company quote me over $3000.00 to install the parts I bought.

The white paint was pretty dingy. I spent a little time on Meguiars forums and decided to do a very detailed claybar and meguiars paint cleaner job and see what happened. This took my wife and I about two weeks to finish. The job came out fantastic though I think we each lost a pint of elbow grease.

The headlight switch was melted and the Multi function switch was not working well so I changed both of those and then wired my headlights and foglights through a relay bank and now run only pilot voltage through the interior car switches.

Everything was great until November 2008 when, accelerating on to the highway that runs from the border to Vancouver I felt a cough. I thought I had blown the intercooler tube gasket and would have to reseal everything. Then about three km's later I noticed the temperature was way up and the oil pressure was way up.

It was a headgasket fiasco, and that on an engine that had been rebuilt 40,000 k previous.

It took my wife and I two days to pull the engine and drop in the engine from the Cougar.

Back in business! Along the way I changed the seats out to a nice custom made set.

Then the harmonic balancer bolt broke off half way inside the crank and that led to a extraction fiasco.

This time I had to pull the engine myself as the wife was now an ex. (though she did offer to come down from the interior to help.)

Now I am in the process of rebuilding the original engine that blew the headgaskets.

Since a couple of the guys here at the SCCoWC have such high praise for David Dalke I purchased all my engine parts from him. The shortblock parts are now at the machine shop and the heads should be arriving soon.

I will be adding an sPort SC, 94/5 gas tank, larger MAF and TB and a 255 lph fuel pump to go with the 60# injectors.

I will control it all with a QH.

I am really, really looking forward to getting out of my 2.3l '88 ranger and back into something that will be a passer not a passee. Really getting tired of being the slow guy on the highway.

Modifications - Engine - $0.00
  Manufacturer Modification Rating Total Spent Updated Installed?

Automotive Racing Products
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

BBK
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

Comp Cams
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

Ford OEM Parts
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

Wiseco
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

Modifications - Suspension - $0.00
  Manufacturer Modification Rating Total Spent Updated Installed?

KYB
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

Supercoupe Performance
$0.00
07-15-2010
Yes

Club Membership
Club