Rear Caliper mounting bracket on 89 SC

pastera

Doing brakes all around.
Found one right rear caliper guide pin seized up solid in the mounting bracket. Was told the bracket is a dealer only part. So I'm off looking for another mounting bracket.

What years can be used?

Also, even after changing all of the fluid, the brakes are still soft. Does anyone know the capacity of the brake system, I flushed a quart and a half of fluid through it. The fluid that cames out was nice and clear.

On an 89, should I change out the flexible brake lines? Or should I just take it in for a power flush and go from there.

I would be nice if I could get my wife to pump the brakes while I feel the hoses to see it they are expanding, but she HATES the car so much that she will not help me do anything with it.

Aaron

Just called the local dealer and can't get it there. The only local junk yard with SC's doesn't seem to have an 89, so I'm in trouble.

Last edited:
If you put the bracket on the bench, you can use heat and press it out, then clean the inside really good to remove any rust on both the pin, boot, and the hole, then applt lots of Silglide (sp) to both the pin, boot, and the hole. You need the key on to bleed the back brakes starting with the rear pass side, rear drivers side, then front pass side, and finally the front drivers side. But you do need someone to depressurize the front when you're bleeding them unless you get the kit for the power flush. You probably still have some air in the lines. The rear brakes on 90, 91, 92 are the same so you're not restricted to 89. Good luck

Got the pin out of the bracket. It only took two days of soaking it in penatrating oil, a torch, a large hammer (3lbs), and one small fire:D . Good thing the top of my roll-away is covered with 1" Al plate. Don't try this at home folks, or at least clean the oil off the top of your bench before getting out the torch.

Got a new set of pins today and tommorow will stop by the local gun shop for a 357 barrel brush ( I never put a brush down my barrels). The brush should help get the rust out.

Thanks

Aaron

A bit late now, but for future reference, 1989 - 1992 SC use the same rear brakes.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Great! Glad you got it out but I guess bench work can be eye opening. Don't forget to lube them well with silglide.
Good Luck

The brackets are not that expensive at the dealer. Under $30 for both sides on my car:

caliperbracket.jpg

Mike8675309 said:
The brackets are not that expensive at the dealer. Under $30 for both sides on my car:

I was told that they are obsolete by the local dealer. Do you have a part number for it - I may just buy a set for insurance.

Aaron

Tell your local dealer to try harder ... the numbers change up to a 91 Taurus part, F1DZ-2B511-A for the right side, F1DZ-2B512-A for the left side, those will fit 1989 to 1992 Bird / Cougar. I can see why you guys get pissed off with Ford dealers down there, if they can't find something that simple. :rolleyes:

If we were allowed by Ford to export parts south of the border, I'm sure we could do a ton of business !!

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Thanks Ed

The only way to get them to do anything is to go in person and wait until you can get the one parts guy who has heard about an SC. When I called from work about the parts, the person on the phone kept on refering to it as a turbo coupe. I guess I should have called back until I got someone who knew what was going on.

Aaron

Sorry, don't have the part numbers on hand. My garage is still a mess from the winter and I have yet to organize all of my receipts.

But I agree that going to the parts counter helps. Though my local dealer was really helpful when I was having brake problems. The service guys even took the bracket back to try and use their press to break the pin loose. But after looking up the part and pondering the low chance of getting a pin to slide in the whole very well in the future, I decided on a new brackets.

Don't forget there are some Ford dealers that may not be local but have struck agreements to help SC'ers.

From the SCCOA Discounts Link:
John Nolan Ford in Cincinnati.
Five Star Ford in Scottsdale

From the TBSCEC:
Morrow Motors in Beaver Falls

There may be others.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Got everything back together and the brakes are great. Cleared up a lot of issues. No more wobble in the wheel and the 'FIRM' light doesn't come on at every stop. I did find I need an accumulator, I only get about 5 presses of the pedal before the pump comes on.

By far the best way to clean the pin bore is a barrel brush for a .357/.38/.380. A 40 cal brush might clean a little better but I didn't try it because the .357 brush fit well but not overly tight.

You need to cut the end of the brush down a little because the bristles taper towards the end of the brush. If you don't cut the brush you will not be able to clean the last 1/2" of the bore.

A total of $1.57 plus tax at walmart and I had the perfect tool for cleaning out the mounting bracket. If you don't have a gun cleaning kit you will need to get one also (about $5) to hook the brush up to a drill.

Aaron

Back