Scheduled weight reductions resume

nickleman60

Removed my steel hood today and started fitting the fiberglass cowl hood. It sure don't fit too good but like all of them they take a little massaging to get the fit right but it does look faster and meaner already. It's probably a 40-50 lbs. savings, a little closer to my goal of the 11's......I hope...........:rolleyes:

Attachments

• new hood 003.JPG
    new hood 003.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 123
  • new hood 2 002.JPG
    new hood 2 002.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 120
  • new hood 2 003.JPG
    new hood 2 003.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 132
  • new hood 2 001.JPG
    new hood 2 001.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Looking good dude.

How much weight are you hoping to cut off?

I figure with the fiberglass hood, manual seat racks and lighter seats, rear seat delete, Mark 8 aluminum driveshaft, diff and LCA's that I should be losing 200 lbs. or so. Not weight savings but I'm also going with 4.10 gears for a little more "umphhh" in the 1/4 mile department.

I like that better then the CObra R ones. Lift up the header panel with the light and bumper so you close up the gap a little more.

I like that better then the CObra R ones. Lift up the header panel with the light and bumper so you close up the gap a little more.

The header panel isn't raising anymore, in the pics the hood is just sitting there, when it's latched down the gap will be smaller plus with it being white and the rest of the car black it exagerates the gap because of the contrasting colors. Once the hood is painted you won't notice anything.

Last edited:
Nice hood. But what are you going to do come state safety inspection time? There are limits to hood scoop height in VA. I was looking to buy that same type hood but checked the inspection requirements first and found that the 3" hood like yours will not pass the state safety inspection. If I remember correctly the max height of a hood scoop is 1 7/8" above the dash where it meets the windshield. Maybe you have an inspection station that will let it slide or switch hoods to get the car inspected. I personal think Virginia's limitations on hood scoops are a little to strict.

Nice hood. But what are you going to do come state safety inspection time? There are limits to hood scoop height in VA. I was looking to buy that same type hood but checked the inspection requirements first and found that the 3" hood like yours will not pass the state safety inspection. If I remember correctly the max height of a hood scoop is 1 7/8" above the dash where it meets the windshield. Maybe you have an inspection station that will let it slide or switch hoods to get the car inspected. I personal think Virginia's limitations on hood scoops are a little to strict.

You are correct, the last few years I had a Cobra R hood....not saying why I changed....:eek:, the inspector that I've been going to for many years told me about the hood height restrictions. He told me to go home, remove the hood and get it inspected without one, he says you don't have to have a hood to pass inspection. That way he says he covers his butt and I get my car inspected, he just makes a note that he inspected it without a hood. I just have to remove it and re-install it is the only pain in the azz but a small price to pay for a sticker.

Last edited:
With the hood pins installed it draws the hood down more in the front to close the gap, I like the size of the gap as it is right now.

Attachments

• new hood and pins 001.JPG
    new hood and pins 001.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 96
  • new hood and pins 002.JPG
    new hood and pins 002.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 92
  • new hood and pins 003.JPG
    new hood and pins 003.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 95
  • new hood and pins 004.JPG
    new hood and pins 004.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 90
I dropped off the hood today for paint and a new windshield will be installed on Sat. Then it's on to the aluminum diff and driveshaft install and then PINKS ALL OUT and 11's...........:D

lol so true, i just had to get a shield for my twilight blue 92 5spd, the price went up $50 from last year to this year

Wow!

$236.................Safelite Autoglass on Rosemont Rd., they're coming to the house. Same place I used last year when my hood flew up..............:eek:

Glad I don't live where you guys do when I replaced the windshield on my 94SC. It was only $150.00 installed including the price of the glass.

At least you can get it done very quickly, thats always a plus.

Smitty

Back