Trannipaloosa - How to install a T56 in one weekend...

XR7 Dave

There's been a lot of talk about T56's over the years, but finally we are going to put one in, get the job done, and let you know what it feels like.

Ok, in all honesty you may never actually complete a total install in one weekend without a lot of groundwork being done in advance, but the actual installation is quite doable.

Here we go.

First off, the ground work:

You'll need - A working T56. In this case we took an early Camaro Borg Warner T56 and updated the front cover and input shaft to a late model so that it would accept a diaphram style slave cylinder which we purchased in advance from McLeod along with a SBF bellhousing/SFI blowshield and separator plate. We used a custom McLeod lightweight billet steel flywheel and in this case a twin disc McLeod clutch originally designed for a 4.6L Cobra. Then we had to make sure we had all the right attaching bolts (none of the stock stuff or anything that came in any of the kits worked) and clutch line adapters for the master cylinder and -3 AN lines. Then you'll need a special lengthened driveshaft which we had custom made by Dynatech. I also made, in advance, a custom bolt in crossmember from a modified stock SC unit as can be seen in the pictures. A Z-handle on the stock Camaro shifter took care of boot alignment as the pictures show, requiring only minor trimming of the transmission tunnel.

More to come! As the weekend progresses......

All of that was handled in advance, and

Good job Dave! I ran into problems with the engine I was going to use. So My install is stalled again.
What are you going to use for speedo input?
MikeH

First pic shows custom pilot bushing and separator plate installed.

Attachments

• P2220001a.jpg
    P2220001a.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 241
Next pictures show billet flywheel, twin disc Mcleod clutch, and blow shield installed on motor.

Attachments

• P2230012a.JPG
    P2230012a.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 231
  • P2230014a.JPG
    P2230014a.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 221
  • P2230015a.JPG
    P2230015a.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 228
  • P2230016a.JPG
    P2230016a.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 233
Picture of the adjustable McLeod slave cylinder and the converted AN line on the stock SC master cylinder.

Attachments

• P2220009a.JPG
    P2220009a.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 229
  • P2240028.JPG
    P2240028.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 221
Modifications and fitment of shifter. Haven't installed the cover yet, but we test fit before and I think it's going to clear ok. We'll document tomorrow.

Attachments

• P2240023a.JPG
    P2240023a.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 272
  • P2240025a.JPG
    P2240025a.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 287
Finally!..Hey is that McLeod flywheel for a 4.6 as well? If I ever go t56 I definitely want a dual disk flywheel. Really excited to see how this turns out

This is relevant to my interests. David, do you know the weight difference, all things considered, between the M5R2 and the T56 setup?

This is relevant to my interests. David, do you know the weight difference, all things considered, between the M5R2 and the T56 setup?

The heck with the weight difference! (well to a point I guess lol) Will the T56 shift where the M5R2 won't??

Ira

Ive heard a t56 to be about 125 with bellhosuing and slave (someone I know that weighed one) Ive seen higher numbers online but I believe there may be alot of guessing..Im sure someone here knows what the SC tranny weighs

It's a lot heavier. Since it was never offered in production bolted to a SBF bellhousing, you have to run an aftermarket blowshield which is 1/4" steel and the separator plate is also 3/16" steel vs. the 16ga stamped steel plate that the stock M5R2 uses. Then there is the transmission itself which, without the bellhousing weighs more than an M5R2. Exactly how much I don't know, but I'd guess this combination adds an easy 30lbs vs. stock.

The heck with the weight difference! (well to a point I guess lol) Will the T56 shift where the M5R2 won't??

Ira
I had no trouble shifting John's M5R2 @ 6700rpm, and quickly I might add. If you are having trouble shifting it can only be either driver or bad parts in the transmission. In the case of your car, I'll be finding out soon enough if there is a transmission problem. ;)

It's a lot heavier. Since it was never offered in production bolted to a SBF bellhousing, you have to run an aftermarket blowshield which is 1/4" steel and the separator plate is also 3/16" steel vs. the 16ga stamped steel plate that the stock M5R2 uses. Then there is the transmission itself which, without the bellhousing weighs more than an M5R2. Exactly how much I don't know, but I'd guess this combination adds an easy 30lbs vs. stock.

I have a SBF T-56 aluminum bellhousing in my garage. Bought it a couple of years ago.

Back