New motor break in period

Slysc

I've been told that a new motor should have a break in period before it gets beat on.

500 miles with 10w30 oil?

250 miles with 5w30 oil?

I guess it's supposed to seat the rings properly. What happens if I don't "seat the rings"? Will they fail prematurely? Will they never seal right?

What's the proper break in for a new motor (new pistons, rings, rods, bearings etc.)

I have always waited for about 1000 miles. I would try to go on a long drive with a lot of different contours. Hills and flats always seemed to work for me. I would also not step on it until after that period. Some people don't wait at all and they just go out and start beating on it. Sometimes nothing happens sometimes it does. Just keep the RPMS low and give the engine a variety of work loads such as hills and flats.

My way

First�c
Bring engine up to operating temp. Engines are usually, relatively, dirty after assembly so�c
Change oil
After 500 city or 1000 highway miles.
Change oil
3000 miles on engine
Change oil
6000 miles
Change oil to synthetic

Up until 3000 miles, I drive it like a baby.

This might be a little overkill, but any good mechanic will tell that you can�ft change your oil too much.

Good luck:D

engine break in

I started it and brought it up to operating temperature, let it run for a while and then shut it down and changed the oil.

What bad thing could happen from beating on it too soon?

It's not likely that I'll have the discipline to baby this motor for 1000 miles. I thought 500 was pushing it. I was hoping to go at least 250 before I took it to the dragstrip.

What is "low rpm"? I've been keeping it below 3500 and trying not to boost it. It's gotten up to about 5 psi accidentally but only for short periods.

Don't stress if you can't wait. Just make sure before you get on it that you aren't burning oil. After your first oil change without any loss of oil means you are in good shape and your rings have seated. Sometimes rings seat immediately sometimes it can take 1000 miles, depends on driver and rings. If you get on it before that it's possible they won't and they never will. But like people have said, vary rpms, vary terrain, drive it like you normally would without getting on it. My rings seated right away and I only waited about 350 miles before I got on it and had it on the track at like 1200 miles.

Back