Electrical gremlins on new to me 92 SC

peagnit2

Just bought a 92 SC Thunderbird, 21 yrs old so I expect a few issues.

One major and maybe a related minor. The brake lights don't work. Not the fuse, not the bulbs. Maybe related; The power seats don't work. Any thoughts or experiences on the two issues?

Sometimes the Shifter (auto) will not come out of park. This car has been setting a while and the PO said it never happened before. Any suggestions?

The owners manual is missing. Is there an online copy somewhere? Is there an online wiring diagram available?

Thanks in advance,
Peganit

Last edited:
Seats:

Sometimes 21 years of dirt, junk, and loose change finds its way into the track and jams them up from moving. Not a big deal, just remove them (4 bolts i believe) and clean the tracks and lubricate with white lithium, wd40, ect. Make sure you get them free.

Shifter:

May require a cleaning and a little bit of grease to free things up. Lube is your friend ;)

That was quick!

The seats don't seem to have any power at all to them. Are the Brake lights and power seats on the same curcuit?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Seat back

Funny you bring up coins.

PO said the drivers side seat back wasn't working so he threw in a really nice grey one he had pulled off a parts car he bought. (mine is black)

My daughter pulled off the cover and there was a quarter and a dime stuck in the lever mechanism! She pulled them out and the seat back works fine now. (She wants the Bird :) )

We'll see, she's 14.

Last edited:
leds are cool!

I did not know these came with LED taillights. Very cool, but mine aren't working.

Any suggestions?

Have you pulled the fuse and jumped power to it to see if the problem is before or after the fuse box?

you can check the fuse under the hood? like above suggested.

But for the brake lights, have you checked the brake light switch itself? if that doesn't work (and i had one least go bad on me) you won't have well brake lights, and two you'll have issues getting the car out of park too.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!

Knew there had to be someone on this site with deep knowledge of these cars!

And thanks for the link, buying it just as soon as I try the switch and the f-pan fuse. I'm sure I'll need it. I know the two prior owners of this car over the last 6 yrs and they haven't had the best luck with it. (two broken balancers IIRC among other issues)

Why did I buy it? Good price at a good time and it looks good. And it won't be my DD.

Last edited:
It was the "C" fuse, fuse panel fuse in the engine bay fuse box! Coool and thanks! 40 amps. Hope it was an anomoly that it blew.

Both brake light and seats are working.

Don't smoke. ;)

Torquey!

Have most of the gremlins worked out, and these cars are a ball!

Door chime works backwards, any suggestions? open the door and the chime goes off, close it and it won't stop when the ignition is on. No interior lights at amy time.

Back