charging battery

danekejt

bought a battery charger from harbor freight tonight. this is the one that i bought http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47447. hooked it up to the black bird to charge the battery. i noticed as its charging it goes from charging to full charge. bounces back and forth between both while charging.

i disconnected the charger. reconnected everything making sure that everything was connected properly. then it proceeds to bounce back and forth from charging at 100% to fully charged then back again to charging.

is this normal. i was expecting it to do a steady charge and then the green light coming on when the battery is fully charged.

thanks for any and all answers.

This is what it says in the description for your charger: Charger shuts off output when battery is fully charged - monitors battery, and automatically turns back on if needed.
This leads me to conclude that it is either defective or there is a large current draw on the battery, causing it to keep turning back on. Did you buy the charger because your battery was running down overnight?
My trickle charger does not keep cycling between "charging" to "full charge".
To verify if your charger is bad, disconnect the battery from your car and then see if it bounces back and forth.

yeah i bought the it because i havent started the car quite awhile. the battery was not strong enough to start the car. i did notice that after awhile that it stayed in charging mode. just checked now and it is switching back and forth again.

thanks for the suggestions i will try that and let you know how it went.

well that seems to have done the trick. just checked the car. took the charger off and car turned over as it should

it also has something in the manual that says that the charger doesnt force the power to the battery, the battery takes the charger when wants it. maybe that is what it was doing.

thanks for the reply and the suggestions..

Back