5spd or auto for track?

Would you use a 5speed or auto for drag use only?

• Use auto SC

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • Use 5 speed SC

Votes: 59 35.3%

• Total voters

unclenick

Would you use the 5spd or auto for the track? I bought an auto car for parts but, now am thinking of turning it into a drag car instead of my 89 5speed. Whatta think?

Use an auto with all the lentech parts you can afford. Use enough stall for a good hard launch. I am going from a 2000 to a 2800 stall.

I'm lucky to own one of each of these beauties, but I can tell you the only way the AOD would ever beat the 5speed in any race is if you missed a shift or two with the standard trans. The 5speeds are rarer and are a blast to drive, but the AOD is mighty nice too, I still haven't decided which one I like the best, that's probably why I can't bring myself to sell either one. Auto or 5speed these are one fine, fun car....

Bill

If you're bracket racing it's very hard to beat an automatic since they are typically so consistent.

5 Speeds are certainly more fun if you know how and are willing to power shift them.

I personally voted Auto though, only because of the above reason and the fact that as my car that I drive around elsewhere in this trafficy city I like the ease of driving.

I probably should have qualified my comments by adding that you really have to shift the 5spd carefully...they are a very notchy tranny. With minimal mods to each car the 5spd seems to have much more torque. Anyone else notice such a difference ?

I voted Auto, I hate not having a 5spd for normal driving but an Auto takes the human factor out of the drag race. Much more consistent times.

I voted auto also, but I am having a very hard time deciding which one I want to pick up. When I had my auto before my rebuild was 973.00 for stock parts.

Envious said:
I voted auto also, but I am having a very hard time deciding which one I want to pick up. When I had my auto before my rebuild was 973.00 for stock parts.
Get a 5-speed, if not you will regret it. :D

I voted auto as well, but i do own a five speed, and love them. The only reason why i voted for the auto, i be leave you will get a better launch + auto's last longer at the track then our five speeds. I would like to here this feed back my self as I'm curious about which is acutely better for drag only. I never dragged raced before some my opinion, and vote should not really count , but I'm thinking the auto would be better ....

I voted Auto, I hate not having a 5spd for normal driving but an Auto takes the human factor out of the drag race. Much more consistent times.

That's what i was thinking, but a few on here with auto's use 1st, and 2nd Manuel shifting before hitting it into drive, so their is still a little human factor for shifting at the proper RPM'S.....

my 5 speed is faster than the auto i have, but the auto is much more consistent. i'm sure the install of the WOT BOX and no lift shift feature will make it a bigger difference. :)

Mine is a 5 speed, any car I have is and always has been a standard for the street. But, for drag race only it has to be a solid race built automatic.

Auto definatly. Better to change to a C-4 with a higher stall converter ,shift kit,extra clutches and a trans brake if you can afford it.The C4 is much more reliable than the AOD and far less fragile. It also is cheaper to mod and you dont really need the overdrive.My C4 just barely saw 3rd gear with 4:56 gears on the quarter.

Back