Nitto Tires

IkeyM

SCCoA Member
Ok im trying to decide on tires for my 17x 9 Cobra R's.I am looking at the Nitto 555 -- 285/40/17 rear and 255/45/17 front since they both are 25.94" tall.Anybody run this combination?Any input appreciated.

Those sizes are a nice staggered combo for 17" wheels on an MN-12. Pretty sure that is what David Dalke has on Connie's black XR-7.

cheers
Ed

Exactly what I had before going 18's. Will buldge a little in the rear on a 9" but not much

Well maybe i will go with 275 on the rear.Did you have 255 on the front?If so did you have any driving problems like bumpsteer?I read some where the Nittos were narrower than other brands thats why i was going to go with the 285.Also did you change any alignment setting with those tires?Would it be best to get mine aligned before or after i put the wider wheels/tires on?I just did a total rebuild of the front suspension also.

Well maybe i will go with 275 on the rear.Did you have 255 on the front?If so did you have any driving problems like bumpsteer?I read some where the Nittos were narrower than other brands thats why i was going to go with the 285.Also did you change any alignment setting with those tires?Would it be best to get mine aligned before or after i put the wider wheels/tires on?I just did a total rebuild of the front suspension also.

I think you meant tramlining and not bumpsteer. The Nitto NT555 did very little tramlining on my SC with 245 on front and 275 on the rear. Now that I think about it it didn't have any either when it had 255 NT555 all around.

Most people go with 245-45-17 Front and 275-40-17 rear with the 17" x 9" wheels. Both tires will have the same diameter and it's very close to stock, so the speedometer readings and fender gap will remain the same. That's what size tires I had on my 93 SC when I had 17" x 9" Cobra Rs at stock ride height. BTW, these are Nitto tires too.

garage_attachment.php

garage_attachment.php

David

Last edited:
Most people go with 245-45-17 Front and 275-40-17 rear with the 17" x 9" wheels. Both tires will have the same diameter and it's very close to stock, so the speedometer readings and fender gap will remain the same. That's what size tires I had on my 93 SC when I had 17" x 9" Cobra Rs at stock ride height. BTW, these are Nitto tires too.

garage_attachment.php

garage_attachment.php

David

David this is what it looks like with the wheels and worn out 255 tires.I also put the Eibach springs on the front and i am going to have to cut them or cut the ST springs and put them back on.It has ST springs on the rear.The front is way too high!!

IMAG0170.jpg

Looks good, just needs to come down an inch or so in the front. I used to have 255s on all four wheels too, but I think the staggered setup looks a little more aggressive.

David

My car drove great no bump steer at all. I think rim offset will affect that more. Do the 285/255 Perfect staggered look. 275 will be short.

I was very happy with the Nittos. Now have sumitomos...not so happy

Id also align with new tire setup and keep factory alignment. Every time I go more aggressive I get more aggressive tire wear!

Ok guys thanks for the input i think i will go with the 285/255 look.Also have any of you ever cut your springs?I was wondering if its ok to cut the Eibachs?I also have the ST fronts but i already had the Eibachs Powder Coated.

Damon is correct about the 285 255 combo being a slightly larger diameter. The 275-40 and 245-45 are not stock diameter as I indicated earlier, they are 25.7" diameter and the ones Damon is suggesting will be 26.0" diameter. When I mentioned being close to stock diameter I was thinking if the 18" 275-40 and 245-45, which are 26.7".

That said, I'd still go with a 275-40-17 and 245-45-17 because there will be a much bigger selection than you will find in a 285-40-17.

David

Yah not to many companies carry the 285 but Nitto does.

Mayeb some of the photos locate dbelow show the tire height. IMO a nice size fo rteh SC

As for cutting eibachs,,they may be progressive. I wouldnt

Check here

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1994...ctures/carlisle-2007-7469/101_1874.jpg-120418

Yeah your Teal car sets good!!I ordered the 285/255 combo today. Did you have to cut your front ST springs to get it down that far? Mine has the ST on the rear and it sits just right.I dont know why it sits that high in the front with a 1.5" drop.Maybe its the 70 lbs or so of weight gone up there.Im going to put the ST springs back on the front and see what it looks like before i have them powder coated. Do you think it would be ok to cut the ST springs if needed?

Back