Water pump...

jleopold

Hey guys... how hard is a water pump replacement for the bird ? -- anything special about a replacement ?

On the SC ? Just that the Power steering bracket bolts on two of the studs for the water pump. So you'll need to use a pull / install tool to remove the Power steering pulley to get to the bracket.

- Dan

It’s not too bad but don't mix up the bolts and make sure you use sealant where it specifies. Remove the fan, belts, pulley, top IC pipe, coil, alternator, and move the alternator bracket to the front. Make sure you clean all surfaces and use a good gasket. I use the Indian head/CARQUEST gasket sealer to mate it up. I over killed the drying time and let it dry for a few days before I put in any fluid through it but you shouldn’t have to wait that long. I did the same for my thermostat replacement too. Call me paranoid but I’ve never had too much luck without a good cure time on the adhesive.

I had fun when I rebuilt my SC engine. Installed the original, once working, water pump while it was on the engine stand. By the time I got everything back together and engine running .. water was leaking out of the weep hole. :rolleyes:
So I ended up having to replace the water pump in the car .. not as fun as while it was on the stand. :D
What car is this for John ? Not your SC im thinking ??

- Dan

On the SC ? Just that the Power steering bracket bolts on two of the studs for the water pump. So you'll need to use a pull / install tool to remove the Power steering pulley to get to the bracket.

- Dan

What are you talking about?

This is water pump removing and instaling you dont need a pull install tool for the Power sterring pump pulley you dont need to remove that at all. He needs to just remove the two nuts on the power steering bracket on the water pump and the two nuts that bolt to the head on the power seering bracket than slip the power steering assembly off the studs easy deal than move it aside than remove the rest of the water pump bolts

John PM me to get the right info for Water Pump easy and quick I have done this many times over the years SC Tech Man

Last edited:
Yes Jim, that is another method for taking the bracket off of the water pump. :rolleyes:

- Dan

JIM is RIGHT as usual,I changed the water pump on mine in 1 1/2 hours,most of the time was spent on cleaning off the old gasket.

Dan

Only if you dont know what your doing thats 80% more work for nothing we need to tell him the quick and easy way the right way nothing els

Its a matter of personal preference. I dont believe one way is more time or effort efficient over the other.

- Dan

Its a matter of personal preference. I dont believe one way is more time or effort efficient over the other.

- Dan

Dan

I think you need to do some homework on that idea not to be rude but to be serious doing it my way is quick and easy your way takes time and no need for it at all I am just trying to give John the right way of doing this the correct way. (Note) your way is only if you need to replace the power seering pump nothing els its darn sure not needed to replace the water pump

uh hummmm mine has 3 bolts one is un reachable behind the bracket so i had to remove it I never reinstalled it so i can forever do it jims way ,

I tried swivel sockets but it was too damn tight auto zone will loan you the pulley puller if you need it .

my current sc has no bracket i did without it its doing just fine

uh hummmm mine has 3 bolts one is un reachable behind the bracket so i had to remove it I never reinstalled it so i can forever do it jims way ,

I tried swivel sockets but it was too damn tight auto zone will loan you the pulley puller if you need it .

my current sc has no bracket i did without it its doing just fine

Manny

I never put that hard to get bolt back in eather just use the three bolts it was easy to get out the one behind the bracket. You need the right setup I used a Snap on socket with a swivel worked perfect I have done this on many of these hard to work on cars. Pulling the pulley off is a lot more work than needed I never had to do that

Well Jim, you do it your way, I do it mine. Its a matter of personal preference like I said above.

Its John's decision to make, there is also a Search feature on this board as this topic has been discussed many times in the Technical section. As long as the job gets done, it doesnt matter how you go about doing it.

Im not going to argue over whose way is better, or who is right; because there is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it gets done.

I dont take advice from somebody who has spilled out blatently false information to me before - Case in point, Rod's aluminator engine.

And now he admits that he did in fact leave out that "hard to reach bolt". Big surprise.

Jim does your parrot need to follow you everywhere you go ?

- Dan

Well Jim, you do it your way, I do it mine. Its a matter of personal preference like I said above.

Its John's decision to make, there is also a Search feature on this board as this topic has been discussed many times in the Technical section. As long as the job gets done, it doesnt matter how you go about doing it.

Im not going to argue over whose way is better, or who is right; because there is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it gets done.

I dont take advice from somebody who has spilled out blatently false information to me before - Case in point, Rod's aluminator engine.

And now he admits that he did in fact leave out that "hard to reach bolt". Big surprise.

Jim does your parrot need to follow you everywhere you go ?

- Dan

Dan

I think your wasting your breath like no one cares what you have to say anymore its not worth my time to teach you the right way do it your way have a great time doing it the hard way. We dont need another BS thread going on here understand my point? enough class over

Then why do you keep responding ??

Ive proven you wrong before Jim; youve never proven anything.

- Dan

John

I see you got your head gaskets issues fixed how is it working?

Thermagasket - headgasket repair

All I have to say is...

IT WORKS... AND WORKS DAW-GONE GOOD FOR THE SC !!!

Last edited:
WOW I didn't ant to start fight I just mentioned a hard to get to with poor mans tools bolt me i don't have the good stuff and i read somewhere to leave that bolt off i think David n posted it and maybe the bracket deletion I'm not 100% on that so don't have David jump down my throat. i may be miss qouteing .

david is a good guy he has helped me out a time or two as many have .
I just wanted this guy to know about the possible problem with that bolt .

if he does not have a quality swivel he may have a harbor frieght one like me lol

Jim didnt purposly leave out that bolt its not a problem to all and it is also forgetable if you leave it out as many do .Jim is a good guy you wont beleive how much he has helped me past and present.

sorry jim i started some bs without wanting to.

love ya bro you and dwayne are my bestest friends.
well and my sheep but we wont talk about that .

Deleting bolts and brackets imo is never a good idea on any engine you want to keep stock. If you're making a race car well now we're talking about another subject.

Back