Tire pressure

007_SuperCoupe

I'm planning on taking my SC to the strip for the first time, but as of now I have really sh!tty street tires. (The ones on the car when I got it just over a year ago) I want to try to get a little better traction, so I'm planning on dropping the pressure in my tires. What would be a good pressure to run at? I was thinking somewhere between 28 and 32 lbs, but am not sure about it. Anyone have any suggestions?

dropping pressure?? damn i keep mine at 28 for regular driving and for every psi above i can feel alot more difference in how big each bump in the road really is. I would go with 20 if not lower.

I'm running 44 lbs right now, that's why I'm asking. I had problems this last winter with my tires going flat. There was not any holes in the tires, just too low of pressure. At 35 lbs, they would be flat in about 2 days. Stiff side walls need the pressure. At least with these tires. Since then I have decided to follow the tire manufacture recommended pressure and I haven't had a problem since. And by the way, I still have the stock wheels.

Hey Sam, what's going on? I usually drop my street tires down to 22lbs. I've got a couple more tricks I'll show you also. Oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt to ice down the blower and IC also if you want to. Just bring a cooler along and we can stop at the gas station in Fremont and get a couple bags of ice. I plan on leaving straight from work around 5:30-6:00 if you want to follow me up there. My bro will probally drive up there with me also. Should be a good time!

Thomas

Yeah, I think it's turning into a "family" event. I'm heading up to my folks house after that to help the old man shingle the roof. It'll give me some extra $$ for a little while. At any rate, it looks like I'll be leaving a little bit later than that. My wife doen't get home until about 6. But I've taken tomorrow off so bags and everything should be packed and ready to go. I'm going to try to get up there as soon as possible. I'm thinking that we'll make it out of here at about 6:30 or so. I'll swing by if it is earlier (like around 5:30) Have you got the SC all back together now? Do you think you'll be able to break into the high 12's?

Nope, SC is still apart. I'll have my '97 with me tommorow night. Shooting for a 15.4 with it. See ya tommorow night!

Thomas

If your tires are going flat in 2 days, you have a leak. Period. It might be leaking on the bead, which would mean it wasn't sealed properly when it was installed.

44 pounds is WAY too much tire pressure. Are you going by the pressure printed on the side of the tire? That's usually a maximum pressure rating. And by the time you start driving and your pressure increases, you are exceeding the max. pressure. What tires are these? All Z rated tires have hard sidewalls, and I've never run anything more than 36 lbs. cold pressure.

For daily driving, you should be somewhere in the low 30's of PSI.

As for the track, the only tires you want to drop your pressure in are your rear tires. And somewhere in the low 20's would probably be pretty reasonable.

Dale

tire psi

hey man just some advice. when running anthing but a drag radial, dont go below 20 psi. the tire can unseat from the bead at the big end of the track. i had the luck of being a dumbass and tring to run 15- 18psi, and it cost me a camaro. most manuf. say not to go below 25, but ive been told by a buddy who works for bfg that 20 is ok. good luck at the track

Back