Brake Warning Lamp on

potshotscott

Forum experts,

What drives the brake warning lamp on the dash? I use the hand brake in the SC as a matter of habit (not sure why but I do). I've had the car 5 years and no problems up until yesterday. The handbrake seems to release and go back into its normal position but the car feels like there's extra drag. Is this a simple adjustment of the parking brake? I can't find the write up in my factory manual that explains WHY the brake light is on. The brakes (including) ABS seem to work just fine - but I totally feel some drag.

Ideas?

Brake fluid level and parkbrake drive that light.

How much travel in the parkbrake handle?

Adjusting the cable requires going under the car, near the diff - the cable passes left/right thru a bracket and is fixed by a u-clip. With the park brake released, slide (don't remove) the clip to one side and the spring there will take up slack - then reseat the clip and down. Takes only a moment once you know the process.

I'd wonder if you have a stuck/dragging caliper, but that shouldn't make the light come on. Perhaps there is something stuck inside the parkbrake lever assembly. Might have to lift the center console to take a look, but my experience is with a '90 SC, so your process might vary.

Do the basics first, tho, and confirm the brake fluid is at the level indicated on the housing. Get the wheels off the ground and spin by hand to check for a dragging caliper, but don't assume there isn't an issue once on the road and the system has heat in it etc.

Brake fluid good - found the parking brake adjustment section in the Ford manual. Adjusted brakes - light out car feels normal again. Phew. Thanks Ken

Back