My observations on new Spectra Radiator CU1879 for 94-95 SC's.

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So the 94 teal is getting a new radiator and a few other items. I opted for a Spectra Premium radiator since it is all-metal and has a limited lifetime warranty from Autozone. During the install I ran into a few things that I wanted to share with the group as FYI. At the end, even though the rad seems to be constructed well and seems like it will do the job, I don't think I would purchace the same brand again due to the issues during installation.

Comparison of my old rad (I'm trying to find out what brand it is) and the new rad.

1- My main problem with the rad is the fact that the outlet for the upper rad hose is in a different location than the stock radiator and other aftermarket rads. I had to cut my new Continental (which I understand is the old Goodyear) hose in order to make it fit. I used a set of hose cutters and after trimming both ends, the hose fits fine. It's OK if you're using aftermarket hoses but I would really HATE to have to cut a set of hard-to-find OEM hoses in order to make them fit.

Spectra Premium rad at the bottom, old rad at the top.

This shows the old OEM motorcraft hose with the OEM location vs the location of the new rad outlet (with modified new hose)

Old Motorcraft hose vs new Continental hose...they're about the same size.

OEM motorcraft hose with the amounts that I had to trim from the new hose to make it fit.

2- Drain plug size seems to be different. In the rad that was removed, which is also an aftermarket rad, the thread size is m12x1.25. I had purchased a petcock with a drain (dorman Help! PN: 61123) which fits in the old rad, but does not seem to fit in this new rad. So, now I have to source one to install. The rad came with a plastic petcock with no drain. With the times I've had to drain the radiator recently, I refuse to install another petcock with no drain, so It's a bit of a hassle for me.

3- Radiator had debris inside. As I was preping the radiator for installation I heard something rattling inside. After much moving around I was able to get the debris. This is what was inside. I've changed a handful of rads through the years, but I've never seen anything like it. This kind of looks like defects in manufacturing and sloppy quality control. I can easily see this get pulled through the cooling system and causing issues...busted water pump, plugged thermostat, or worse.

After I get the right petcock I'm hoping quality will prove to be OK and I get many years of use but wanted to give you all a heads up. Caveat Emptor!

Are those new hose clamps in the 3rd picture? Looking to replace my OE clamps, can't seem to find them.

Joe

Are those new hose clamps in the 3rd picture? Looking to replace my OE clamps, can't seem to find them.

Joe

They're not new. I reused my old clamps and just threw a crappy coat of spray paint on them. If you source new ones, I'd be very interested in the PN's.

They're not new. I reused my old clamps and just threw a crappy coat of spray paint on them. If you source new ones, I'd be very interested in the PN's.

You mean something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EMZYWS ? (Not sure what size you need; that's probably the wrong size.)

Addendum: Here's a PDF with a list of possible part numbers; I don't know where to buy them in less than a case lot, but at least now we have possible part numbers (just have to figure out the size in MM): http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/ctb.pdf

RwP

Last edited:
(Not sure what size you need; that's probably the wrong size.)
Thanks Ralph!

Did some looking around after you posted this up. I found an AutoZone repair guide for a Dodge Durango. In the guide it mentions that the size of these clamps is stamped on the back of the clamp. Of course mine are turned where I can't see it! :mad:

Joe

CalifanSC - can you note the numbers on the back of your clamps (off either set of hoses!) and post them here?

Thanks much!

RwP

CalifanSC - can you note the numbers on the back of your clamps (off either set of hoses!) and post them here?

Thanks much!

RwP

Heya Ralph. I was able to finish my radiator install tonight.

For the top hose:
Radiator end - 44
Thermostat housing end- 43

I was not able to get the number from the lower hose clamp at the water pump outlet. The lower rad hose clamp at the lower rad inlet originally was part of the OEM motorcraft hose (it actually came stapled to the hose and looks way different). I'm planning to do a bunch of work on the Chameleon car next so maybe I can get the number for the lower hose clamp at the water pump then, and post it next time.

Thank you sir!

I replaced my lower hose years ago and I remember those wire type clamps on them.

Joe

Replacing a few hoses on the Teal car soon, so I was referencing some of my previous posts.

In case anyone is interested in replacing the lower hose clamp with something similar to the OEM configuration, I found these clamps for a Suzuki Samurai that are very similar. The head of the tightening bolt is a little different, but otherwise, the clamp is almost identical. PN: 09400M60301. Less than $10 for a pair. I'm probably going to try them, and I'll report back on the findings.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1
Back