Support group

ricardoa1

Checking back in after the long hiatus. I got my blue SuperCoupe street racer back and can't seem to be in love, anymore I was excited to receive it and waited for it for a long time. I drove it twice the last two weeks, yesterday I was able to inspected it and got to drive it the entire day. The car is powerful Ira cough but I no longer like the feeling of driving it. I feel I went too far with the car and made things rough and raw in my persuit of making the car perform and last. Which means undoing things I done before. We call it the SC Shuffle.

Well my list for the joy and pleasure killing.
Odo broke
Poly motor mounts, I now hate the vibrations.
Solid IRS bushings, I now hate the vibrations
The rear lower arms keep coming lose at the knuckle. Poly bushings in the rear suspension are possible to blame.
I spent hours clocking the drive shaft still have high speed vibes.
Rear caliper relocation bracket must be bent as the pad contact is flawed
02 wide band keeps over heating
I hate the headers, too much rattle from valve train and heat, yesterday I left the fiancé and newborn in the car with it running, while I went inside a store. I came Back to no clutch pedal, had I left the stock plastic line and not the viper braided, I would have been stranded. Luckily all I had to do is pump the pedal But still fluid is boiling out of the line.
Paint flaws, mind you theyare minor, I can't say the car it is a show car.
Interior wear and defects damn rubber texture peeling.
Tensioners peeling
Headlight bulb broke
Accelerator pedal too heavy 95mm
Clutch heavy
The tb and tuning adjustment woes
Reverse lights don't work
Headliner small tears
The car is loud, but the v6 doesn't sound good, injector tick, rasp and valvetrain.
You get the point. I parked it and gave it a long stare and said well despite it all, I still like looking at it standing, regardless of it being a grandma car in base trim and inspire the fact that nobody but 3 ppl gives a hoot about the car.

I don't have the time to be shuffling and I don't have the funds that require the maintenance and upkeep, so how do I get the spirit back? It was always the community that made the car special, the car was just something in common. But not sure if I even have time for the community.

I'm the kid that left the school and came back a few years later to find out he is too different to be a part of it.

Anyways any thoughts from the gang?

You must be getting old. And so is the car. It is for sure hard to keep up with things as they get old. Your kids getting older and doing things with them takes alot of time. I'm in that position now, too. But I still love the looks and feel of the birds. New cars are nice with all the gadgets but I still like the raw low to the ground feel of the bird. Only thing I hate about my red car is the tire bounce, need new tires. Oh and the headliner falling down and the heat from the trans tunnel(think that is cause of aftermarket non insulated carpet) and I would like some new wheels but got no money.

Anyway I think you can see where I'm going. Theres always things us car guys want to change about any car we really like. It sucks growing up. Take it out to some windy roads that always puts a smile on my face with the 5 speed car. Oh and put some red locktite on the bolt. That I could see getting old.

I also don't know how it feels with the solid control arm bushings, but I prolly wouldn't mind feeling the road more, rather than stuff moving directions I don't want it to.

Oh and if you want to get rid of it. I got Tree Fiddy. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for replying guys.

Chris you might be spot on. You just reminded me why I put all the poly stuff on. It's a catch 22 on that. I want to put the stock stuff back on but don't want those said issues, broken motor mounts, wheel hop.

I can't have it all with this car it's obvious no matter how hard I try. I focus on making it go, to keep up with the best but I throw the comfort stuff out the window. Maybe I was fooling myself into the compromise, but for what a good day at the shootout?

The best feeling recently, was when I realized my ac works well and the card did not overheat. I brag about that now.

Im not trying to nag or complain or sell it for pennies on the dollar. You can clearly see the frustration and it's not the first time. The idea of leaving the car outside and using it as a normal car comes to mind racking up miles, letting bird poop etch the paint, letting it corrode and depreciating it as you would a normal car.

I'm I the only one who feels this pain? Not sure I'm I am being too negative I've been around for a long time.

this year I see list to complete threads instead of the actual smack taking threads. Is that not a coincidence? Misery loves company.

I feel like you do about my car a lot. I have spent so much time modding the car and so little driving it. I love the look and performance but hate the V6 sound. Never sounds good like a V8. I painted it over 10 years ago and the paint is worn and plenty of rock chips. There is so many little things to do yet on the car and I spend so much time under the hood. I have no plans to get rid of the car but I dont spend near as much time working on the car as I use to and dont drive it much as it is more a toy than a drive it everywhere car. Guys like David Clark have far past me on detail and functionality. Guess my car and I are feel old:rolleyes: As for smack talk my rival Ryan and I havent raced each other for a long time. This shootout I guess my sights are keeping up with Neibert's Whipple powered car.

Ken

Sad to see you blue Ricardo. :(

One thing that's kept me going is the struggle. The struggle to go faster and only spend a couple hundred bucks a year on the car...to lose at the Shootout, but barely! I've wondered what it would feel like when the struggle was gone. Although frustrating, to realize you'll probably never be the best at anything but to enjoy helping out the guys/gals that ARE the best are what make it fulfilling to me.

Also, watching the "newbies" turn into the "veterans" is awesome. :) Especially when they get told their ideas are stupid, find out it's true, but still stick around anyway...lol. Unfortunately, the inevitable will happen...there won't be any newbies. What then? I don't know....just inevitable.

-BUT-

As long as people are making time to meet and wrench, the SC spirit will live on. Jacob, Dave C and Randy a few weeks ago are a great example! Life makes it tough sometimes, but I know there are many other members meeting up to mess with car junk...those are the best times. :)

Small meets are vital to a club's existence....and they make the big ones even better! :D

I'm always shocked to hear that some of you guys pretty much work on your cars alone (I do most of the time...so I'm not excluded)...it seems to me that some of the strongest members have cars that have had "many cooks in the kitchen". Either that or their just too stubborn or maybe too dumb to quit...lol.

I'd like to see more people come to the Shootout and/or Carlisle that have not attended before meeting SCer's from across the continent is pretty cool. As a matter of fact, my opinion of Canada has improved drastically just because of meeting some of our Canuck club members and hanging out with them a little bit.

Also, it gets brought up all the time, but I think our club could use some some common "enemies"....GTP clubs are brought up often....but even like a SCCoA vs. TCCoA meet would be fun...I know some TCCoA members do already attend the Shootout, but making an effort to pit one club against another may revive some of the spirit that gets lost.

I know I don't have any new ideas here...just that maybe it's time to do a little more reaching out to each other and/or other car enthusiasts...even if they're ricers! lol

The SC-Shootout..... the people involved, the history of it, the banter, the TBU box of crap, the wrenching, the new people, the challenges, the food, even the drama and lessons learned is a great place to get new relationships and goals going. I wish we could give new-comers perks to attend. I wouldnt't even mind co-sponsoring new attendees, if that'd help.

Hope you decide to keep going Ricardo - there are plenty of people that were looking for your car when you weren't able to bring it. You've been a key member of the club and have been missed!!

Yep, feel your pain Rico. Life is life and priorities change, and the SC is not at the top of the list. I'll find out how I feel behind the wheel again this weekend after 3 long years.... yes my car took that long because of life and some of the components didn't even exist until just a couple months ago...

I think your Mustang is what you strive to match the SC too and it'll never get there.

Like Matt and Ryan have said.

Its tough when you are the only one in an area. I've met a few guys from Yellow Bullet and going to the big races so that is kinda getting me in the mood again.... now I just need money.

And you been playing with that Mustang too long.

I feel fortunate to live in an area with several members close by. Life does happen. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed, but I haven't really done anything to my car in over 7 years--guess what, my youngest is 6. Sure my car needs paint and definitely needs a refresh of the 15 year old short block, but there never seems to be the funds. These days I really enjoy cruising with my kids. I think I've driven my car more this year locally than the past 7 or 8 years.

I've just learned to love the car for what it is. Eventually, I'll get to some of my wants for the car. But for now, I'll stick with the family things and hanging out with some of my closest friends (which happen to own Super Coupes).

Hang in there Rico.

I feel fortunate to live in an area with several members close by. Life does happen. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed, but I haven't really done anything to my car in over 7 years--guess what, my youngest is 6. Sure my car needs paint and definitely needs a refresh of the 15 year old short block, but there never seems to be the funds. These days I really enjoy cruising with my kids. I think I've driven my car more this year locally than the past 7 or 8 years.

I've just learned to love the car for what it is. Eventually, I'll get to some of my wants for the car. But for now, I'll stick with the family things and hanging out with some of my closest friends (which happen to own Super Coupes).

Hang in there Rico.

Thank you Kurt, Matt, Ryan and Ken.

I did not want to bring the mustang to the conversation because it has always been the car the SC has been living in the shadows of. But I can be reasonable and realistic, the issue is that I want to stop and enjoy like Kurt did, focus on life and drive the car to cars and coffee, meets and events.

But god I want to feel like things paid off. I'm not going WOT every moment so the power is irrelevant, although I didn't know how fast the mustang was till I drove the SC for comparison. But I am a realist, I get 500whp is about all the SC has without reinventing the wheel. My issues with the car has to do with its function and purpose, the car is stuck in a point where its doing nothing well by todays standards.
To put back all the rubber bushings and mounts back on the car, then what Ill be back to wheel hop and broken parts. Then there is the damn driveshaft/diff vibes. The rest I can get past it or fix in due time, I find it silly further turning the car into a race car, gut etc. to run high 11s low 12s once a year, is that even impressive now a days?

This epiphany happened when I was gave the fiancé a ride for the first time. She has known me for 3 year and all this talk about the blue car and how its the coolest thing ever here I am trying to explain suspension noises, rattles and vibrations.
She was silent for most of the ride. I guess if you don't have anything good to say don't say nothing at all? Guess I was fooling myself.

I'm glad I am not the only one in this situation, I told Tim over text. The SC and the Club is like a street gang, its hard to get out and there will be consequences.

I feel youre pain brother! I have been ready to burn my crap down for years now. And for some reason i just keep dumping money in it lol I guess i am getting old myself. Driving newer stuff has ruined me! My truck is 2012 and my daily is a 2012 it makes the SC and the cobra feel like a big piece of crap. Maybe its my age showing? The cobra rides like crap and is loud... The sc rides a little less like crap but stops like crap and is also loud.. BUT i do love driving it when i do...its just not a drive every day car anymore.

Ricardo,

Everyone with a lot done to their 25 year old SC has the same feelings from time to time. If not for attending meets like the Shootout and doing car stuff like Power Tour with the other SC/XR7 guys in the area my car would probably never come out of the garage. I also hear what you are saying about the feel of driving it not being any fun if it vibrates, bounces and drones while you are dripping in sweat. Generally speaking, the idea of driving a car with all those cool go-fast mods you imagine having is always better than the real life experience.

After removing subframe connectors and switching to a Denny's driveshaft most of the road noise and vibrations were gone. Having a new set of shocks installed also made a huge improvement in the ride. Treating myself to a new headunit with USB and Bluetooth along with some fresh speakers made long drives much more pleasant. If I had a less slippy converter and functional AC I would drive it a lot more often. I've pretty much fixed all the little nagging stuff like upgrading the LC1 wideband that overheated and constantly stopped working for a newer model that is rock solid. My car has been tuned to death and is probably as good as it's going to get, now if I could just figure out how to keep it working right instead of slowly drifting to being too rich or too lean.

I still sit on a lot of spare parts like jackshaft accessory brackets, ABS motor & pump, accumulator, spare alternators, polished underdrives ect... Just because I think I will eventually need them if I keep the car. Don't plan to ever get rid of my white SC, but don't enjoy driving it anywhere near as much as the 14 GT500 or the 16 Challenger Hellcat. It's still fun to get out once in a while and cruise around in. I also think it still looks great for it's age.

Just try enjoying the car for what it is, instead of comparing it to a modern muscle car.

David

Another potential idea to revive some excitement....driving an all-original, low-mile SC after having a modifed one for years...well...just feels right. :)

Maybe I'm not SUGGESTING it, but there's nothing wrong getting familiar with other cars either. I'd really like to build a 2nd Gen RX-7 with a Ford motor. I'd like to do a 2.3L Turbo....maybe an old 5.0L (but everybody does that :rolleyes:) but heck...maybe sticking with the 3.8L SC would be more fun. Get to hang out with the same guys (you KNOW you wouldn't get chased off), enjoy something different and yet the same.

Regardless, our SC experiences will stay with us for the rest of our days....our kids might not give a crap about the old Thunderbird and that's okay. I work with an old guy that is still into those nasty looking Avantis....he still talks about them like we talk about SC's....but it's not about parts and what's new on the scene - it's about the guy in Michigan that knows the motors inside-out or the guy that still races his on the Salt Flats, etc. Staying connected to the community is whats important....I think we have an advantage nowadays!

Another potential idea to revive some excitement....driving an all-original, low-mile SC after having a modifed one for years...well...just feels right. :)

Maybe I'm not SUGGESTING it, but there's nothing wrong getting familiar with other cars either. I'd really like to build a 2nd Gen RX-7 with a Ford motor. I'd like to do a 2.3L Turbo....maybe an old 5.0L (but everybody does that :rolleyes:) but heck...maybe sticking with the 3.8L SC would be more fun. Get to hang out with the same guys (you KNOW you wouldn't get chased off), enjoy something different and yet the same.

Regardless, our SC experiences will stay with us for the rest of our days....our kids might not give a crap about the old Thunderbird and that's okay. I work with an old guy that is still into those nasty looking Avantis....he still talks about them like we talk about SC's....but it's not about parts and what's new on the scene - it's about the guy in Michigan that knows the motors inside-out or the guy that still races his on the Salt Flats, etc. Staying connected to the community is whats important....I think we have an advantage nowadays!

I don't want to be that old guy. I have a progressive mentality,

I didn't feel like this when I was putting the anniversary together I left behind all the parts that didn't make cost per dollar sense behind. And even then I went overboard on some things, but I felt savvy and kept it simple. Wheels cut springs, and nice paint.

I was looking find a reason to sell the mustang and consolidate again but not sure I want that now.

I get where you are coming from... I have such fond memories of the car as a teenager and always dreamed of turning it into a beast. So after many years I was able to fix it up and make it pretty strong. But its not the same car I grew up with and I definitely dont think of it as a get in and go anywhere car. Now its a... less than 85 degree day, not a big deal if i dont make it on time, and dont have to drive for more than an hour kind of car.

I may not enjoy jumping in it every day, but I do enjoy wrenching on it. I enjoy challenging myself and learning new things. Now I think of it as a hobby. I still love to drive it, and I really like it when people ask me about it at the gas station or a stop light. Making time to meet up with other car folks helps as much as anything. I have a buddy at work who is a Camaro guy, but we talk automotive stuff all the time. That keeps me interested in working on mine. Going to cars and coffee, or the local drag strip, even destroying a mustang on the highway also keeps me interested. But at the end of the day, your life is how you choose to spend your time. Everyone has to decide how they want to spend it.

FWIW, my wife loves that I love my bird, but she wont ride in it anymore... she just doesnt get it. And that is ok. We each have our own things.

As a newbie I hope you can find the happy point once again. Nobody close makes it hard. My 95 will not be operational until next year. The 89 hope sooner. If not it is ok. Every time walk out the front door and see the pair it is what great looking cars. Looked at 68 Cougars and 63 Thunderbirds for years decided to go with SC's.
Creighton

For the last few years I've had a flip/flop relationship with my SC. For the last few years I've probably only put 150 miles a year on it, if that. When I first bought it back in 2005 there were about 5-6 SC's around my parts and we hung out at car meets and talked shop but now they're not around and my interest had decreased a bit. I now have another toy, 1980 Jeep CJ5, that I've been enjoying. One thing for sure is that I'll never sell it and when I do take it out for a spin I love the looks that I get from others and when I light the tires up it still puts a smile on my face........:)

Attachments

• 12Aug26_0066A.jpg
    12Aug26_0066A.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
As a "newbie" to the group, along with very likely being a generation younger than most here (27 tomorrow), these cars are tough but why also why I now have two of them. My 92 was in my family since 94, and I grew up in that car. Went many places with just my mom in that car. My parents fell on hard times not long after buying it, and my mom refused to sell it to "take the easy way out" because she loved it so much. Turned 16, they weren't driving it, and handed it down to me. When I met my wife after graduating high school, that car was the first car we drove in together. To others, it's not worth anything nor do many even know what it is, but to me it's way more than that.

My wife never really understood it, she shows horses so cars/trucks are a tool and not a hobby, but it wasn't until I went to Carlisle this year that she saw first hand how into my SC I am. She's been that much more supportive since the show because she finally understood that how she feels about her horse is how I feel about my car. (My F-250 is cleaned before every horse show and she doesn't get that though). For myself, that was my first show, and it sparked what has now kind of become an obsession. I played sports up through college, and coached high school football for three years until I got a new job. I never got to wrench on anything so now that I have time (no kids...yet), I picked up my 91 in a salvage yard, and have been under the hood ever since. I'm an impatient perfectionist, which gets me in trouble sometimes, but I'm learning and building something that is uniquely mine. I also read posts on here, and you guys make everything seem so darn easy. I like to forget that this is all new to me so that doesn't help, but I'm getting there.

Before Carlisle, I had this plan that my garage would be my 92 and a newer Mustang. After realizing that our group is quite small/unique compared to the thousands of Mustangs that go to Carlisle, I made the decision to go a different route. I like having something that other people don't. I'm not looking to make my 91 a 500 rwhp car, but something that will be uniquely mine. Yes, I will add some power to it, but I want it be comfortable and regularly drive-able too without having to worry about it. They aren't V8 monsters nor are they really an "attention grabbing" car like some others, but that's OK for me. I'm more worried about the aftermarket in the next few years as more and more of these cars go away. :(

Back