Question

dwayne

Banned
Today my dad and i put new brakes on the 89.Front and rear.when it was up on lift we noticed ,in front and back 4 sprocketes 2 in front the other 2 in rear where the axle housing meets in the middle on both sides of rearend.were a little dirty dad cleaned them off real good.Question is what are they for and what do they do.

Today my dad and i put new brakes on the 89.Front and rear.when it was up on lift we noticed ,in front and back 4 sprocketes 2 in front the other 2 in rear where the axle housing meets in the middle on both sides of rearend.were a little dirty dad cleaned them off real good.Question is what are they for and what do they do.
Those are the ABS sensor rings.

you have a sensor that catches a signal each time one of those teeth come close to it. Think of the sensor as a magnet that sends a signal out every time one of those teeth get really close. Those sensors think much faster then you and I can considering how fast those teeth spin!:) Good idea on cleaning them up, sometimes with enough crud on the sensor magnet or ring can cause the signal to not be very good. I beleive I had a problem at one point, cleaning up all those sensors and reluctors seemed to fix my intermittent ABS light.

Chris

Last edited:
Back