Aluminum Flywheel

90blkbrd

Who all makes a aluminum flywheel for our cars?
Spec
McLeod
Centerforce doesn't (I can't find a listing for one)

I would like to confirm which one I have so I can order a new friction surface. I was told the flywheel was part number SF35910 and the friction surface was SF14A.

How much can be taken off a friction surface before it is to thin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope post pictures of mine later today.

FYI Spec is closed until Monday.

Last edited:
Maybe pictures will help get a response.

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

My goodness what did you do. :eek:

I would check for cracks First. Ill check my manual to see that is the max a flywheel should be machined.

I just noticed I am not sure if they can turn that now that its off the flywheel. So just replace it.
Do a google search for the friction part # maybe another vendor/warehouse has it on their shelf.

I think the clutch gave up the ghost.

Centerforce dual friction clutch

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

Last edited:
Becareful with talking to them when you get a hold of them.
SF14A is the whole flywheel.
SF14A is the part # they list for the 89-93 cars in their new catalogue. They had a different part # before. It seems that they got smart and only offer one Flywheel to fit both the earlier cars 11" an later cars 11.5". Same as Mcleod.
I think that the SF14A # will have a 11.5" friction surface since they list to fit both year periods.

If I recall correctly, that was supposed to be a pretty new clutch. When you start re-assembly I would check to make sure you get complete clutch release with the pedal all the way to the floor and well as complete release of the pressure plate when your foot is off the pedal.

I seem to recall that most of the aluminum flywheels were all essentially the same parts all made by one company or at least sure looked that way.

By my estimation the clutch had ~15-20k on it.

Spec has 10 inner bolts and 10 outer bolts on this flywheel. The picture I found of the Mcleod showed 9 inner and ~15 (I forget) outer.

I have pictures of hand etched numbers on the flywheel. But they don't match up to any numbers I can find. I talked to a rep with www.lmperformance.com and they referred me on to Spec.

Mine is 11".

You don't wear out a clutch. You destroy them due to things like 2nd gear burnouts and other user misuses.

I think I know why Ira's clutch was slipping on me at least. I can't pull my longass legs back enough to release the clutch without my knee hitting the steering wheel. :eek:

I was very nice to the clutch up until the day I took it to the track. The line locks have only been used for a "hill holder" the whole time they worked. I've hammered on the car hard after it was moving, but the extent of any kind of excessive launches I can count on 3 fingers and they were all what I would call a light launch. I'm so worried about wheel hop and that seems to be a lot worse when it is cold and I have hardly had the opportunity to drive it on a 70 degree day or warmer. :(

You destroy them due to things like 2nd gear burnouts

I was told to do that and won't ever do it again.

other user misuses

And they are....

And they are....

It's kind of like the guy who says "I heard a rod knock but I figured I'd just drive it little further taking it real easy...." If you ever smell clutch then you are done for the day. Finito. Finished. Go home, think about what you did that caused the smell, figure out how you will do things differently next time, put some more miles on to wear off the glaze that you just put on it, and try again another day.

If you can't figure out what you did that caused your problems, then a call to the manufacturer would be a good next step. Relying on the advice of someone who went quicker than you doesn't generally constitute doing the right thing.

I typically give out advice based on my experience and knowledge which despite my best efforts is flawed. I would only even follow my own advice insomuch as it is in alignment with the advice of professionals and/or the manufacturers. Do some legwork. I can't tell you exactly what you (or anyone else) is doing that constitutes misuse especially being that I have never driven with you but I do know that the clutches that have been burned up above have also performed excellently in other similar applications.

For example in a little bit different situation, I was experiencing poor traction with my Hoosier slicks. I didn't understand what the problem was but I didn't go on the forums asking for advice. The first thing I did was make sure I was following the instructions of the manufacturer (tire pressure, burnout, etc.). Then I contacted Hoosier and explained my situation. Turns out the tires were too soft of a compound for the weight and power of my car. The advice of Hoosier was to reverse direction of the tires every 3 passes (well and get some bigger tires). Point is that friends are always happy to tell you what seems to work for them but you have to be careful whose advice you take. Just because something seems to "work" for some people doesn't make it right.

I can't tell you exactly what you (or anyone else) is doing that constitutes misuse especially being that I have never driven with you but I do know that the clutches that have been burned up above have also performed excellently in other similar applications.

I have riden with Michael. He's a gear slammer. ;)

Becareful with talking to them when you get a hold of them.
SF14A is the whole flywheel.
SF14A is the part # they list for the 89-93 cars in their new catalogue. They had a different part # before. It seems that they got smart and only offer one Flywheel to fit both the earlier cars 11" an later cars 11.5". Same as Mcleod.
I think that the SF14A # will have a 11.5" friction surface since they list to fit both year periods.

Called spec today and the SF14A has a 11" wear surface. He physically when and check one out.

Sent him the pictures of the flywheel and gave him all of the numbers off of the flywheel, and he said none of them match anything in their system.

If you look at the back side of the flywheel there is a spot where there was a sticker and it looks like the shape of a Spec sticker. Rep from Spec said they never put the sticker on the back, only on the front and the SF14A should be engraved on the flywheel.

He said it probably will fit, so I ordered one. Should be here Wednesday - Thursday.

Sounds like they dont know what is what

So what is the part # they use for the 11.5 clutch kit they use?

The spec rep did mention another aluminum flywheel producer.

sedanza

I couldn't find anything about them.

Called spec today and the SF14A has a 11" wear surface. He physically when and check one out.

Sent him the pictures of the flywheel and gave him all of the numbers off of the flywheel, and he said none of them match anything in their system.

If you look at the back side of the flywheel there is a spot where there was a sticker and it looks like the shape of a Spec sticker. Rep from Spec said they never put the sticker on the back, only on the front and the SF14A should be engraved on the flywheel.

He said it probably will fit, so I ordered one. Should be here Wednesday - Thursday.
my spec flywheel had the oval SPEC sticker on the back of it

Back