Thread: Windshield fun..... NOT!

Hybrid View

Windshield fun..... NOT!

Well, I finally decided to have the driver's door glass and the windshield water leak fixed at my local glass shop.
    They said the glass was easy, took like 45 minutes.... Then came the windshield.....(Gloomy music please!)
    Someone prior to me, tried to replace the windshield and forgot to seal it!!! So it was little wonder that you got a shower either in the car wash or when driving faster than 30 MPH in the rain!
    Needless to say, they also cracked it when they were installing it, so-o-o to make a sad story short..... I'm getting a new windshield!
    The good news is..... It won't leak AND I'll be able to see clearly now! (Sounds like a great name for a song, huh?)
    With the car sitting overnight Iwon't have to wait to roll the driver's window down!!!!
    Lance

I can see clearly now.....

Picked up the SC..... One more set of things fixed!!
    By the way..... A new windshield is under $200. With the install, it was $324. Included a new seal and clips.
    Just FYI,
    Lance

What seal? it should be only the windshield and adhesive. The metal trim mouldings are the only seals that are left.

Since the glass shop broke the windshield shouldn't they be paying for it?

Not the glass shop....

Not the glass shop I took it to, the previous replacement didn't seal the windshield. It was chipped and had small cracks in 3 places that were discovered after the shop removed the windshield intact and was cleaning off some sort of silicone adhesive to reinstall it. They think whoever did the last instal used the silicone to try and prevent the windshield from cracking. It sort of worked, but they didn't use the sealant to set the windshield. So of course, it leaked!
    I talked with one of the previous owners and he never drove it rain, so he didn't know the windshield leaked! I am using it a bit more, so I get to find all these neat things....

That black trim along the top of the windshield is actually a seal!! The old one looked aged and faded, with the new windshield it is brand new. The glass shop also said there is a sealant that is supposed to be laid down before the new windshield and seal go in, along the top and the bottom of the windshield in order to prevent the leak that I had. and to prevent a cowel leak. that was done too.
    I'll find out next rain storm!!!
    Now! A new accumulator balll, and get the A/C recharged and we are ALMOST all back together!!

ALthough I do like the car, so it is worth it.

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by LOLA View Post
    Since the glass shop broke the windshield shouldn't they be paying for it?

I have to set a few things straight.
    The windshield is held in place using urathane(look very much like silicone,but much stronger), someone may have tried to seal the windshield leak with silicone but it was not installed with silicone as it would have flown out of the car long ago.
    The moulding on top of the windshield is in NO way a seal,no matter what bs the glass shop fed you,i9t is only there to fill the windshield install channel so that it looks finished,it is not a seal of anything.
    It is quite common on older fords that the factory windshield adhesive comes off and causes a major water leak(i know as mine was an oe windshield and came off almost all the way around,very little was holding it in),it will look like it was not sealed correctly but at one time it was.
    Silicone will not stop cracks,your windsield was probably doing the same as mine and de laminating due to age, this happens right at the corners underneith the moldings and cowl so you can't see it until they are removed.
    Just figured i'd repair your misinformation.

Ah. I thought you meant the shop you took it to cracked the windshield that was in the car while removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by drlance View Post
    Not the glass shop I took it to, the previous replacement didn't seal the windshield. It was chipped and had small cracks in 3 places that were discovered after the shop removed the windshield intact and was cleaning off some sort of silicone adhesive to reinstall it. They think whoever did the last instal used the silicone to try and prevent the windshield from cracking. It sort of worked, but they didn't use the sealant to set the windshield. So of course, it leaked!
    I talked with one of the previous owners and he never drove it rain, so he didn't know the windshield leaked! I am using it a bit more, so I get to find all these neat things....

That black trim along the top of the windshield is actually a seal!! The old one looked aged and faded, with the new windshield it is brand new. The glass shop also said there is a sealant that is supposed to be laid down before the new windshield and seal go in, along the top and the bottom of the windshield in order to prevent the leak that I had. and to prevent a cowel leak. that was done too.
    I'll find out next rain storm!!!
    Now! A new accumulator balll, and get the A/C recharged and we are ALMOST all back together!!

ALthough I do like the car, so it is worth it.

Lance