White '95...

Yeah thats not really a Bondo job. Personally i do not use more then 1/8" of filler on any jobs. To many problems with paint and down the road with more then that. Quarter panels can quite often cause a car to be totals because they are weld on panels and if the damage is bad enough and it is not possible to pull it from the front side or it has damaged some support on the back it will need replaced which is very expensive. Luckily for you were the hit is i believe a tech should be able to get to the back side of the panel via the trunk, so i do not think it will be totaled,

-Jon

Uhh Jason............. A Prospot...... Last i checked those are used to do spot welds.... doesn't seem helpful in this situation.. Only way i have ever seen those used to pull dents is to weld the tip to the panel and pull, but seriously why not just use a Hammer and dolly and a stud nail gun..... Alot cheaper and easier

-Jon

a prospot is a brand of nail gun. so you can pull it. Plus would be easyer than dolly and hammer. plus with the dolly and hammer you have a chance of oil canning the metal if your not carefull.

The only prospot i have ever seen is a spot welder, but its a moot point so i will just take your word that there is a stud nail gun made by prospot. As for the oil canning any some what experienced tech should have no problems with that. If you give your car to a decent tech you should never have that problem, but even if you do heat shrinking is not that hard to do

Got some quotes yesterday and it's looking like a $1500-$1700 job. I am going to push the measure with ins. to have them wetsand and buff/polish the entire car when the new paintwork is done. That should allow for a better matchup and hopefully whiten up the old paint a bit. We'll see what they say when the time comes.

I am also getting done: sideskirts, door handles, and rear bumper embossing smoothed out. To you body guys, whats the best thing to use to have the embossing filled in? Both shops didn't want to touch it because they said the bondo would shrink. Whats the correct material to use? Anyway, after all that stuff is done, I'll be finished on the outside, save for a new hood... TBD'd

After I get her back, it's going straight to the garage. I have a lot of things I want to get finished up before my powerplant swap... Doing a hubswap with Cobra brakes and white Miglias w/ dunlop 245/275. Then on to a full black interior like the old car inculding: Mystic Cobra steering wheel, shifter, and handbrake all wrapped in black suede with white stiching, Corbeau TRS in black micro suede, some sort of awesome dash pieces?, fully dynamatted, rear seat delete with amp rack, new tint job @ 20% all around, new VIPER alarm/remote start, and maybe finish off the stereo to a double DIN navi unit and some Infinity componets. Whew, thats a lot of work!:eek: Anyway, it will basically finish off the car save for the drivetrain. I am hopeful to address that after the first of the year... goal is on the streets by may of 2010.

-Joel

Joel! you were hallucinating from your high-ness this morning!

mercyme.jpg

It was REAL :eek:

Hey Joel - just in case you missed it on TCCoA, check this out http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=123875

It was brought up at the June Meet about the auto down for the sunroof, it looks like someone has done it.

-Melon

Sounds good, I'll have to hook one up when my interior goes down this fall. My Stang has auto up and down, I want to see if it's one module to do both... would be a good feature for windows and especially the moonroof.

-Joel

Picked up my MMC driveshaft today. It is shiny. Makes me want to have a polished rear diffy to match... hrmmm. :p Anyway, it is to be followed with a 3.73 TL and fully built trans with mach 1 convertor.

Going to Tallant's body shop in NKC this week for their estimate, and to see if they are willing to smooth out the "THUNDEREBIRD SC" in the rear bumper. Then fight with the insurance company about getting the entire car wetsanded and buffed. Hoping to have it in the shop I choose early next week, after Tyler brings me some sideskirts this weekend. :cool:

I need some help with the dash pieces. Everything as of right now is black, except for some white accents, like gauges, and stitching, and some brushed aluminum, like my door sills, and head unit. Right now, I am thinking of 4 options... which would you do?

-White paint to match outside
-Black soft touch paint
-Chrome paint (will look like real chrome)
-Simulated brushed Aluminum applique

-Joel

White painted dash pieces would scream rice.

Chrome? Yous be reppin da hood, homie?

Brushed would look good in the right places.

Black would be good in most places.

dash-white600.jpg

If everything is done in white, and crappily, then yes it would be rice. That being said, done well (the above picture) I think pulls it off very nice. Mine would be similarly done to the above.

Chrome would just be original... and give me some serious contrast. Black suede and chrome look good... I just wonder if it's too much, and the bling would be bothersome. I don't want the inside of my car to be like a Harley.

Brushed is nice, but how to do it, and have it done well are a problem.

Black soft touch... could but meh... kinda like stock.

Guess I don't have to decide for a while, I have plenty of crap to do before those need to go in, they're last on the interior list.

-Joel

See, I think the white there looks incredibly tackey. There's just too much contrast. It's almost as bad as wood grain.

What's wrong with it looking close to stock??

See, I think the white there looks incredibly tackey. There's just too much contrast. It's almost as bad as wood grain.

What's wrong with it looking close to stock??

The same thing thats wrong with your two question marks. If I do my interior all black, and then have black dash panels, there is too much black. I want some contrast in there. Also, the stock black rubber doesn't match well at all with the black dye I use. After looking at the white, I agree... too much and tacky. I am thining to the black soft touch paint, or possibly trying to wrap them in a suede if I can find a strechy one. Now what I would love is to have the panels cast in aluminum! :p

-Joel

Took a nice drive down to Jim's place tonight, picked up a set of sideskirts. Thanks again Jim, they look great, can't wait to get them painted and put on. Also props to Ryan on awesome directions.

Dropping it off at the shop on Monday, if the adjuster will quit jacking around with me. I am also helping to start up a group purchase on some glass hoods on TCCoA (PM if interested), as my new setup will definitely not clear... I'm worried about the new hood clearing too. Anyway, it's been years I've wanted to get these things finished up so I can't wait to see the final product. Save for wheels, I think it's going to look like Serno's 94 Bird, with a few different details. Pics to come soon I hope!

I need to get on the ball... the garage is filling up! It's going to be a fun fall and winter. :)

SSPX0116.jpg

SSPX0117.jpg

SSPX0118.jpg

-Joel

Good to hear the ground effects will work for you Joel.

I know the feeling about getting started. I just my garage straightened out again last weekend and then I hauled more stuff home from the yards on Friday.:eek:

Back