Sooo, coated rotors and 25% OD? No?

DriftingThunder

I've read coated rotors on a blower at 25% OD is futile due to the coating flaking off anyways in at least one thread but I see coated rotors still being a reinforced idea in some other threads, on similar setups? Maybe I'm just confused? What is the final word on using coated rotors at 25% or more OD? :confused:

On my MPIII the coated rotors didnt last very long. After tear down and moving to the MPX I just went back with regular uncoated rotors. Seemed a waste of money to put coated ones back just to have them flake off at the speed I was turning them....

I have coated rotors in a MPX at 15% and they are fine BUT even MP doesn't offer them anymore....that should tell you something

Maybe it is due to me spinning my up 30% over. When I pulled the top off and seperated the supercharger apart the coating was gone on mine. I think Leitham said he had the same issue with his.....

I haven't taken the top off yet to look, but after a summer of spinning my MPIII at 20% OD, it's missing just over a pound of boost. So we're suspecting that the coating has flung off.

cheers
Ed N.

I bought a set of GTP coated rotors when I first bought my MPX and installed them awaiting the rebuilding of my motor so I've never ran them, good thing with all the hoop-la about the coating coming off............:rolleyes:

Just out of curiousity has anyone tried overdriving uncoated rotors in a coated case? :)

I have run a coated case with uncoated rotors at 30% over drive with no problems on a mpiii style blower .

Im getting a tvs from a GT owner who is going twin turbos that will be a fun combo if i can fit it with my new inverted manifld im building but yeah uncoated rotos in coated case no problems but air still blleds back between rotors as coating removes the gap

Back