BBF in a MN12

Toms-SC

So I've taken an interest in some old school big block ford love and I can only think of one person who has made this work (pro street rich). Is there anybody else out there who has done this swap? Specifically looking at a 460? Pictures?

Reason I ask is that David has posted some pictures of his turbo car and damn that engine bay is tight. :eek:

I think there are at least three. Rich, his son, and another guy in WI I believe. I think Rich even helped him git er in. If you do a search, he has posted pix in the past. I would actually like at least three more MN12s and one of them would have a big block.

Chris

Rich built his own. I went down to his house and saw them. I bought a set off of ebay and modified the brackets to weld in.

they are made to fit the car.

Rich if you are reading this what did you do for motor mounts?

I have had a lot of guys ask if I could build them for their car. I have been willing to explain how to do it. The reason is that everyone wants things different. Add to that the oil pan used, exhaust, and location that everyone is looking to get... Look at what is out there and let me know if you need any more info.....Rich

there are a bunch of these cars out there..

So I've taken an interest in some old school big block ford love and I can only think of one person who has made this work (pro street rich). Is there anybody else out there who has done this swap? Specifically looking at a 460? Pictures?

Reason I ask is that David has posted some pictures of his turbo car and damn that engine bay is tight. :eek:

There is one that runs at the Grove all the time, Tim you have seen that one. There is two around the "Motor City" that are both 514's but only one of the guys ever comes around this page. There is one that was being built out in MT. way but I don't think that one ever got finished. Also there is one in Las Veges as well that has been done for a few years now...
I have helped a few other guys with their cars as well but I am not sure how far they got after the engines were in the car. There is also one down around the Windy City that the guy won't talk about. He is building that one for the street,and that engine is really wild, with a "R3" blower on it...
So as you can see there are a bunch of these cars floatting around. If you want get with me and we can see what it would take to add your name to the list. The best way to do that if you need parts from me is to show up at my door with your car and your hand out.....Rich

OH YEAH!! That'll be the next one!

A BBF Bird will be my next car (project). I really like my '93 SC 6 speed.
If my 3.8 goes south badly, I see a bbf between the fenders. already got a T56 in the car and a BBF-LS1 T56 bellhousing in the garage.
Wife says that the Super in Supercoupe means Supercharged! So I'll have to work on that!
Rich, Thanks for info on your work, saves others money on body work so they don't have to throw as many tools around the shop!

MikeH

I think the reason you don't see alot of BBF's around here is the typical attitude of alot of folks around here of it can't be done. That just tells those folks to go elsewhere and take on the attitude of why bother.

Its like someone breaking an SC into the 9's... everyone is a know it all and will state it can't be done and gives the shaft up the backside attitude to the person who's done it... instead of saying great job. I thought in our democracy world you are innocent until proven guilty, but I guess that doesn't apply here :rolleyes:.

Its the reason why I won't post some of my best times because I know I'll get told BS despite the fact I've got the ticket to prove it, because folks here will actually say I BS'd the ticket........

What a sad world we live in now... where you are guilty until proven innocent... and innocent only comes because you have agreed to lie about what you did.

Here comes the puke.

Frit

There is a guy from northern Wisconsin that shows up at the Grove once in a while. He has a burnt orange 1990 S.C. drivers it down pulling a little trailer with his slicks and tools in it. Runs mid nines and goes home. Its a big block with nitrous. He told me a one time how big the motor is but I forget now. Full interior, power steering, power brakes, air, and the cruise even works. Next time I go up there if he shows I will get some pictures.

Tom,

I know it doesn't look like it, but there is more space under the hood with my 302 based turbo motor than there was with the 3.8 SC motor. The v8 is longer so it gets crowded up near the radiator, but it's not nearly as wide as the 3.8 so doing stuff like changing spark plugs is much easier. A 351 based motor will also fit without any drama, but it's 1.3" taller, so stock hood clearance may be an issue.

I've seen one of Rich's big block (460) installs and it looked like there was plenty of room, especially if you use a Cobra R style hood. I don't know much about the 460 install, but if you decide to go with a 302 based motor I'll be happy to share the info I've gathered doing the install.

David

I think the reason you don't see alot of BBF's around here is the typical attitude of alot of folks around here of it can't be done. That just tells those folks to go elsewhere and take on the attitude of why bother.

Its like someone breaking an SC into the 9's... everyone is a know it all and will state it can't be done and gives the shaft up the backside attitude to the person who's done it... instead of saying great job. I thought in our democracy world you are innocent until proven guilty, but I guess that doesn't apply here :rolleyes:.

Its the reason why I won't post some of my best times because I know I'll get told BS despite the fact I've got the ticket to prove it, because folks here will actually say I BS'd the ticket........

What a sad world we live in now... where you are guilty until proven innocent... and innocent only comes because you have agreed to lie about what you did.

Here comes the puke.

Frit

No puke. I have read many threads on big blocks, most I have read are positive and since they are out there most people except that they are a powerful modifacation to make. Personally Im impressed with anyone who has installed one. As for the guilty untill proven innocent. I think that as a club there are guidelines for making claims of 1/4 mile times and those that want to make a claim and dont follow guidelines, then others in the club will always be likely to say "yey sure" I dont see a lot of BS calling on your average SC owner but if you are laying claim to the world title there should be something to back it up. Thats just a opinion I hold and I like to think I have common sense and logic to back my opinions. See no puke and no name calling

Ken

How about you do the swap because its fun and avoid the e-peen contest? This is a swap I'm going to research further. I'm currently looking at putting it into a 1996-1997 Bird.

Rich are you going to be at the shoot out?

How about you do the swap because its fun and avoid the e-peen contest? This is a swap I'm going to research further. I'm currently looking at putting it into a 1996-1997 Bird.

Rich are you going to be at the shoot out?

I'll bet you make over 300 rwhp with one of those:D:D:D It will be intresting to follow your progress as another one goes over to the dark side:p

Ken

300 is as easy as pie to get..

I'll bet you make over 300 rwhp with one of those:D:D:D It will be intresting to follow your progress as another one goes over to the dark side:p

Ken

One of the first big block sc's that I put together as a street car was at one of the mn12 events. I dropped a PURE STOCK truck 460 with 40,000 miles on it with a big carb and manifold. The car put 290 to the rear wheels...
Now if it would have been something that had any kind of a build on it that would have been more like 350 to 400 rwhp....You can buy "crate" 514's that are 500 horses flywheel. These will get you there with room to spare.. Now if you want to go crazy, you can get engines even bigger and with more horsepower in them. There are some guys building 557's that are pulling over 800 rwhp... Add a bottle and watch that jump over 1000 rwhp... There also is a guy around here that is running a 557 with a "R3" on it. He pulled over 1300 rwhp at the dyno shoot out for Hot Rod mag back in june...
So there you have it....You want to go fast and do it on the cheap then go BIG on the cubic inches....Bigger is better, I know I have been doing this for a bunch of years now...........Rich

There also is a guy around here that is running a 557 with a "R3" on it. He pulled over 1300 rwhp at the dyno shoot out for Hot Rod mag back in june...
So there you have it....You want to go fast and do it on the cheap then go BIG on the cubic inches....Bigger is better, I know I have been doing this for a bunch of years now...........Rich

Give em Hell Rich!:D

Back