Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misfire after plug change, need expert help please!

I was wondering when someone would mention the firing order since it is not obvious on the coil. Mine did weird things until I swapped those 2 wires.

Update:

I think it's the coil!

Tested the connector plug (primary) as per the hanes manual. I got a reading of .4-.7 ohms, between the 4 pins. The hanes manual said I should be getting a reading of 8 or 9 ohms. Either it's messed, or I took the wrong reading!

Also, as KMT said, the readings in my secondary are slightly high. Both of these being off is telling me that coil could be the suspect.

I am going to the junkyard tomorrow to try to find one, and I'm bringing my multimeter with me.

Anyone know what type of cars will have a coil pack compatible with my 1990 XR7?

-Derek

Info courtesy of RockAuto.com

FORD CONTOUR (1999 - 2000)
    FORD CONTOUR GL (1995 - 1998)
    FORD CONTOUR LX (1995 - 1998)
    FORD CONTOUR SE (1995 - 1998)
    FORD CONTOUR SPORT (1996 - 1997)
    FORD CONTOUR SVT (1998 - 2000)
    FORD E-150 ECONOLINE (1998 - 2000)
    FORD E-250 ECONOLINE (1998 - 2000)
    FORD E-250 ECONOLINE SUPER 1998
    FORD F-150 PICKUP (1998 - 2000)
    FORD MUSTANG (1994 - 2000)
    FORD RANGER (1998 - 2000)
    FORD RANGER SUPER 1998
    FORD TAURUS (1999 - 2000)
    FORD TAURUS G (1996 - 1997)
    FORD TAURUS GL (1996 - 1998)
    FORD TAURUS LX (1996 - 1998)
    FORD THUNDERBIRD LX (1995 - 1997)
    FORD THUNDERBIRD SC (1989 - 1995)
    FORD WINDSTAR (1995 - 2000)
    MERCURY COUGAR (1999 - 2000)
    MERCURY COUGAR LS (1989 - 1990)
    MERCURY COUGAR XR-7 (1989 - 1997)
    MERCURY MYSTIQUE (1999 - 2000)
    MERCURY MYSTIQUE GS (1995 - 1997)
    MERCURY MYSTIQUE LS (1996 - 1998)
    MERCURY MYSTIQUE YOUNG AMERICA 1995
    MERCURY SABLE (1996 - 2000)

In my opinion, a new coil may be more expensive but it's cheap insurance. It's hit or miss with the junkyard ones. If you are strapped on cash, it's understandable, but be sure to get a warranty on the junkyard piece!

Swapped out Coil packs, same symptoms. Pulled connector off of camshaft position sensor, same problem.

Going to Vancouver for a week, going to pick up a DIS on the way, and try that when I get home!

-Derek

Update

*****FIXED***** Problem: Crappy spark plugs that were recommended by local parts store (LORDCO)

Bought two used DIS modules for $60 (pair). Put both in and car was still acting the same. I can't say spark plugs didn't cross my mind, but they were brand new, and checked and regapped again, so I didn't suspect them. (silly me).

Anyways, they recommended me these NGK G-Power plugs (single platinum).

After finally breaking down and having no luck trying a new DIS, coil pack, wires, and plugs... I took it in to a shop for a diagnosis. Checked fuel pressure, vac leaks etc. no problems.

So I ordered a new set of Autolite DOUBLE PLATINUM part no AP-2544, and just let the shop do the plug change. I had replaced and re-replaced plugs too many times in the last few weeks, and as most of you know... it's not the best car for this job.

Just got it back today, and it runs better than ever. I can't believe that the car ran that bad just because of single tipped rather than double! But I learned my lesson!

Anyways, stay away from the NGK G-Power plugs (not to be confused with the V-Power ones, that apparently work). And always try the simple things before suspecting the DIS etc.

Thanks for all the continued help from everyone, always a pleasure!

-Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarfetish View Post
    Anyways, stay away from the NGK G-Power plugs (not to be confused with the V-Power ones, that apparently work). And always try the simple things before suspecting the DIS etc.

Thanks for all the continued help from everyone, always a pleasure!

-Derek
    super old post but just thought i would add... its funny, I used the G power plugs for my 95SC that i have now and the car ran fine.... i Put in a set of the V power copper core ones and it has similar problem as you did, massive misfiring. i havent gone crazy yet, but after reading your info, im gonna change plugs again, maybe i got a bad one in there.

Help with misfire!

I have a 1992 super coupe, 135k miles. Had a misfire when I got it after sitting for a few years. I changed the plugs and wires, plugged it in to a scanner and it came back as "dist coil" so I replaced the coil, and camshaft positioning sensor. Idles around 600 and only builds about 4 lbs of boost. I've checked the typical vacuum areas also, cleaned the MAF and throttle body... Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadilakis View Post
    I have a 1992 super coupe, 135k miles. Had a misfire when I got it after sitting for a few years. I changed the plugs and wires, plugged it in to a scanner and it came back as "dist coil" so I replaced the coil, and camshaft positioning sensor. Idles around 600 and only builds about 4 lbs of boost. I've checked the typical vacuum areas also, cleaned the MAF and throttle body... Please help!
    Since you changed the coil & wires...did you confirm the firing order? At least one book out there has the wrong example.

See: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...t=firing+order
    Last edited by KMT; 09-18-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Oh man. I am having horrible flashbacks since you brought this post back to life. I think the SC gave me ptsd. I have since got rid of my SCs but still cringe thinking about all the issues I had to sort out over the years. Good luck with the car.

An injector stuck open causes a very similar issue.

Firing order is confirmed, based on the vin. My next guesses are either a stuck injector, or maybe plugged cats? Someone suggested the ecm but im not sure that's the problem.
    Last edited by Cadilakis; 10-10-2016 at 06:30 PM.

My next guesses are either a stuck injector, or maybe plugged cats? Someone suggested the ecm but im not sure that's the problem.
    The odds of those suddenly becoming an issue following a plug change are fairly low, I think.

Usually when this comes up, it's found to be one or more plug wires that weren't properly seated (especially given how hard it is to change plugs/wires on an SC and/or cracked plug(s) and/or improper gap(s)/plug type.

If you're discounting those possibilities, I'd at least check for codes.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    The odds of those suddenly becoming an issue following a plug change are fairly low, I think.

Usually when this comes up, it's found to be one or more plug wires that weren't properly seated (especially given how hard it is to change plugs/wires on an SC and/or cracked plug(s) and/or improper gap(s)/plug type.

If you're discounting those possibilities, I'd at least check for codes.

I was having these problems before the plug and wire change, that's what I thought the problem would be. It sat for 6 years before I got it, only got started every few months. I had it scanned and it came up as a "dist/coil" code, so I changed the coil and cam sensor with no difference. Also when I had it scanned, came up as code "216" and wouldn't let me clear the code.. which makes me think ecm...
    Last edited by Cadilakis; 10-12-2016 at 08:04 PM.