Muscle Car Shootout 2008 recap

Mike8675309

This was the 3rd year I've attended the Brainerd International Raceway Muscle Car Shootout. It's a Labor Day weekend event where some of the top mucle cars show up for some heads up racing, plus a bunch of other classes running bracket.

This the last year I'll run in LM6T, which is Late Model 6 cylinder Turbo/supercharger. Basically a stock class which I ran this year because otherwise there would have only been 3 cars in the class. Next year I'll either run Late Model Open, or Street Eliminator.

While a good time with friends and watching some bumper scraping 7 and 6 second race cars, overall I came away disappointed in my preformance. Granted I took 2nd place in the class, I ended up struggling quite a bit with my car. This was the 3rd time I've had my 5 speed car at the track, first time with the line locks, and 2nd time with a functional 2nd gear, and it showed.
Problems I had:
Line-loc button stuck on (14.633)
Missed 2-3 shift (15.147)
Sticky track, ment bogging if not getting rpm's up (14.909),(14.87)

Best time trial was a 14.323 when just about everything worked.

So what do I dial? I went with a 14.6 and had to pedal badly for the first round of eliminations running a 14.627 (84.83mph.. totally on the brakes) to my dial of 14.6. I likely would have had a high 13 if I kept my foot in it, as it was my best 60' (2.129) and best 1/8mile (9.077). In the last round, I hooked way too good, and I couldn't slow down enough, running a 14.3 to my 14.6 dial. Lost the time slip so I don't have more info, but that likely would have been the best time of the weekend for me if I would have kept my foot on it.

In the end I did learn a few things.
#1 - My current line loc switch just won't cut it.
#2 - Adding the control unit for my cooling fan has broke the camels back on room for my air filter. I'm restricting air flow too much with stuff over there by the air filter. The 4" intake tube is too big, and the 9" filter is too big, causing the filter to press against the hood when it's closed seriously cutting air flow.

What to do before the club clash?
I've orderd the hurst t-handle shifter with the 12v switch and the proper metric thread.
I'll be replacing the 9" filter with a 6" filter and 4" pipe with a 3" intake pipe, and some custom work on air box area to relocate some things and add some "ram air" effects.
Replace the stock condenser with a shorter one to open up air flow to the intercooler.

The track guy got a good picture of my launch in the 1st round of eliminations so I purchased it. Plus second place gota trophy... though the trophy was supposed to say "runner up" and instead said 3rd place. Oh well, it was that kind of weekend.

Traction was really good, I had zero wheel hop, and at 17psi in the tires, I was still wrinkling the tires.

Images captured from the event:
http://www.midwestthundercats.com/forums/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=sc&cat=30
like this one:
gallery_44_30_348230.jpg

Back