Holes in the Firewall

91 XR7

Is it just me, or did do a half ~~~ job in doing the holes for the Clutch petal and Vac/boost line?? With all the Burr still left on them?? It's almost like someone converted this car over to a 3.8SC 5spd.. But Vin and B pilar tag says otherwise..

Also hunting for leaks is fun.. Had like 1/2" of water on the floor pan behind the drivers seat.. And hasn't really rain in the last month (last time i drove it) and even with buckets of water poured onto the car, can i see and drops..
it's eiter the Vac/boost line hole, or clutch pedal.. if not further up? that the water is coming in since the underlay iswet up to that point.. (can't reasch higher)

Is it just me, or did do a half ~~~ job in doing the holes for the Clutch petal and Vac/boost line?? With all the Burr still left on them?? It's almost like someone converted this car over to a 3.8SC 5spd.. But Vin and B pilar tag says otherwise..

Also hunting for leaks is fun.. Had like 1/2" of water on the floor pan behind the drivers seat.. And hasn't really rain in the last month (last time i drove it) and even with buckets of water poured onto the car, can i see and drops..
it's eiter the Vac/boost line hole, or clutch pedal.. if not further up? that the water is coming in since the underlay iswet up to that point.. (can't reasch higher)

I never had that problem but, on my 90, the driver's side cowl cover vent was taped off to (I'm guessing) prevent water from getting in the car. I took the tape off when I tore it down for a minor job and I never found any water leaking inside the car.

I also have a 95 5speed and it also doesn't get water inside of it.

Yeah .. just like the hole they cut out in the plastic steering column for the little switch above the ignition cylinder on a 94 5 speed I picked up. Hole is all crooked cut. Im sure they did it at the factory - these parts dont come pre-cut, same with the firewall .. they only made so many 5 speed Tbirds, so it was probably more cost effective to do it during assembly than adding another step to the stamping process.

- Dan

>Had like 1/2" of water on the floor pan behind the drivers seat..

Does the car have a moonroof...?

I never had that problem but, on my 90, the driver's side cowl cover vent was taped off to (I'm guessing) prevent water from I also have a 95 5speed and it also doesn't get water inside of it.

Heh this is not the first MN12 that leaks for me, All of them leaked from one place or another..

My '91 XR7 the Cowl Vent for the Heater, was fixed by redoing the seals under the Cowl covers..
My '89 XR7 Same as above, I just fixed it by placing a piece of rubber mat over the opening and also leaked at the body seams from the rear window to the trunk opening
My '96 XR7 Same body seam as the '89..
My '91 SC.. Tail lights, Heater Cowl Vent, Somewhere on the drivers side, and it did leak from the sunroof ( BOTH drains on the drivers where Fudged in one way or another, an installation issue)

Im sure they did it at the factory - these parts dont come pre-cut, same with the firewall .. they only made so many 5 speed Tbirds, so it was probably more cost effective to do it during assembly than adding another step to the stamping process.

That's what i was thinking.. that the Firewall Just comes from the Manufacture stamped and Pre punched with all the standard shapes and Holes.. and to have a Robot, or even a Person to Drill out one or four holes along the assembly line just before paint For the Supercoupes for Vacuum line or Clutch pedal most likely was more cost effective
But sheesh yah think they would spend the extra 5 seconds to clean off the burrs.. :rolleyes:

Does the car have a moonroof...?

Why yes it does, and heaven forbid even an aftermarket one :eek: But no, the water wasn't coming from it :)

Two of the four drains was screwed up when i go the car (one was kinked from Installation, the other Plugged with dirt) But it's good now.. Also the drains follow the OE routes.. (Down the A-pillar for the front, C pillar for the rear? not 100% sure for the T-birds :))

The water was to the top in the `channel' in the floor pan where the wire runs, in the front floor pan.. and the under lay was wet up to clutch pedal (dry under the brake pedal)

Back