35th dash bezel/trim question

KMT

35th owners....does your dash bezel look like the top one in the attached photo, where the thin raised trim line is black, as opposed to the chrome finished line shown in the lower example? (neither dash is from a 35th...top is '92 SC and lower is '89 SC, I believe)

Anyone know if the two types indicate a particular trim or option level...or?

I'm trying to determine which is correct/stock for a 1990 35th Anniversary SC, thanks.

Attachments

• Bezel_trim_examples.jpg
    Bezel_trim_examples.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 119
As far as I know only the 89's got the "chromed" trim look. The AC Controls with the chrome buttons seemed to have changed sometime in 90 to the all black version.

>AC Controls with the chrome buttons seemed to have changed sometime in 90 to the all black version.

Chrome AC controls... That makes sense - and seems to follow from what I've seen. Thanks!

Also to my knowledge only the 89's got the grey gage surrounds and also the color matched door weatherstriping to the interior color on the inside edge of the part.

>only the 89's got the grey gage surrounds

Uh-oh - my 35th has the grey gauge surround....

My 35th has the all black dash panel(bezel) and if I remember right the original hvac control head was black with the chrome buttons. I changed that out to an all black head. According to the build date on mine its an early edition maybe they changed the head to all black in the ones built later????

S

Last edited:
>Both my 35th's have had the black trim and black buttons

Thanks - what color is the gauge surround...?

The 90 I had came with the chrome trim and the grey gauge surround.

I think it was an early 90 model.

35th

>Both my 35th's have had the black trim and black buttons

Thanks - what color is the gauge surround...?

The 35th I currently own and others I have owned have the all black bezel and the black A/C trim and buttons. 1989 and maybe some early 1990 SC's had the chrome strip on the bezels with the chrome A/C buttons. The 91 and up bezels had the automatic temperature control sensor in them as well.
The guage surround is grey. From my experience, I believe the guage surround is grey from 89-91. 1992 and up have the black guage surround.
The interior color matched weatherstripping, I have only seen on the 1989 model.

Randall

My 35th has the raised black bead on the dash bezel, black buttons and knob on the A/C control, black buttons on the CD Player, and black rear interior courtesy lights.

My other 1990 SC, on the other hand, has the raised chrome bead on the dash bezel, Chrome buttons on the A/C controls and CD Player, and chrome rear courtesy lights.

This car is a very early build car (for '90) and I suspect that some early 1990 SCs had the chrome trim similar to the '89s. I also know that in my car's case, they are all original.

Last edited:
I went back thru the classifieds and checked the 35th's that had photos of the dash - found eight/ten or so had the gray gauge surround. None I checked had a black surround so it seems at least that detail was perhaps standard for that model.

Last edited:
Door Weatherstrips

Color-matched door weatherstrip welting was phased out during the 89 production run. Haven't figured out exactly when yet. My titanium SC was built in April, and had the color-matched welting. My white 89 was built in late May, and has all-black weatherstrips. I'm assuming it was phased somewhere in that time frame, but could be harder to figure out if there was more than one vendor (different inventory depletion dates). So far, I'm pretty sure that it was all phased out in 89, and no 90's got the color-matched welting.

I'll keep everyone updated on this very exciting (...yawn...) topic as it unfolds! : )

JD

Back