How much did you spent on your rebuilt?

How much did you spent on your T-Bird SC engine rebuilt?

• Total voters

SCDIAMOND

Please tell how much you spent doing a engine rebuilt on you 3.8SC. Please add a post with whether it was a upper, lower, or complete rebuilt and what brand parts you used? This will help SC owners get a feel of what it will cost to do a rebuilt. Thanks in advance!

thats really not cool, i hate to say it but i must have spent about 3 grand to do a 351w and 5spd swap in my 92. That didn't include any engine work just the cost for the swap. And what sucks most is that a majority of it was used parts.

But... you may want to make the poll more specific... a factory spec rebuild and a performance orientated rebuild with head work and all is going to cost a lot more.

But to put everything into perspective...

Figure about a grand for a full bottom end rebuild with new rings, seals, bearings, bore, hone, gaskets, bolts, resurface, mic'd, magnaflux, hot tank, etc...

Figure about $350 for machine work alone.

Factory rebuilt

When I made this poll I was think about a factory rebuild. I guess I will make another poll.

Well Over 1200. Rods and pistons were around $700 (cheaper prices 4 years ago). Machine shop supplied rings and bearings, oil pump plus did all the machine work on the block, balanced the rotating assembly and pressure checked the heads. That bill was around $900.

Figure $400 for misc stuff I purchased to do the assembly myself. (including lifters, water pump, ring compressor, blah..blah..blah)

Heads (stud mount adjustable rockers), CAM, Chip, MAF, around $2400

BHJ balancer $$$

Oh yeah, injectors.. $200 or so.

Figure a couple hundred for ARP fasteners of appropriate type, and you can see, a performance build up is expensive.

If you just want a factory rebuild. Figure $800 for the machine shop work. around $40 each for the pistons, rods you can get freshened up, or try to find some 94/95 NOS rods.(good luck). $200 or so for gasket sets. $200 or so for main and rod bearings. I think you'd likely be over $1200, but maybe not too far.

Last edited:
I probably have $9000 in the motor with all of the bolt-ons included.........................:eek::eek::eek:

Everything in and on the motor are new parts.................

Last edited:
I did my own.

$145 - Reman Atlanta Crankshaft
$300 - Machine Work (bored, vatted, new pistons sized and pressed, ring gap set, new freeze plugs, cam bearings installed)
$550 - Pistons, Rings, Bearings (rod, main and cam), gaskets, oil pump repair kit, new plugs, supplies, etc

I think that's about it that I can remember, but add 15-20%.

About $1100 if you squeeze your cheeks together at the parts store.

Performance rebuilds are usually between $6K and $8K.

Stuff like H beam forged rods, custom forged pistons, upgraded rings, ported heads with bigger valves, bigger cam, upgraded valvetrain, timing sets, oil pump, lifters, machine work on crank and block, ect...ect....ads up real quick.

David

How about just a built short block if you already have heads, cam, oil pump, timing set, bhj, plus all bolt-ons?? Just the h-beams, pistons, rings, bearings, and machining and assembly.

Yup, those prices I mentioned were just for the bottom end. Already had ported heads, cam, BHJ, etc. New... H-beam rods, forged pistons, bearings, .030 over, balancing and crank machining. I did not include the price for removing and replacing the engine and all the fiddly bits like fluids. Unfortunately, my car broke hundreds of miles, and another country from home, so I wasn't able to any of the work myself. Add another 2K for that.

I think, if you want a high-quality rebuild with a few improvements over stock, you should be budgeting $2,000. Not really that bad considering that most factory crate motors are in the $4,000 range.

Probably around $2000 spent for my "stock" rebuild. Crankshaft welded and polished, straighten out rods, bore block .020, new bearings, stock type pistons, rings, gaskets, etc etc .. mostly Clevite, Sealed power, Fel Pro cleaned up the heads and cut seats and valves, no porting work.

All of that was around $1400, then I went ahead with the ARP heads studs, BHJ balancer, and when I first fired up the engine, the water pump went bad .. so thats where the extra cost came from on top of the rebuild.

Nothing special, not wanting to build for power, I only want the engine to last.

- Dan

ive got over 3 gs in just the lowerend and 1500 in heads and its still not put togethere yet.. and over 3000 in porting supercharger and rebulit with new rotors and new plunum and return plunum opened up 3/4 inch and matched intake manifold..just a lil money not much lol

5000 to get mine back and the head gaskets went in 20000km

http://
IMGP1194.jpg

Last edited:
ok. i saw the stock rebuild. just doing the top end alone is over 1200.that's if you're going to do it to last. the problem is the head work. while their out you have to get them resufaced and squared anyways, you might as well have the valves reseated, hand lapped yadda yadda.... your already over your first category of 400. i can't see how anyone can do one under a thousand. but, then again i don't know alot

well i decided to build another engine. i have the heads done, i got most all the bolt on stuff and plan to spend 4-6k. will hit this post back once im done.

Back