Street tires at the Shootout...

This has been gone over before and I think the general consensus is that 1.98 is about the best that's ever been done with anything that resembles a stock street tire on a 5spd SC at even moderate power levels. I did the 1.99 while running a 14.5 @ 95mph and making about 240rwhp back in 1995. I was running 255/50/16 Falkon tires and a stock clutch. The combination was just such that I was able to launch at about 3000-3500rpm while slipping the clutch and not really spinning the tires. Good track prep was a big part of it too. I thought I toasted the clutch on that run but apparently not.

Most of the time I'd say that anything close to 2.00 or better from a 5spd is excellent. 2.1 is good. 2.2+ sucks.

Personally I don't recommend any street tires on a 5spd at the track. If you don't feel the need to "launch" the car and just drive it off the line drag radials actually work ok because they'll keep you from spinning halfway down the track. If you want to launch, then you need ET Streets or slicks.

I ran a 1.8X at Gateway with the Turbo car before the switch over to the C4 Auto. I was riding on a set of Hankooks Ventus Sports...like this:

k104_tire_left.gif

Back in the day with the 35th I ran a set of 1.8X on a stock size set of Yokohamas, but that was with an auto.

Chris

Back in the day with the 35th I ran a set of 1.8X on a stock size set of Yokohamas, but that was with an auto.

Chris
But that was probably at MAR, which after they closed the 60' was confirmed to be somewhere closer to 57'....which explains why I always had better 60' numbers there :rolleyes:

Dude, STREET tire. Radial tires with a UTQG rating of over 100. I pulled 1.690's on my ET Streets but that isn't what the question is.

Steve pulled some amazing times on street tires with his. I think perhaps the secret with the V8's might have at least somewhat to do with the reduced torque combined with high stall converters. On an SC with a torque peak at 2600rpm you can't run a high stall converter unless you just want to blow the tires away.

I have pulled 1.96's on true street tires at thornhill. My tires are general uhp grabbers 255/50R16. I didn't even run them at the shootout. They pull good 60's sometimes,but are just to inconsistant with me driving. 100 or 200 rpm difference on the launch means the difference between connection and tire spin.
Alan

Ive done a few 2.0xx's before, but thats gonna be my best. Most of the time its a 2.6 because I have a bad habit of seeing green and trying to put my foot into the radiator:eek: I was playing with my buddy in his gto the other day and he was laughing at my horrible peddling skills in first gear. He was using traction control(cheater:p)

Corey

They pull good 60's sometimes,but are just to inconsistant with me driving. 100 or 200 rpm difference on the launch means the difference between connection and tire spin.
Alan

Alan,

What are you doing changing converters between runs?:D Why would it launch 100-200 RPM different between runs? You have an automatic don't you?

If you are flat footing it off the line it should be launching at practically the same RPM all the time. Sounds like driver error to me!;)

It is just a matter of how high I foot brake it before leaving. If I overdo it I push through. I want as close to that point as possible. A 2 step would be great. Driver error is exactly what it is. No excuses around it. I'll keep practicing.
Alan

Alan,

What are you doing changing converters between runs?:D Why would it launch 100-200 RPM different between runs? You have an automatic don't you?

If you are flat footing it off the line it should be launching at practically the same RPM all the time. Sounds like driver error to me!;)

That's the problem then.

LOL!! Don't foot brake it. Pull it up stage, let it idle and then whack the hell out of it on the tree. It'll leave at the same place everytime!!;)

If you try coming up against the converter and launching most times these cars suck. There are exceptions but few. And unless its pretty much a drag car its totally inconsistant that way.

The stick cars its a little different and RPM makes a big difference in how they launch too. There's a fine line between enough and too much launch RPM. Definately harder to get consistant but it can be done.

That's the problem then.

LOL!! Don't foot brake it. Pull it up stage, let it idle and then whack the hell out of it on the tree. It'll leave at the same place everytime!!;)

If you try coming up against the converter and launching most times these cars suck. There are exceptions but few. And unless its pretty much a drag car its totally inconsistant that way.

The stick cars its a little different and RPM makes a big difference in how they launch too. There's a fine line between enough and too much launch RPM. Definately harder to get consistant but it can be done.

Couldn't agree more...leaving from just barely above idle 1100 then smashing it will FLASH the converter to the same point nearly every time. I get my best 60ft times this way without blowing the tires off.

Chris

That's the problem then.

I have 4200 stall, leaving off idle doesn't work right. I get the best 60foot preloading it. I think a little more power should make the difference.

Alan

I've got a 4200 stall too and thats how I leave, off idle and whacking the throttle.

Guess it depends!:)

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner---at the shootout I was runnning on stock wheels with some el cheapo Pepboys 225/60X16's (see avitar)that I pulled the 1.98 with and I had about 35 pounds of air in them. it ran a 13.82 at 98.68 on that pass. I haven't gotten to try it our on the big tires yet but I hope to next weekend at our local track here in Kentucky.................Dan

Back