• Get more vibration, I got an automatic

2 6.67%
  • Get more vibration, I got a 5 speed

5 16.67%
  • Really notice more vibration it when I'm on the highway above 65mph

4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Rubber Motor Mounts How's your engine vibration?

Latitude: 41.909147 Longitude: -72.450263

Solid Rubber Motor Mounts How's your engine vibration?

Who's got Solid Rubber Motor mounts? I got a 95 5speed. I had to replace the motor mounts last year and I hadn't put too many miles on it since. Today I drove it up through the Berkshires. I'm getting more vibration then I think I should around 70MPH.

Don't crash into a tree just to avoid a skunk!

I ran solid motor mounts in my SRT-4 and it would vibrate like CRAZY. You would be amazed at how much just a little rubber will help with. What you are experiencing is very normal. But what you sacrifice in comfort you gain in performance.

>...you gain in performance.

And exactly how much hp/trq would that be.....?

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    >...you gain in performance.

And exactly how much hp/trq would that be.....?
    No HP performance but handleing performance. And you knew exactly what I was talking about.

performance isin't just hp/tq

you'll notice the handling characteristics are improved, i know with my solid rubber mounts i had alot more stability and road feel.

then again my mounts were shot and caused my motor to swing when i got on it.

ah yes....gotta luv that 'road feel'

>I'm getting more vibration then I think I should around 70MPH.

I think you guys are just trying to rationalize the time & trouble - 'solid mounts' sound so impressive on a street car, after all - if you're a gymnast, maybe
    Last edited by KMT; 10-12-2008 at 11:49 AM.

The only real reason to go solid is so you dont have to replace them every year or so. If you dont like the vibes and have the abilities to change them when they bust, then go liquid filled.

I dont mind the vibration too much i wish I did not have them but i really dont want to ever have to replace mine so that why I went with the Chuck mounts on my car. Install and forget about them.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

ah yes....gotta luv that 'road feel'

>I'm getting more vibration then I think I should around 70MPH.

I think you guys are just trying to rationalize the time & trouble - 'solid mounts' sound so impressive on a street car, after all - if you're a gymnast, maybe
    Being a noob and all you probably don't know that liquid filled mounts collapse over time and cause the oil pan to rub on the K member and power steering lines resulting in costly repairs and major inconvenience if you actually depend on the car for regular transportation.

Also due to your relative inexperience you might not know that liquid filled mounts also stretch more than solid mounts and were the cause of many dents in the hoods of otherwise pristine SC's due to impact with a raised SC top.

Regardless of that, if you read the above post it refers to solid rubber mounts, not solid metal mounts or even aftermarket design poly mounts. The solid rubber mounts do not affect handling but do make a very minor impact on NVH (that's why Ford went with liquid in the first place), however no more so than any number of millions of other ordinary cars in this world that came with solid rubber mounts in the first place. To imply that an OE design, yet solid, rubber motor mount causes undesirable harshness in a 13-19 yr old car with over 100K miles on it is an absurd idea in the first place but carry on if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

>The solid rubber mounts do not affect handling

Thanks for backing me up. Good to have you on my side.
    Last edited by KMT; 10-12-2008 at 02:29 PM.

>The only real reason to go solid is so you dont have to replace them every year or so.

Good logic, thanks.

I don't see how you would notice any difference in vibration at idle with the cam grind lope and with my bigger tires I couldn't feel a difference on the road.

My liquids were blown out though at the end, maybe I just got used to them after they blew.

IMO

And how does that improve 'performance'?

>The solid rubber mounts do not affect handling

Thanks for backing me up.
    I did not comment regarding any claim for improved performance but if you need that connection, longer life and more accurate engine control might be perceived as a performance gain.

I didn't post to back you up, in fact I don't notice where you made any comment about handling to back up (if I were so inclined). I do support truth and fact wherever they may be found and regardless of who happens to post about it first. I did find your comments rather flippant and superfluous because there are no less than 3 different styles of "solid" mounts being discussed in this thread and your comments can in no way be universally applied to all three types.

Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

OE mounts are not solid - your implication that solid mounts are OE design, except for not being OE design, is...humorous.
    No, my statement is correct as there are 3 different design "solid" motor mounts being discussed here and I believe the original post was in reference to the OE design replacements that simply have the fluid cavity filled with rubber (ie. solid rubber) yet retain the OE attachment design and fitment. As a drop in replacement insert for OE motor mounts, the solid rubber mount is essentially an OE design. If you want to argue minutia then you are the clear winner here but I think everyone else understood what I was referring to.
    Email me here.

Ill tell you whats nice. CHucks poly mounts!..My SC ripped the liquid filled ones and the poly mounts are great albeit greater vibration.

Teh biggets problem I had with solid rubber mounts is that they are built in pakistan/china/East asia and really are of a poor quality. My turbo car when it actualy ran used to tear them to peices quicker then the liquid ones
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Talking Solid or bust!

I replaced my fluid filled shot mounts with the OEM solid rubber and didn't really notice much of a difference. Probably because the driver side was in two pieces. The passenger side was still intact and kept the pan from rubbing too much on the "k" member but just enough to mess up my PS tube. Fluid filled engine mounts just don't sound like a good idea on these engines.

Jeeze Dave, I had to look up "flippant and superfluous" in my websters.
    I thought "superfluous" was that stuff you add to your engine oil to make it last longer and "flippant" was a dolphin on that TV show.