Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build-up Together...No start...Help

New Build-up Together...No start...Help

Project has been on-going for about 15 months now. Finally got it together today and tried to fire it up, no start. Im posting this for Nickleman60, it is his car. Problem is that it has no injector fire. Has pressure at the rail. If I ground each individual injector, that particular cylinder will fire while cranking. Pulled the plugs and they were bone dry (until I started grounding injectors). Injectors have no pulse while cranking, but they do have B+. Swapped cam sensors, no go. Checked connectors, good. Pulled the new chip out of the pcm and tried it, nothing. Removed the cam sensor and checked that the synchronizer is spinning off the camshaft (mechanical), all is good there. Vehicle does have spark and will run on starting fluid. Pulled the pcm out of the car and tried in the another 94Sc, fires right up....

Specs on build up (if it matters and so you know what we are working with)
    1994 SC 4R70W
    .030 block
    Weisco Pistons
    6.2 H-beam rods
    .520 lift cam
    Dave Dalke CNC Big valve Heads
    1.73 rockers
    7.2 pushrods
    Mpx blower
    25% OD
    New Custom FMIC
    85mmTB
    80mm MAF
    60# injectors
    Dave D SCT Flip Chip
    Stall Converter
    Modded Trans...
    Long tubes
    Bottle Fed.....Etc...

Basically Im looking for something that I maybe missing. Anyone had a similar experience or know of something else I should try?? My next step is to get a EVTM and an H-manual and start checking the EEC harness. Any help is greatly appreciated. Dave

Injector timing comes from the crank sensor so you might want to take a boo at that. Is the shift light going out when your cranking the car over?

Frit

Does the cam sensor not control injector timing and crank sensor ignition???Or am I thinking EEC-V not EEC IV??

The other way around. The EEC can use the crank sensor if the cam sensor fails to help with ignition timing.

Frit

Carefully check all grounds. Battery, chassis, engine, EEC, etc. Go over all of that very carefully. The injector drivers rely on the ability of the EEC to get a good ground to the injectors. The power comes from the EEC relay but the ground switch comes from the EEC.

Another member had a similar issue and while it took quite some time to find the missing ground wire (to the motor) when they did the car fired right up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Frit, So, the fact that it has spark means that the CPS is functioning and that the CKP is not, correct.

Dave,
    Its funny that you mention that. We thought there was supposed to be a ground going to the rear of one of the heads. We were talking about this the last time I was working on the car. I checked his other cars (A 89sc and a 94sc) and I couldn't feel one back there. There is not one on this car. Does it need a ground on the back of one of the heads?? I know that the battery ground, chassis(passenger motor mount area) and EEC are good. We are missing an engine ground, arn't we??? I suspected this before like I said....
    Last edited by frdlvr30; 10-18-2008 at 10:16 PM.

No ground on the back of the head. Where is the motor grounded at?

Cam sensor does not provide injector pulse, only determines start time of firing order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Problem was the ground on the radiator support. Ground was moved for the Fmic install. Vehicle now runs...Thanks for the insight Dave and Frit.

Quote Originally Posted by frdlvr30 View Post
    Problem was the ground on the radiator support. Ground was moved for the Fmic install. Vehicle now runs...Thanks for the insight Dave and Frit.
    This morning I scraped the area clean of paint where the original bolt was on the rad support, re-attached the ground wire and wha-la, engine started. I have now moved it back to the side of the rad support on the battery side but this time I made sure it had a good clean contact, works fine. Thanks for all of the input from everyone. Next item on the list is to drive it down to the muffler shop to get the exhaust closed up, straight longtube headers are loud as hell....................
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '94 SC AUTO - 2.3 Whipple
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=19

Everything is on the motor minus the wiper motor and cowl, gonna leave it off until I can make sure there's no problems on the back side of the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    SCCOA Member #2406

Everything looks great! I thought I would point out that your throttle body isn't black!

400rwhp or bust, right? Good luck with everything.
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post
    Everything looks great! I thought I would point out that your throttle body isn't black!

Speaking of that, your alternator pulley is not black either.
    I know someone who would not mind taking if off your hands if you decided to go with a black one.

If everything is new and painted you might want to make sure your alternator case has a ground path to its mounting bracket or you may not get it to charge properly. I installed a powder coated alternator and made sure the backs of the "ears" had the coating ground off to provide a ground path as well as a corresponding spot on the bracket too.
    22 year SC Owner GFP
    (Glutton for Punishment)
    1992 5 Speed SC one of 1256
    1995 5 Speed SC one of 574

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Speaking of that, your alternator pulley is not black either.
    I know someone who would not mind taking if off your hands if you decided to go with a black one.
    HAHA, You funny man...............

The pulley and the CAI tube will stay shiney for now.............

Well, the driver ain't black neither and I don't plan on changing that ..........
    SCCOA Member #2406

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post
    Well, right and wrong. Although I would like to have 400rwhp on motor I know that's not gonna happen. I will be dissapointed if I don't have at least 365rwhp plus, I'm not gonna lie. One thing is for sure, one way or spray I'll have over 400rwhp...........
    SCCOA Member #2406