Wiseco OE replacement FORGED pistons...*UPDATED 2/20/09* (CLOSED)

XR7 Dave

Edit: Release date is March 13th. Now taking orders!

As many of you know I've been working with Wiseco to bring you custom forged pistons for your SC motors for some time now. By building this relationship and showing a proven track record of selling these pistons (over 50 sets in 2 years), we have been able to get the attention of the higher ups at Wiseco.

Because of this overwhelming support of this club in purchasing Wiseco pistons through me, I have been able to negotiate a new deal with Wiseco to where they have agreed to build an off-the-shelf forged piston for us! Yes, that will be a forged piston in their "Pro Tru" line that will be a direct replacement for the stock pistons which can also be fit to a CAT 5.915" H-beam rod.

These pistons will be direct drop in replacements for all 89-95 SC's giving 8.5:1 compression, machined to accept either full floating or press fit applications depending on year, and will NOT require rebalancing of the motor.

With custom piston packages running upwards to $750 these days and a proper engine balance starting at $200 and up, these pistons can result in a savings of over $500 (!)

Wiseco will have shelf stock available in about 4 weeks which you can order direct from them for $510 + shipping. This includes the pistons, rings, and pins.

From Supercoupes Unlimited these piston sets (pistons, rings, pins) will cost $475 shipped (lower 48) which when compared to the old hyperutectic pistons (and rings) from Sealed Power ($330 at Rock Auto when you can get them), is actually about the bargain of the century for SC owners.

They will be available in .020" and .030" with no waiting (once they hit the shelves).

Part #'s:

PT-113-H2 (.020")
PT-113-H3 (.030")

There you go, proof that at least some parts manufactures will listen when we speak. Also one more reason why it also pays to channel some of your buying power through someone who is working on your behalf instead of sourcing parts individually through local channels. By working together to present one voice, we can actually accomplish good things from time to time.

:)

Last edited:
I think a big thanks goes out to SCU, for all the hard work in getting a new product developed and released.

What kind of ring packages will be available for these pistons?

Great Job. So it will they need special machining if they are being used with the CAT rods or will it interchange.

What kind of ring packages will be available for these pistons?

The pistons come with an OE style moly ring package. Upgrades to a Total Seal ring are available if purchased through me. Pricing is yet to be determined on the Total Seal upgrade.

ricardoa1 said:
So it will they need special machining if they are being used with the CAT rods or will it interchange.

The CAT 5.915 rods are a direct bolt in. Rebalancing will not be required as the CAT rod lists out at the same weight as an OE connecting rod but take it under advisement that any performance rebuild really should include balancing regardless so with that being said "final balance specifications are the responsibility of the engine builder." I will be offering the CAT rods along side the pistons but final pricing details have not been determined. Expect them to be less expensive than can be purchased elsewhere.

Dave,
Another thanks for what you do and have done for this community. Any reason these wont work with the scat 5.956 H-Beam rods?

Are these stock compression only I forget what itis can you get them in 10:1 CR? How much are the 5.915" Cat rods going for? Bonus check in a few weeks time to get some goodies:D

Any reason these wont work with the scat 5.956 H-Beam rods?
The compression distance is set for stock length rods. If you already have the 351W rods and wanted to use these pistons I can cut them down .040" but that would cost extra. If you have not already bought the rods then it would only make sense to get the correct rods.

no164ford said:
Are these stock compression only I forget what itis can you get them in 10:1 CR?
These are stock 94/5 compression ratio. They are not available in custom compression ratio's. If you want a custom piston then that option is always available under our normal custom piston program but of course that costs more. These are an "on the shelf" piston, not a custom piston.

no164ford said:
How much are the 5.915" Cat rods going for?
They are $359+ shipping on Ebay right now. As I said above, I will be able to offer them for less by the time the pistons are ready but I do not have pricing yet.

I have another set of brand new 5.956's. Forgive me, but I don't know what a "Cat" rod is. Is this a stock type, I beam, or H-beam?? Cost of milling the pistons .040" is about how much?? The reason for wanting these and not the custom, is the fact that the block I'm using is low mileage and I would prefer std bore if possible.

Last edited:
CMac89 said:
What is the mass of the pistons and the pins?

Piston/pin combination is such that it matches the OE piston/pin assembly (about 680gm for the combo).

frdlvr30 said:
I have another set of brand new 5.956's. Forgive me, but I don't know what a "Cat" rod is. Is this a stock type, I beam, or H-beam?? Cost of milling the pistons .040" is about how much?? The reason for wanting these and not the custom, is the fact that the block I'm using is low mileage and I would prefer std bore if possible.

CAT is a brand of connecting rod. The design that is being referred to here is a 4340 H-beam rod identical in design to an Eagle or SCAT.

Cost to trim the piston decks is $75.

Custom pistons are available in any bore size you want including std. There is a significant cost difference but there are advantages also such as being able to select your compression ratio and lighter weight.

from a comparative standpoint, is a majority of the assymbly weight at the big end of rod or at the piston?

What are the piston weights in comparison to stock?

from a comparative standpoint, is a majority of the assymbly weight at the big end of rod or at the piston?

What are the piston weights in comparison to stock?

The pistons weigh exactly the same as stock (as I said above). The whole point of these pistons is to offer a direct replacement so that anyone rebuilding their motor can stick these pistons in, no modifications or special work required when using stock connecting rods.

As for the CAT rods, the stock rod big end is heavier than the H-beams so if you run the H-beams you really need to rebalance the motor.

Originally Posted by CMac89
What is the mass of the pistons and the pins?

Piston/pin combination is such that it matches the OE piston/pin assembly (about 680gm for the combo).

This is what threw me off. I was totally thinking something else

Good to know there is a good forged piston replacement for us out there

Last edited:
Good deal Dave. I was just looking for pistons for a SC for a guy and that is half of what anyone else wants.I recently talked to the guys at Wiseco at SEMA. Great guys to deal with I just ordered a bunch of piston installer sleeves. Everybody should get the one for their pistons when they get pistons. Much better than ring compressor pliers.
Alan

I hope people really appreciate how great of a deal this is. A Stock Replacement Forged Piston is perfect for a huge number of 3.8 block owners including those N/A guys wanting to add boost.

this will significantly decrease the cost of building a full forged solution.

Update 12/31/08.

Wiseco has delayed introduction until the end of Jan. Ugh.

CAT H-beam rods are going to be $325/set and I have those in stock right now.

Wow, I paid $230 for mine in Sepember of 2007. Same seller is now asking $349 for them.

Great pricing on the pistons. That's way less the the last run. Great job David.

Just to remind everyone that these are cap screws and not factory style rods so they need to be installed differently which may affect bearing clearances.

Back