Wiseco OE replacement FORGED pistons...*UPDATED 2/20/09* (CLOSED)

Tell me about it. I sent 2 rotating assemblies for balancing. One cost me about $300 and the second cost me about $500 for the heavy metal....
Ouch.
Alan

$500??? What were you using for pistons Alan, small block chev's?

You probably aren't aware of exactly what the issue is.

First, the late model 3.8 (and all 4.2L engines) use light weight, longer, powdered metal connecting rods. Because of the longer connecting rods the pistons are lighter, then also Ford used a lighter ring package and smaller pin size.

The result is that a piston/rod assembly from a late model 3.8L NA engine is a full 235g LESS than a Supercoupe rod/piston assembly. This amounts to a full 3.125 lb lighter rotating assembly. Since mallory metal is about $20/inch, and weighs 2x iron/steel (4.5oz/cu in), if you were simply adding metal to compensate for the difference you'd have to add about 4-5" of mallory metal to compensate. However, due to the fact that you'll most likely have to drill and remove steel to insert the mallory metal, you'll likely have to add more like a total 8-10" of mallory metal by the time you are done....

And that doesn't even take into account any additional labor for the milling and welding operations necessary to install the stuff so yes, it is going to be expensive to convert a late model NA motor to use SC stuff. $300 would be very cheap, and $400+ would be typical.

Dave, I am very interested in this piston/rod combo. I just want to clairify...I have a spare 01 block that I am planing on building but have also thrown around the idea of buying a sc motor to go into my 03 mustang to benefit from the forged crank, ibeams, and having my local engine builder providing custom forged je pistons.
Does this combo come with all the correct hardware for my machine shop to install this into the sc block?? If not what else would be needed/recomended?? Not sure if I read but is there a price??If not could I get a quote please??
Thanks
-Johnny

The pistons with rings and pins are $475 shipped. The forged H-beam connecting rods are $325, so the total package is $800 for the rods and pistons shipped. These are direct replacements for the stock SC rotating assembly. No additional parts or hardware is needed. This is a rock solid package capable of handling any boost level you wish to toss at it.

I would not try to use the package on the 01 crankshaft. You can use the 01 block but you should use an SC crankshaft and bearings.

Thanks dave!!
Do you know where I could find a rebuild kit for the sc block?? I would want to replace the bearings,seals and possiblly upgrade the bolts.

so the total package is $800 for the rods and pistons shipped. These are direct replacements for the stock SC rotating assembly. No additional parts or hardware is needed.

That is a fantastic price. Do you offer balanced rotating assemblies? Or; do you find that is even completely necessary if you are not revving the car?

I have all internal engine parts available. If you would like a complete kit, please email me for options and pricing.

Tom, the pistons are direct replacements with no balancing required. The rods are a little bit lighter than stock and should include a balance on the crankshaft. You could probably run them without balancing but I would not.

Tom, if you want a complete assembly, I have an assembled shortblock here that you could get John to bring back for you. Granted, it has custom pistons in it already which makes it a little more expensive, but it is ready to go.

Dave,

When is John going to be at your place? Perhaps he can bring back my parts also.:)

Branko

This is looking like a pretty good deal the more I look.

I found KB/Silv-O-Lite pistons in both std and 020 for 35.00 each. Cast plus have to buy rings.

I wanted to do a simple refresher re-build but it looks like that is gonna be tough. Never in my dreams did I think getting pistons would be a challenge.

Are these pistons still for sale and how much for a set?

a new deal with Wiseco to where they have agreed to build an off-the-shelf forged piston for us! Yes, that will be a forged piston in their "Pro Tru" line that will be a direct replacement for the stock pistons which can also be fit to a CAT 5.915" H-beam rod.

thus the answer is yes as these are a shelf part for Wiseco. Pricing will have changed from the group purchase. send an e-mail to XR7 Dave (link in his post) for current pricing and to order.

Back