5 speed visual differences

Dahoopd

I am trying to locate another trans as my 2nd gear synchros are toast. I prefer to find a 94/95 5 speed but will settle for an older one. Is there someway of telling the differences. I found one locally but want to make sure I am not being given a truck trans over the SC trans. Thanks for the help.

I believe the trunk trans will have the shifter on the top cover, vs on the tail housing. Also, the tail housing is different. I'm not sure how to tell the 89-93 from the 94/95's though

Assuming the part number sticker is still on the driver's side of the tranny the late models has a F4SE number. I believe the early models were a E9SE. The previous poster is correct...the truck trannies have the shifter on top of the tranny vs at the end of the extension housing like on a SC.

Would there be any other PHYSICAL differences between the two or would one just have to change the top cover, tail housing, and shifter rail?

Yes there are physical differences internal to the transmission between the truck version which is actually a M5R1 and the M5R2. One that I know if is the snycro rings where they interface with the shifter forks are not the same width. The trucks have a narrower version. I do not think it is possible to take a truck tranny and "make it" a SC M5R2..at least not economically.

Back