Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: fix those power windows

fix those power windows

for those of you that think its a ~~~~ to fix your broken windows it really isin't. If I had known it was this easy I would have done it a long time ago.

first remove the door panel
    remove the window trim, only 1 screw, you can pull both sides up and off
    unbolt the glass (2x 11mm bolts) you'll need to put the glass all the way down then lift it up about an inch to gain access to the bolts
    pull the glass up and tip it forward and it'll come right out.
    i found it easiest to drill out the 4 rivets that hold the regulator in that way
    i could pull out the assembly as a whole and unbolt the motor, but it is possible to take out the motor without the assembly, you'll need to get a 1/4" holesaw and drill a hole in the door, theres a dimple there already.

be careful when removing the motor, the spring will jerk on you and if your not conscience of it you could get a bo-bo.

anyway, unbolt the motor from the regulator, 3x 8mm bolts.
    to get the cover off you'll need to remove the t20 torx bolt holding it on
    you'll see the gear stripped in there, mine had nothing left to it, i used some metal filler to make a new one since a new gear from advance is $60 and the metal filler cost $3. The gear is suppose to be replaced every 10 yrs and since I plan on keeping my 4 sc's for many many years to come I figured this would be my best choice.

heres some pictures for the ignorant

You working on an SC...?

Correct motor gear plugs ($8.00):

This has been written up several times around the 'net. Correct procedure (glass & winder mech. stay in place) - take your pick:

One thing to note is that the main gear shaft should be checked to confirm it doesn't wobble. Replacing gear plugs won't help if the shaft has worn in the housing and moves side-to-side.
    Last edited by KMT; 11-14-2008 at 09:04 PM.

well crap on me... i didn't check out autozone, at advance though they told me they didn't sell it with out the kit... guess it helps to shop around.

either way... the windows work now so yipppeee.

good write anyways..

i never thought of using metal filler instead of the little plugs..

it'll be a while til that motor stops working now

I agree

It was nice to take the time make a write of this stuff!!!!

Also good of KMT to point out somewhere's cheaper!

Tom
    Tom Downs-member#2752
    MPX'd 90 SC Auto~bought Feb. 2012
    RIP MOM!!! I will always miss and think about you 4Ever! 1940-2018
    RIP Rexy boy!!!! Miss my dog 2006-2018
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=424

I am not positive if they interchange, but Mark VIII motors and gear cases, new, sell for aboout $20 on ebay.

You can use any window motor out of any 89 - 97 Cougar or Thunderbird.....

...just remember that it requires unique motor assemblies for each side. The gear box is offset differently between left and right.

Did you do all of this to remove the window motor? Or were you doing regulator work as well? I just remove the door panel. Remove the speaker, Remove the three w/motor screws. May have to drill the holes for socket access. Unplug the motor and there you go. Takes 5 minutes. Just don't want people to think they have to pull glass and regulator to rebuild their window motors...thats all. No flaming here...

Quote Originally Posted by frdlvr30 View Post
    Did you do all of this to remove the window motor? Or were you doing regulator work as well? I just remove the door panel. Remove the speaker, Remove the three w/motor screws. May have to drill the holes for socket access. Unplug the motor and there you go. Takes 5 minutes. Just don't want people to think they have to pull glass and regulator to rebuild their window motors...thats all. No flaming here...
    Ditto, thats what i did
    [B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Red"]June 6, 2009....D-Day[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]1989 SC AUTO- Midnight Blue:D[/COLOR][/B]
    "They act like they are bed buds that have known me forever" -Corey B-

yes let me correct myself, my car was broken into and the driver window was busted, i guess the theif first tried the passenger window and some how managed to break the clips holding it to the glass but couldn't get it out.

you can very easily change the gear without taking the regulator assembly out, i acutally highly recommend you don't as that spring in there is a royal ~~~~ to get back in place, although I found an easy way using a pair of vice grips.

When you take the door panel off you'll see 3x 8mm screws holding the motor on the assembly, i'll take a pic when i get my door panel off my other sc in a few days to change that window.

oh and just an update... the metal filler sucked. I recommend JB Weld instead it sets much faster and holds much better too.

Use Jb weld
    [B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Red"]June 6, 2009....D-Day[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]1989 SC AUTO- Midnight Blue:D[/COLOR][/B]
    "They act like they are bed buds that have known me forever" -Corey B-

• 11.14: metal filler
    • 11.16: JBW
    • 11.18: TBD

When I get an SC that has the busted clips on the windows, I go to the junk yard and pull a window from any 89 - 97 bird or cougar....

If you look around, you will find some that have the steel clips on them....

Yeah, I think the steel clips were a later model thing...I've noticed on the 93's I have that they have the steel clips. Seems like they worka little better.

As far as the gear plugs (I always called them gear pegs because it sounds funnier)...I just bought the correct size white plastic rod stock from ebay and cut little sections off the right height, then sanded down one side on each until all fit just right. I've fixed about 4 motors and still have enough for two more for $6.50! Besides the home-made look, they're the exact same thing, except a little stronger feeling (maybe just because they're new) I've heard all kinds of ideas for these, but if you want cheap cheap and near factory, I think this is the way to go.
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | '17 Spectator | '18 Freeze-Plug Champ
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, Alky-Inj 387rwhp, 438rwtq (new motor) Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph (old motor)
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage