New to the SC scene

smokin_five0

Hey. Just picked up a 94 supercoupe. I'm from the windsor area. Got rid of my 88 stang 5.0 for it as i wanted something better on gas that has potential to be just as quick. What are some not so costly easy mods that can be done to make the best out of what i have? it is a daily driver so i can't pull the motor or have it torn down. lol. :) so uh ya. thank! oh and do any of you guys meet in the essex county area or any local guys in windsor for that matter?

Last edited:
Most important thing to get done is the exhaust system before anything else. Do NOT go over 2-1/4" off of the stock manifolds as you'll never seal them properly which will cause your car to run very rich because of fresh air hitting the O2 sensor on the pax side.

Frit

Unfortunately , "reliable", "can't pull the motor down" and "quick as a 5.0 Mustang" don't go together.
SCs or 3.8s in general are notorious for taking the head gaskets out of them, and that is without beating on the motor.. start wicking it up and you will blow them for sure, meaning tearing down at least the top end.
I would suggest if you really want to make more power, and can not afford to be without your own transportation then have a back up vehicle "before" you start to pound on your SC .
Mustang 5.0s [ stick cars ] are not that bad on gas if you keep your foot out of the throttle, particularly on the hwy.. lean on it and they will drain the tank quick,.. same as the SC will.
Dave.

Hey. Just picked up a 94 supercoupe. I'm from the windsor area. Got rid of my 88 stang 5.0 for it as i wanted something better on gas that has potential to be just as quick. What are some not so costly easy mods that can be done to make the best out of what i have? it is a daily driver so i can't pull the motor or have it torn down. lol. :) so uh ya. thank! oh and do any of you guys meet in the essex county area or any local guys in windsor for that matter?

Welcome!! There are several members in the London - Windsor corridor. I'm sure that some of them will chime in here.

cheers
Ed N.

So ... lets have some details about your SC. I have found that there are two kinds ... those that have new head gaskets and those that are going to. If you are at about 200k with factory gaskets, you are due so put aside some cash. Once they are changed they are very durable. My ANNI that just went to the scrap yard had 450K on it but the HGs were changed early at about 145k. Great cars ... its all about the torque.
Welcome to the club!
Alan

Now that made me laugh.. "those that have new head gaskets and those that are going to." .. unfortunately, too true.
I just saw a white SC on a tow hook in Markham... looked to be about a 90 or so.. hmmm... wonder why.
Dave.

So ... lets have some details about your SC. I have found that there are two kinds ... those that have new head gaskets and those that are going to. If you are at about 200k with factory gaskets, you are due so put aside some cash. Once they are changed they are very durable. My ANNI that just went to the scrap yard had 450K on it but the HGs were changed early at about 145k. Great cars ... its all about the torque.
Welcome to the club!
Alan

Welcome!! There are several members in the London - Windsor corridor. I'm sure that some of them will chime in here.

cheers
Ed N.

I'm one of them. Welcome to the club, great bunch of guys who will answer all your questions and may even join you for some wrenching if you promise them a BBQ in a year or so..........:p:D

Welcome and keep your wallet handy. The words more power and S/C are listed under the Federal Budget as things we cant control but have to do anyway. As a recent S/C owner, I myself have already started putting money away for a rebuild. You will get you questions answered here. Good Luck and have fun.

CoolHand
Matt

thank everyone for the welcome. first things first...exhaust system will be done. after hearing what some of you guys have to say...maybe i should go all show and no go. lol. how costly is a headgasket to replace? just wanted to see what some of my options are without havin to get a second job.

Back