AOD trans problem

Have you thought about getting a one-piece?

I'm not putting that kind of money in this car, the 89. This car was bought to be a parts car to sell and make a few dollars, then it turned into a project for my son, then it turned into a project/experiment for me. Like I mentioned earlier I'm done sinking money into this car, this is it's last chance with me. If this doesn't work out then someone will be buying some nice parts from me. I already know what Todds gonna say........part it out already............:rolleyes:

Todd, just to let you know, I'm want to stick the 3.27 trac loc in the opal frost so when that happens do you still want the 3.73's? When I swap differentials I'm also gonna change tq's since the one in it now has terrible shudder for the one I removed from my black 94 which was fine. This is my daily driver right now so I don't want the 3.73's plus it's an open diffential.

Last edited:
The converter I sent to you will reduce the load on the input shaft. I am concerned that the direct clutches could be welding together. I couldn't tell you how many times I drove cab cars in with aods in them and the direct clutches literally welded together. Put the car in neutral and crank it. It will move and start liek a manual in 4th gear.
Alan

The converter I sent to you will reduce the load on the input shaft. I am concerned that the direct clutches could be welding together. I couldn't tell you how many times I drove cab cars in with aods in them and the direct clutches literally welded together. Put the car in neutral and crank it. It will move and start liek a manual in 4th gear.
Alan

The shaft broke on the tq side again but this time I can't get the other piece of the shaft out of the trans. Doesn't matter because I just finished installing the junkyard supercoupe trans. and the converter I bought from you. Took it for a spin around the block and it's shifting into all 4 gears....:D The gears are shifting a little short so tomorrow I'll adjust the tv cable a hair. I did powerbrake it one time just to see how high the rpms would go before it wanted to move and it went to 2300 and then smoked the tires..........:rolleyes:

I'm gonna remove the valvebody with the trans-go shift kit out of the other trans. that was broke but I think I'll ride around a while with the new trans. the way it is before I go screwing around with it again, maybe install it down the road sometime.

The shaft broke on the tq side again but this time I can't get the other piece of the shaft out of the trans. Doesn't matter because I just finished installing the junkyard supercoupe trans. and the converter I bought from you. Took it for a spin around the block and it's shifting into all 4 gears....:D The gears are shifting a little short so tomorrow I'll adjust the tv cable a hair. I did powerbrake it one time just to see how high the rpms would go before it wanted to move and it went to 2300 and then smoked the tires..........:rolleyes:

I'm gonna remove the valvebody with the trans-go shift kit out of the other trans. that was broke but I think I'll ride around a while with the new trans. the way it is before I go screwing around with it again, maybe install it down the road sometime.

Glad you got it fixed Keith. I made this suggestion before, but Im just going to repeat it. I would quit using that valvebody. You have had the same problem on the last two transmissions, with that VB. Something burned the one you just removed up. I saw the inside of that pan. Seems like its applying two gears at once to me...or something silly like that. Entirely too much friction material and burnt for no more miles than you put on that tranny...(2,000 miles maybe)

Last edited:
Glad you got it fixed Keith. I made this suggestion before, but Im just going to repeat it. I would quit using that valvebody. You have had the same problem on the last two transmissions, with that VB. Something burned the one you just removed up. I saw the inside of that pan. Seems like its applying two gears at once to me...or something silly like that. Entirely too much friction material and burnt for no more miles than you put on that tranny...(2,000 miles maybe)

Well, I'm not doing anything to it for now, just gonna drive it and see how it does, next stop is an inspection. For the record I probably had about 50 miles on the trans, not 2000.

That could be an issue caused by improper tv adjustment. Did it break on a 4-3 downshift?
Alan

I've played with the adjustment before trying to get it to shift at the right rpms and not shifting earlier up the gears which makes it lug at low speeds. I know it's an exact science but I got it close by following the tech article on TCCOA. What do you mean " Did it break on a 3-4 downshift", are you referring to the input shaft? I don't know when the shaft broke.

The only good way to adjust tv pressure is to use a gauge block and set the pressure to 32-35 psi idling warm in neutral.
Alan

Adjusted the cable a little and it's shifting great...........:D...........so far.......:rolleyes:

This car runs pretty decent, that why I was hanging on to the ol' girl and giving her one more chance before giving up.....glad I did.

For just a few bolt-ons it's rather peppy, for those who don't know what it has:
Mildly ported heads, stock valves
Ported '94 blower with 10% pulley
MP inlet plenum
Raised top
75mm BBK tb
76mm C&L maf
ZR Motorsports 3" CAI
9" K&N Filter
36 lb injectors
5% jackshaft pulley
aluminum UD crank/waterpump pulleys
Huge custom FMIC with 3" i/c tubes and a 12" pusher fan
Ported '94 exhaust manifolds
Tbird88 cat-delete downtubes
Flowmaster cat-back exhaust
AC delete
ABS delete
3.73 trac-loc
DirtyDog 2500 stall converter

Still doesn't have a chip, just the stock EEC.
80% of these parts were leftovers from my Black '94.

Last edited:
Back