Thread: Where to bring the SC in GTA?

Where to bring the SC in GTA?

i just bought this car from by brother and now im worried bought a money pit...i hoped to get a few summers out of it before a major repair...but the white smoke and burninig smell leads me to think that maybe coolant is leaking and the head gaskets are going to fail.

what should i do (i am not a mechanic)....any advice on who to take it to?

how much to change gaskets?

White smoke is "usually" head gaskets.. it can be coolant coming from other sources like a leaking intake gasket , but on a ford 3.8, its most likely the heads.
    Burning smell could be the cats plugging up .
    Don't know who you can take it to, but you are looking at 1500 for the complete job, a deal [ if its done properly ] would be a grand.. or .. you can do it yourself for a few hundred, if the heads do not need surfaced .
    Its an ignorant job at best.. but , you will save a crap load and learn something in the process..things like.. you don't want to be a mechanic ..
    You really should look at the car closely before diving in , make sure its not a rust bucket, unfortunately most of them are, check under the rockers behind the lower skirt , if its got holes..you are dumping good money into bad [ if you are paying someone to fix the problems ].
    Either way , good luck.
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by toronto_1990sc View Post
    i just bought this car from by brother and now im worried bought a money pit...i hoped to get a few summers out of it before a major repair...but the white smoke and burninig smell leads me to think that maybe coolant is leaking and the head gaskets are going to fail.

what should i do (i am not a mechanic)....any advice on who to take it to?

how much to change gaskets?

what he said...............................smoke - definitely head gaskets!

If your not a mechanic ... DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

You will DEFINITELY NEED THE FOLLOWING - torches ( to heat up those stubborn exhaust bolts) Power Steering Pulley puller, assorment of sockets and wrenches, torque wrench (good quality) etc... If you do not have any of the following...don't even start the job or you will be sorry! (especially the power steering puller as this is a must to get that large aluminum bracket out of the way.) Others may argue with me on this point but after thirty years of working on cars I know one or two things..................

I did mine three years ago and my engine is still running perfect! I did a bit of cursing while doing the job, but I finished it in two days over March Break holidays, and luckily I had the advantages of a hoist and a machine shop facility. I did all the work myself including the heads, so it was cheap at about 600 bucks for the parts alone. I replaced all the studs and did the valves and cleaned the pistons etc while it was apart.

It will definitely cost you about the 1500 dollar mark as the SC is a bitch to work on for most mechanics. They do not understand the vehicle. I lived in Niagara and not ONE dealership would touch it! My buddy worked at the parts counter at one of the Ford dealerships, and he told me some scary stories!

You have a special and unique car, so find a guy who is into these SC's to help you if you can and try to do it yourself with some help. It's a great learning experience and I learned a lot from doing mine! Saved a lot of money too!
    Last edited by ve3lt; 11-30-2008 at 09:30 PM.