Rick's Transmission-Totally unacceptable customer service!

metalman

A few of you guys recommended Rick's for his impeccable transmission knowledge and skill...and I believe you (and him) that he knows what he's doing when it comes to transmissions, but 4 months later, I have yet to see it!

I initially spoke to the secretary and an older employee the day I dropped the car off in late July (Rick was out of town). I asked for Rick to call me when he got back so we can talk about what I wanted done. No call back. About two weeks later I called him and he apologized for it being busy and short staffed. I then dropped off the cooler and he showed me that he had broken down my tranny and pointed out a few broken parts and we talked about what needed to be done. The Friday of Labor Day weekend I dropped off a stock valve body for him to put a shift kit in ( and then replace broken parts, clean, put back together, install, adjust, inspect, CALL ME).

I knew he had to order parts, do the job, yada yada. After many weeks I was concerned but kind of giving his the benefit of the doubt. But, 2 months later (Early Nov.) I still had not received as much as a phone call to give me a heads up as to what happening! I called him. He apologized and (get this) he said he FORGOT about my car. How does someone forget about a transmission in pieces in the shop and a car parked in your front lot that hasn't moved in 3 month! He said how busy and short staffed they were (sound familiar). He said he doesn't have a reason for it not being done and he's sorry. Ok, I accept that (only because the SC is not my daily driver) but, now make it right. He said the car would be done by Monday (I called him on a Wednesday). Monday would have been the 10th. I told him I was gonna run up there to at least put on my new plates, but then I figured I'd wait until his call on Monday to go up there. It was only a few days away, right? No call from him. Tuesday was Veterans Day. No call the rest of the week. Tuesday the 18th I called and spoke to the receptionist. She said, Rick was on a test drive. I explained to her the series of events. She said that she hadn't worked for him in the past two months. She said, I'm sorry and I'll get on Rick to get in touch with you. I double checked with her to see if she had my info and phone number...she did. It's now been over another week and I still haven't received a call back from him or the receptionist yet!

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This complete lack of customer service is totally unacceptable. I've restarted the insurance on my car in July. So, I've been paying on it for 4 months with out being able to drive it-Wasted money, I got new registration- 4 months of it have been shot...wasted money. I've been wanting to get new parts for the car...wasted time and opportunities.

When I get my car back, I want to see nothing but the best workmanship, a perfect running tranny for the next 150,000 miles and big "I'm sorry" price reduction!

It's hard to find excellent, trust worthy mechanics around here. While I look forward to see/feel his top notch workmanship, I would have loved to see some simple common courtesy and proper customer service!

I'm still waiting!

Anthony

Damn, that sucks. I did have him put a trans in my daughters Grand Am a while back, took him a couple of weeks. That's been a couple of years now and not one problem with the trans. You need to just slide up there un-announced and see what the hell's going on. I agree that a price reduction is in order for the "LACK" of service you have recieved.

I would be stopping by everyday w/ a coffee in my hand and a smile on my face, and in a nice way let them know that I am not going away!

Stephen

Wow, This really suprises me as well. Your right though this is completely unacceptable. Especially since he can assemble that thing in an hour. How much did he say he was going to charge you? I'm assuming that he removed and is installing as well, since the car is there. I heard through several reliable sources this summer that he was having a hard time with business at that location. It is a nice shop, but it is on a dead end street.

Last edited:
I got my car back

Monday after work, I went down there (with coffee in hand). I was surprised to see my car in the bay. It was done! In a polite manner I expressed to him my concerns. There was a little back and forth, but in the end he didn't charge me for shop fees, etc. and he said he lowered the labor and part cost, and inspected my car. All-in-all about $200 less. I paid him $1500. He installed a new shift kit, replaced the scored OD drum(?) and some kind of broken pressure plate along with some ancillary parts. I don't know all the innards of the tranny, so I might have my terminology wrong.

I drove it home very cautiously, nervously. The engine choked and back-fired (but not out of the exhaust pipes) a couple times and down shifts felt strange. But, I think that's from my car not being driven for a very long time and a low vacuum issue that I'm still tryin' to figure out.

I drove it again yesterday and today. And Holy crap! I can't keep the wheels on the ground. I know a lot of youz guyz cars are fast than mine, but the transfer of power to the rear wheels seems so good that when I depress the accelerator pedal firmly (with out using the brake)the rear wheel don't even chirp, they just sit and spin silently. I guess I'm burning rubber without actually burning rubber.

While that's great for power, that sucks for racing because I need to learn how to control the power of my car for a good launch without loosing traction. Any suggestions? The throttle response is tight the gear shifts are firm (although I would like it to hold 2nd a bit longer) and even though my vacuum seem low (as little as 10 stopped in D) the boost gauge pegged at 15 lbs. I wonder how much higher it was climbing.

Aside from an alignment and a vacuum ghost in the engine, I think my car is back.

Anthony

Glad you got it back. You will get use to it. You have to pedal these cars a little out of the hole. Unless you are Keith or Todd. Then you have to pedal them a lot!!!

I got the stuff from Summitt finally Todd. I'd like to get the Castings to you sometime in the near future. Im sure Keith would like the 93 out of his backyard before he retires. Keith, what did the insurance company end up deciding on the Opal Frost car?? Howard called me last week and asked me to come back to Protime Automotive for the winter. So, I get to move the Toolbox....again. So thats what I will be doing till March...
Sorry about the thread hijack....

Last edited:
frdlvr30;785668 Keith said:
I'm going to call them back today and see what they say.

I'm sending the aod stall converter back to Alan at Dirtydog Performance, he's the one I bought it from and he's going to fix it for a damn good price so when I get the trans. rebuilt I'll be able to install it AGAIN except this time I'll make sure I don't F up the snout.............:rolleyes:

Hey Anthony, should I get Rick's to rebuild my trans?.....................:eek:

A insurance adjuster is coming out tomorrow to look at the car. They only cover repairs up to 75% of the value of the car so with a a value of $2100 or so, $1907 is more than 75%. The adjuster isn't going to low ball me on this car because I'm not going to accept it but we'll see what he has to say.

Last edited:
A insurance adjuster is coming out tomorrow to look at the car. They only cover repairs up to 75% of the value of the car so with a a value of $2100 or so, $1907 is more than 75%. The adjuster isn't going to low ball me on this car because I'm not going to accept it but we'll see what he has to say.

Liberty Mutual's adjuster came out and his estimate is $2150.90.........:eek:
All this for a header panel, front bumper, left front fender, corner light and paint...........DAMN

Now he turns it in and in a couple of days I'll be haggling the settlement with an agent I'm sure.....................:rolleyes:

Liberty Mutual's adjuster came out and his estimate is $2150.90.........:eek:
All this for a header panel, front bumper, left front fender, corner light and paint...........DAMN

Now he turns it in and in a couple of days I'll be haggling the settlement with an agent I'm sure.....................:rolleyes:

I would not settle for less than 1500.00 and your car if they decide to total it. Otherwise, you want the 2150.00, right??

I would not settle for less than 1500.00 and your car if they decide to total it. Otherwise, you want the 2150.00, right??

Yeah, that kinda my thoughts too. I'm keeping the car, that's a fact, so they better be nice or it'll cost them more money with me getting my lawyer involved plus I have my 5 vehicles insured through Liberty Mutual so I'll threaten dropping my coverage with them if they don't cooperate.

Last edited:
Yeah, that kinda my thoughts too. I'm keeping the car, that's a fact, so they better be nice or it'll cost them more money with me getting my lawyer involved plus I have my 5 vehicles insured through Liberty Mutual so I'll threaten dropping my coverage with them if they don't cooperate.

May I suggest you printing out what KBB and NADA say that its worth. Plus, you know you have got to have tons of reciepts for new parts. Im not telling you to rip anyone off. But, you do have some money in that car between transmission and body panels and such. Couldnt hurt to get a few receipts together and Try to recoupe some of that if they try and total it. Just because they say its worth two grand means its only worth that to them or someone else. Not you, the guy who still wants his car....

:D........Good news today, the insurance company is going to give me the $2150.90 price that their adjuster came up with.......................SWEEEEEEETTTTTT

It's gonna look sharp with a new paint job.

Last edited:
Back