Mustang M90 Times

Jamez

I made it out a couple weeks ago (last day at our track) and made a 14.0@98. This is with a stock Mustang block, stock early model M90 setup (FMIC instead of stock), 2.5 catted h-pipe/flowpath mufflers, 3.27's/tlok, base tune. I never got the wideband data to Justin to finish the tune so it was still about 11.9-12.0 A/F after I added 2% with the xcal. I don't know what the timing is, but nothing has been added yet. The boost gauge showed about 11.5psi which was probably due to the 50* weather, usually right at 10psi. Also running stock 205 tires and at least full weight, car full of crap/half tank/etc.

I see at least a couple people running low 13's in a bird with a stock longblock, is that about the quickest? I'm hoping to finish the tune, take the subs and other crap out of the car, get some tires, maybe throw a 5% on it and see if I can't hit mid-low 13's.

I don't have the slip with me, but the 60' was 2.0xx and I don't know about the other times/speeds. I can't drop the hammer right off because of the tires and the stall, but track prep was good and it hooked about as good as you can on these tires. I let the car get going then floored it, times varied from 14.0-14.5 and trap was always right about 98. The worse times were from either spinning or me hesitating to push the go pedal all the way down.

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

Absolutely, costs something like $2200 to go from a stock Mustang and 17's to an SC Mustang and 13's. That includes the non-SC specific parts as well. The swap itself could probaby be done for $1000-1200 if you don't do the FMIC and powdercoated valve covers like I did.

Absolutely, costs something like $2200 to go from a stock Mustang and 17's to an SC Mustang and 13's. That includes the non-SC specific parts as well. The swap itself could probaby be done for $1000-1200 if you don't do the FMIC and powdercoated valve covers like I did.

Why'd you powdercoat the valve covers? Can't even see the damn things.
You should put an OD pulley on that blower with that exhaust and the FMIC.

The major part of the cost is a Hand held tuner and a custom tune.

Why'd you powdercoat the valve covers? Can't even see the damn things.
You should put an OD pulley on that blower with that exhaust and the FMIC.

Well they looked great before I put all the blower stuff on, lol

Yeah I think I'll throw a 5, maybe 10 on there over the winter. Waiting to get the DIN cable so I can get the tune finished as-is. Evidently a 5% won't require a re-tune so I'll probably start with that. My blower needs a front seal and coupler, but the plan is to get a good condition late model blower instead of working on this one, win/win. We'll see what happens with a tune/late model blower/pulley/tires then I'll see if my quest for 12.9 on a stock longblock is possible.

Yeah I think I'll throw a 5, maybe 10 on there over the winter. Waiting to get the DIN cable so I can get the tune finished as-is. Evidently a 5% won't require a re-tune so I'll probably start with that. My blower needs a front seal and coupler, but the plan is to get a good condition late model blower instead of working on this one, win/win. We'll see what happens with a tune/late model blower/pulley/tires then I'll see if my quest for 12.9 on a stock longblock is possible.

I think it's definitely possible, especially with an upgraded blower making 16/17 psi and a good tune. That's a sweet car, good luck with it.

Its been done already.. Dalke tuned an SC that went 12.90 on a stock long block and I believe an MPx blower.. Ive gone 12.30@106 on a stock long block, late model blower and the hit..

Yeah I don't know how well it will deal with it either. I'm really not sure what people have done power-wise with stock N/A singleport 3.8 longblocks or shortblocks. I know splitports have gone much quicker than 12.9, but I'm hoping less weight will give me enough advantage to do it without blowing the thing up. There is another M90 swap guy who pushed 15psi and blew a headgasket, but I'm not sure if that means if the headgasket held that something else would have gone. We'll see, maybe by the end of next season.

Trying to hold off going for an MPX as long as I can, but I imagine it will be necessary eventually. Same goes for OD pullies.........

Get in touch w/ xr7dave. He has a great deal on forged components and get a sc crank. Then you can do what you want!:D

Nothing like piece of mind. Do it right the first time, take your time. You will need to rebuild it eventually so get the parts now so when it goes you will be ready to make the power you want.

Stephen

Back