supercoupe abuse level?

I've read the thread here and over there.

As for Nate, well, he's young and apparently still in that phase where authority figures are important. We were all there at one time or another, so I think we can all relax on that and just add a mental filter for excessively worshipful comments.

As for that Jay guy, I've got a friend just like him and he's a nice guy in person but his internet posts are similarly arrogant, right down to the throwing of 1/4 mile ET's in your face at every opportunity. So with that experience, I'll give Jay the benefit of the doubt as to how he really is until the unlikely event I ever meet him in person.

The man is still at it with slinging the crap at me, but what ever. I know what I know and I don't know what I don't know..... at least I can be honest about it.

I know he's in the dark ages when it comes to tuning our cars and a few other things but what ever.

Fraser

The man is still at it with slinging the crap at me, but what ever. I know what I know and I don't know what I don't know..... at least I can be honest about it.

I know he's in the dark ages when it comes to tuning our cars and a few other things but what ever.

Fraser
You know what, you can't take it personally. You don't know this guy - he doesn't know you and he clearly has an..... abrasive? personality. :D

There is no point getting into a pi$$ing match with him. Remember that site is for small block engines, but not OUR small block engine which has its own distinct issues.

Ira

Exactly. If Nate wants to believe everything Jay says without doing any research of his own to back it up, so be it. Thats his choice, and to be honest not a wise one just following one person's word. I don't take anything said by anyone to be gospel till I have done my research, and that includes what DD says :p;). Jay assumes everyone should believe everything he says to be gospel, and he trashes you if otherwise.

If Nate's car is a DD, it needs cats or a possible big fine is to be had (Canada, it'll cost more than the car probably), and cats have to be properly positioned in regards to the long tube headers so the exhaust is tuned in, both to deal with the sound wave as well as the pressure wave. If done properly, the cats can be an extension of the long tubes headers and will have very little detrimental effect, but the extensive amount of track testing and dyno testing that has to be done.... I sure couldn't afford it. Dyno testing HAS to be done as well, and to believe that you only have to do track testing to prove something shows how wide (narrow) the thinking is.

He also has to put up with the dreaded drone our V6 puts out, and I bet that wasn't taken into consideration, unless he doesn't mind not listening to his stereo. Again, a resonator needs to be had or huge mufflers in the right position needs to be "dialed" in for maximum performance. Again, depending on the type of muffler used, alters the characteristics of the exhaust sytem.

To fully take advantage of that 3" setup, everything has to be considered, not just slapped on, and even Jay himself said that as well as several others. This is not a cheap approach. Just slapping a 3" exhaust on and expect it to make a difference with no regards to everything else can easily hurt the performance of the vehicle.....

If Nate is only wanting a straight up race car for the track and not street driving it, then open headers is the way to go. That I agree with.

And finally, I would venture to guess that Jay has had no experience in setting up our SC's for street use for cruising in luxury, and the next minute going to the track and handing a few rustang boys their ~~~. He has only one thought and that is racing only, and that has to be considered before buying a product from him, or going strictly on his word.

Nate, you need to make a choice on how you want your car to be run. If its strictly racing, then listen to Jay, if you want a car that is totally streetable legally, and you want to occasionally lay some smak against some v8's at the track, then you're better off listening to folks here who set these motors up on a regular bassis. Jay has only one thought.....

I did some studying over the last 24 hours and already I'm seeing holes in Jay's proclamations (and I'm FAR from finished, after all, if I can work with a NASA engineer to figure out whats the best way to run a multi staged Jet engine I'm sure I can figure out the 4 stroke motor... they all suck, bang and blow). What he's NOT telling you is the amount of extensive testing that has to be done to really dial in a car. Can any Joe Smo off the street afford that kind of testing to dial in? Has he told you what it takes to dial in cats and mufflers? He's right that running a huge exhaust can allow an engine to accelerate quicker, and he's not the only ONE that says that, but has he told anyone what has to be done to get there? Has he outlined exactly what is needed with the cam profile for that exhaust? Has he said what is needed on the intake side to maximize that exhaust?

Fraser
ps: I don't care if you post this over there. Jay has locked my account there down so I can only read everything, but can't post anything.

I havent posted anything since, and i don't care to. I'm not taking anything as gospel. 2nd Im getting a cam for 3" exhaust and 3" catback is worth 100 bucks more and its mandrel bent. 3rd, you think ive never modded a v6 before? (m90 swapped 98 mustang) i know what to expect for exhuast drone and flow 50s gets rid of that, 3.8mustang.com has 10 pages of exhaust setups to see what they sound like, not to mention the 3" will quiet it down over the 2.5" from less restriction. 2 3" cats and Hpipe will be in the cross section. why the heck would i be silly enough to run without cats? second this car is not being taken any further, so for an extra 200 in the end...why the heck not try it out if i have the option to now and try something new? this is my side project car, not my main project; if I wanted to go full blown I would be getting the whole motor worked. I think you did take this to personnaly, honestly its the internet, who cares!

I havent posted anything since, and i don't care to. I'm not taking anything as gospel. 2nd Im getting a cam for 3" exhaust and 3" catback is worth 100 bucks more and its mandrel bent. 3rd, you think ive never modded a v6 before? (m90 swapped 98 mustang) i know what to expect for exhuast drone and flow 50s gets rid of that, 3.8mustang.com has 10 pages of exhaust setups to see what they sound like, not to mention the 3" will quiet it down over the 2.5" from less restriction. 2 3" cats and Hpipe will be in the cross section. why the heck would i be silly enough to run without cats? second this car is not being taken any further, so for an extra 200 in the end...why the heck not try it out if i have the option to now and try something new? this is my side project car, not my main project; if I wanted to go full blown I would be getting the whole motor worked. I think you did take this to personnaly, honestly its the internet, who cares!

I really don't care what you do. You've made it clear here that you will only listen to what Jay says. You have already dismissed any advise from anyone here and have clearly stated that Jay is the only answer for the right answer. You dismiss all the knowledge here for 1 person that has clearly impressed you, or scared you.

You have created a situation here in your attitude of "I don't care what it takes" which includes ridicule to yourself to gain something with your car and hurt the entire club because your mentor has crusified a member that has something to contribute, even in a small way..... and he almost won.

Despite how much Jay slander's me (and continues to do so), I know WAY more about how the EEC works than anyone over there, including Jay :D and others from what has been posted... Logging a 91 through DTC.... how archaic!!!!!!! and useless. I will not stoop to his level of slander, and will not get everyone in a forum to be in fear. How may posts did I see over there where someone said something and then said, I hope I dont get yelled at. Jay runs that place with fear.

Now I"m going to throw my weight around and BRAG!!!! I don't do this normally and as most folks here know I don't insult anyone because they don't know something and will openly teach anyone here what I know, and will OPENLY admit what I DON'T know, which I said over there and it was ignored.

Until recently datalogging an SC was near impossible and required hacking into the wiring to do it. I wanted to tune my own car because I knew I could do it, so the study started. I down load all the code from the EEC and went through it step by step in assembler code. I started to figure out a crap load of parameters for the 89/90's and realised that what I was seeing with the EEC Tuner board was not right with some of the parameters.

I then contacted DD and started discussing what I was seeing. Through DD's encouragement, I then started going through the EEC code for all the rest of the years of the SC's and found alot of of info for those. During that work, God blessed me with a break that was supplied through DD to rapidly bring everything forward for this club. This club was brought out of the stone age for tuning into a level that exceeded modern day tuning habits on a mustang. Heck we had more access to info than those guys did. I can even PROVE that I have more info than even SCT has with their software. Not bad for someone that is totally stupid like Jay proclaims.

In the end, if something doesn't work after you've bought something off of Jay etc, and I hand you your ~~~ at the track not following Jay's advice (which I won't no matter how smart he is) where is Jay going to be? How about questioning Jay on what to do with the intake manifold to improve it so that a 3" exhaust off of 3 cylinders warrants it, according to him thats easy. Ask Jay what you have to do with the cats and where to position them? Ask Jay what you have to do with the muffler's and there positon, and ask him what muffler types to get which could affect position? Ask Jay how to "tune" your exhaust in for your particular setup? Ask Jay to come up to Canada and dial you in at the track and how much that is going to cost you?

He's the one preaching exhaust tuning, but I have yet to see anything there to do with cats and mufflers. If those are properly tuned in, you could have a wicked setup that could easily outdo what we can do with an SC, but if you get it wrong.... I'm handing you your arse at the track ;).

You opened a can of worms, and at the bottom could be a wup butt that your not ready to face. I can think of several cars right now in Ontario that would show you what the TBird symbol looks like from the back even with Jay's help, unless of course you have a HUGE amount of money to mod the SC 3.8L motor.

Have fun.
Fraser

did you not read my post? even if its not done to the full extent it will be the exact same as running 2.5" now wouldnt it? dave said it himself, he swapped headers and exhaust and seen no gains from just a tune, it was the same, ill have a cam and tune, so tell me how am i going to lose big time? so your telling me if i go 3" exhaust with 300rwhp and only the exhuast wasnt tuned in correctly and you with 300rwhp and a 2.5" slapped on(which isnt tuned correctly), your 4000lb+ car with IRS, is going to beat my 3200lb car?:p if you didnt care what i was doing you woulda stopped posting. unless you have something to prove now to everyone? your the one who is keeping this thread going on absolutley nothing..... other then by random viewers, jumping in for the first time, thinking their .02 in defense matters at this point

"let me sleep" ....says the thread :D

did you not read my post? even if its not done to the full extent it will be the exact same as running 2.5" now wouldnt it? dave said it himself, he swapped headers and exhaust and seen no gains from just a tune, it was the same, ill have a cam and tune, so tell me how am i going to lose big time? so your telling me if i go 3" exhaust with 300rwhp and only the exhuast wasnt tuned in correctly and you with 300rwhp and a 2.5" slapped on(which isnt tuned correctly), your 4000lb+ car with IRS, is going to beat my 3200lb car?:p if you didnt care what i was doing you woulda stopped posting. unless you have something to prove now to everyone? your the one who is keeping this thread going on absolutley nothing..... other then by random viewers, jumping in for the first time, thinking their .02 in defense matters at this point

"let me sleep" ....says the thread :D

LOL! your the one that said, "now isn't everything over there going so sweet"

How be you just stay there and believe everything Jay says. You made it very clear thats what you want to do, and it seems you support what he's says about everyone here just being a catfish and not knowing anything and all of us being dumb.... afterall, you haven't pointed it out to him otherwise, have you?

Laters dude, your on your own. I'm not holding a grudge against you as you have alot to learn obviously, but your sure not willing to stick up for this club over there and have supported Jay in slandering this club, but come over here and do nothing but praise that club. That shows everyone where your heart lies.

Fraser

Yeah you did turn out kinda lame Nate. Sounds like you need to drop the V6, pick up a 5.0 and go run 10's with open headers. The guys here tried to help you with a motor they know inside and out and all you've done is told us how wrong and uneducated we are and how sbftech holds all the answers. Lame

btw, sbftech still seems like a great site for V8 owners, even if they like to talk down on everyone who doesn't follow their lead.

To answer you main question...
yes the supercoupe block can handle quite a bit of abuse.

now, do YOURself a "favour" (actual spelling is favor) and leave this site, and you might learn something that doesn't pertain to the sc.

here you go guys

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,16838.0.html

do your selves a favour and join that site. you will learn things that you never knew and you might have to unlearn somethings that you think you know. Jay allen is an absolute genius.

I am Canadian. Up here it's spelled "favour" just like it is in UK English. But, like in other topics, thank you for proving your ignorance. .....

For everybody who has actually helped me out here, thank you. And for everybody who has actually visited over there and discovered it's not that bad, thank you too. This is a great board with an obvious focus on Supercoupe's, so it would seem that some of the stuff that's applicable to my Mustang may just not fit in. Other than the three guys who's focus seems to berate me at every opportunity, I think it's nice here.

look at my first few posts...i did try to help, as did a lot of people. but then you decided to slander us and basically say we don't know squat.

i never stated that the site was bad, obviously filled with some good information as many forums are. But to belittle this one when you are trying to find help is going to cause people to get upset.

eventually this will pass, but its not now because there was no apology to any of us who did try to help.

I don't really care anymore, I'll be done. But show some respect, this club hasn't been around for this many years because there are a bunch of idiots in here.

Nate won't see that about this club. You will never see him posting at SBFTech how good this site is and/or the information in it.

Good luck Nate, see you at the track, and as for the comment running a 5.0, I agree. You won't be happy with a 3.8 SC'd, ever.

Fraser

I wanted to tune my own car because I knew I could do it, so the study started. I down load all the code from the EEC and went through it step by step in assembler code. I started to figure out a crap load of parameters for the 89/90's and realised that what I was seeing with the EEC Tuner board was not right with some of the parameters.

Fraser, as you know, Assembler is SO powerful; you can do anything with it. Props to you for learning/knowing it. I wish i had the patience, but unfortunately it's literally a foreign language to me. My dad uses assembler to write code to control industrial machines ( ="http://www.reelex.com/Pages/Machines/D-2000/d-2000.htm" ) despite the infomercial-like advertisement the website has, you should watch the whole video. While it doesn't show everything, the level of detail is gross; there are over 300 sensors on the machine that all work in unison to make one of these coils. Not to belabor the point, but take special notice of what it takes to string the wire into the mandrel before a new coil is started. the traverse, mandrel and table that holds the wire all have to be in a very specific location before the mandrel can begin to expand and capture the wire. theI would not hesitate to say that he is an expert, and I do not use that term loosely. If you ever want to shoot idea's past him let me know. He would be thrilled with the challenge and it would give him a chance to help me out with my car (maybe indirectly). Several years ago I think I surpassed him from a mechanical point of view, so now as far as a "go to guy" the only fields he has are software and electronics, and I wouldn't trust anyone else more than him. In fact, he just revisited his glory days and build a 200W tube amp. Not only does it sound good but it looks cool too when it's running and glowing.

Last edited:
I will use whatever motor I wish. I've had a 95 GT
60a0_20.jpg

and a 87 GT (beautiful car)
SDC10080.jpg

this summer and now im I' back with v6. I like the underdog. The motor which no one expects anything from. I had alot of fun in my m90 swaped mustang
100_0205.jpg

(yes those are boobs :D) but something sounded bad with it internaly so I sold it. This time im doing it right! I do like this board .. 1001 pages of info is just insane! there is alot of tech here. I just want to try something different with my exhaust. Who are you to say what I should use? I can get mpg, speed, and 've fallen for that sweet sweet roots sound!

"You won't be happy with a 3.8 SC'd, ever."... **** you bud, I'll suggest this site for people like i have before (yea bet you didn't expect that) but I won't say nothing positive about you and aplvlydrtybrd thats for sure. oh I'm sorry...sorry for having to listen you gys belittle someone trying something new when that wasn't even the subject. and if you looked at MY FIRST POSTS, I did thank peoplefor their input now didn't I? case closed.

"You won't be happy with a 3.8 SC'd, ever."... **** you bud, I'll suggest this site for people like i have before (yea bet you didn't expect that) but I won't say nothing positive about you and aplvlydrtybrd thats for sure. oh I'm sorry...sorry for having to listen you gys belittle someone trying something new when that wasn't even the subject. and if you looked at MY FIRST POSTS, I did thank peoplefor their input now didn't I? case closed.

i didnt belittle you because you are trying something new, we tried to offer you our advice on exhaust from experience and you said that we need to relearn everything we know and drool over jay allen. That is why you were belittled.

This community deserves respect and i made sure you knew that. whether you like me or not that doesnt matter. I've helped a few people on these boards and I'd lik to think respected by most and I sure as hell respect everyone on here.

That is why myself and a couple others took offense and made you aware of what you had done. Look at what Jay allen does to people when they only disagree with him, he belittles and insults them.

Now you change your ways and respect us and what we have to say, there isnt a problem. So I wont hold any grudges, but this community has been around for a while and deserve respect.

case now closed.

Back