supercoupe abuse level?

Nate_V6

how much abuse can these motors take? i dont want to have to worry about something randomly breaking. an mp2 with stock headers, 2.5" exhuast and un-ported heads makes what around 16psi with a 10% o/d? are these motors very reliable or is there some precautions i should know about?

how much abuse can these motors take? i dont want to have to worry about something randomly breaking. an mp2 with stock headers, 2.5" exhuast and un-ported heads makes what around 16psi with a 10% o/d? are these motors very reliable or is there some precautions i should know about?

I had ALL the MP2 stuff w/42# injectors SCP complete exhaust,76mm Pro-M mafs, BHJ hb, underdrives, and 10% od on the SC,Snow meth kit, on a stock lower end engine. I raced it some at the track ,but, not alot. I didn't drive it easy on the street though and had no issues with engine reliability. I did blow the headgaskets at a 100k ,but, replaced them with stock 4.2L mls gaskets from NAPA and put about 35k more on until the trans started slipping. In my opinion the motors are very strong and with properly tuned setups they hold up as good as anything I've seen.
In my experience, the precautions I'd take are getting a BHJ hb and MLS headgaskets.Doing it over again those would be my main focus because it will be a problem if you own the car long enough. Get rid of the stock resonator also. I don't know if it really contributes to headgasket failure ,but, the theory makes sense and it seemed like a noticable performance enhancement to go to a better flowing resonator.

Last edited:
In 1998 I had about 250 RWHP and 75K miles.
By 2004 I had about 285 RWHP and 120K miles.
Since 2006 I've had 380 RWHP and now about 140K miles.

Still pluggin along on stock short block.

Sounds like somebody owned a cavalier :eek:

yea thats too bad...

i rebuilt mine to stock specs and made close to 400 rwhp and 500 ftlbs of tq...crank is the same rods are same and pistons are hyperutechtic (sp)...but thats not to say it wont fall apart tomorrow.

with your set-up you should be fine unless you blow a headgasket but thats all you should have to worry about for now...

also the car should be properly tuned with any mods as well

ha yea this car isnt cheap in general....once you have replaced all the things that go wrong with this car its good to go, but the list almost seems to never end once you start trying to make power. especially now with the cars being older and having alot more miles on them...which is the case with most cars.

hmmm never owned a cavaliar, but I know people who have had them, that have had enough problems stock lol so I'm asuming they would be worse with more power. and what do you mean have I changed my mind yet? my plans change as I learn things. is that what your reffering to?

he is referring to the fact that its not cheap to make this car go fast. and the faster you go the more problems can occur.

which goes for any car especially one thats running force induction.

I don't think its unusual for people to change their minds, but it is annoying when someone asks 500 questions and hasn't made any progress, lol. I think I asked 5 or 10 questions before I bought the stuff and started my swap, figured out a lot myself along the way.

i know almost all the things im buying. exhuast, cam, tuner, motor, deciding on blower, tune, sub frames, j-mod, fuel pump...etc but right now im trying to figure out what pully makes the mp2 run at optimal level. and if another blower runs the same psi but more efficient, i might opt for it instead. i know id take the mp2 over the S port.

try doing a search but upgrading from a mp2 would be to go to an mp3 or the new mpx....best option would auto rotor but those arent too easy to get, and also not that cheap.

Back