manual steering rack

I don't know if anything will fit or not (Ed comes up short?!?!??! :eek: ), but keep in mind that you can always re-route the stock lines to bypass the pump and call it done. Just remember you'll have the same steering ratio as stock, as opposed to what you'd usually find with some type of conversion (rack and pinion ratio is usually different on manual racks to compensate the lack of power assist).

Gonna be a pita, but possible.

yeah I was reading a post here in teh SCCOA where the gu removed the baffle in the rack and seald the hose outlets. greased up the rack and used it like that. he said that the stearing was stiff while standing still butgreat while moving. might try that route. the plus side of or cars is that the rack bolts in from the bottom.:D

manual rack

ya i put a manual rack in my 90 sc almost direct bolt in youre tie rods will work fine bolts up to the crossmember just a little work to the rag joint no welding u will need to drill out the rivets on the rag joint and put the bottom end that came with the rack and atach it with grade 8 bolts to the origanl top part of the rag joint you could also put a little weld on the bolts to make shur they dont losen i got min from napa in antioch ill wen i spoke to them just menchened what i whanted to do and they set me up dont remember how much it was it wasent that bad now for gains dind see any real performence gains but no more anoying power stering wine sounds alot nicer and if you do some grinding to the braket it can really open up youre engine bay looks alot nicer and more rome for aftermarket inter cooler pipes and the sterring is alot harder most people will think youre crazy wen u tell them u drive a 4000 lb car with 225 on the front and manual rack but save me frome going to the gymsorry for the horable spelling and grammer if you need any more info or help just ask as u can see could talk for hours

I have the rack from your antiach napa and they raped me hard on it price wise....I would not suggest it if this a street car AT ALL unless you plan on running skinnies all the time. Mines a street car, and I will be taking it out very soon and putting power back in. it does make the engine bay way more open which is nice..So if this is something you are really interested in, shoot me a PM and we can work out some kind of deal on it. its brand new it has like 200 miles on it.

Last edited:
ya i put a manual rack in my 90 sc almost direct bolt in youre tie rods will work fine bolts up to the crossmember just a little work to the rag joint no welding u will need to drill out the rivets on the rag joint and put the bottom end that came with the rack and atach it with grade 8 bolts to the origanl top part of the rag joint you could also put a little weld on the bolts to make shur they dont losen i got min from napa in antioch ill wen i spoke to them just menchened what i whanted to do and they set me up dont remember how much it was it wasent that bad now for gains dind see any real performence gains but no more anoying power stering wine sounds alot nicer and if you do some grinding to the braket it can really open up youre engine bay looks alot nicer and more rome for aftermarket inter cooler pipes and the sterring is alot harder most people will think youre crazy wen u tell them u drive a 4000 lb car with 225 on the front and manual rack but save me frome going to the gymsorry for the horable spelling and grammer if you need any more info or help just ask as u can see could talk for hours

what rack did you use? nm12's didnt come with a manual rack so what car did you use?

btw heres a writeup on Bruce's car that he just put in a manual rack
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/rack pinion.htm

hey thanks for the link ive been looking for something like that for a while. Much appreciated!!

that is the rack i bought its from napa in ill never saw that right up before wen i was doing this would of helped alot i drive 90 thunderbird super coupe

that is the rack i bought its from napa in ill never saw that right up before wen i was doing this would of helped alot i drive 90 thunderbird super coupe

so you didnt answer my question. the rack, what car is it out of, i dont care what you put it in, just what the rack is from, year make model.

sorry am pretty shur its a mustange 94 and up but a dont think any rack from a mustange will work am pretty shur it has some fabing don to it when i did mine i gave them a call and told them what i needed and they said they have done it a couple times before am shur if u gave them a call they could give u all the specifics sorry i was just tring to help

sorry am pretty shur its a mustange 94 and up but a dont think any rack from a mustange will work am pretty shur it has some fabing don to it when i did mine i gave them a call and told them what i needed and they said they have done it a couple times before am shur if u gave them a call they could give u all the specifics sorry i was just tring to help

spell check??? cant understand a thing you said there.

Fail

94-up Mustangs were never available with manual steering. It might be something from an early 80s Mustang, those had manual steering as standard equipment.

cheers
Ed N.

+1 to what Tbird420 said, and +1 to what Miller said.

It's not convenient for a street car as you really have to crank the wheel when moving slowly. And it puts way too much stress on the rag joint to drive for a long period of time.

I drove my 89 Base model for a little while with no power steering - it was not particularly fun.

Back