Turbo Kits...

aplvlydrtybird

Just wanted to know if there would be people out there who would actually want a turbo kit.

I've been tossing around the idea of making a couple. I would need an untouched donor car, mine has been modified too far now. It all depends on what people would want to spend, and what they want out of it.

400+hp/tq would be easy to attain with the right turbo/fuel set-up.

So i guess if you have any thoughts whether it would be a great idea or a bad one let me know. And if you do want one, what would you want it to have/not have. Would you want to retain a/c, how big of intercooler, size of injectors, blow through maf/draw through maf, intake manifold selection(i.e. n/a 3.8 upper, tuning, etc...

This is just an idea, nothing more. just wondering if this would spark anyones interest.

I think the large majority of us are going to wait out and see what XR7 Dave cooks up in his SC kitchen. :)

yea thats true!

Just know that there is some interest in turbos, so I figured I would see.

Good to know though I want all comments for either way. Thanks.

kieth, i'd be more than interested in a hotside kit that retians stock o2 bungs, etc. and a downpipe that would bolt to a stock resonator.

put it in the same place yours is, or make it on the other side so that the radiator doesnt have to be moved over, and the turbo sits right at the stock IC location. a cold side with pipes/couplings from ebay would allow a certain level of customization... but i think a hotside kit is what could sell bigtime.

just my .02 lol... if i can find another wrx TD04l turbo.. lets just say i'll be one more on the list of turbo induction.

Tyler,

Yea i never thought about where the existing stock ic is obviously because i have a different radiator in a different place.

That would be one idea i would have to see how the ic would be routed as well. placement for that is a huge factor as well, because i wouldnt recommend not intercooling it.

just a hotside is a pretty good idea, be a little bit easier, because there are alot of intercooler options and a couple different intakes that can be used as well.

Turbo

I think a HOTSIDE kit would sell very well, this way turbo/ intake/ IC options are never ending

Cool, I like there are a few people interested.

Were you guys thinking of using a turbo i select or you want to leave that option open...

because then different turbo can make for different flanges and routing. mainly on the downpipe side, most turbos will take the t3/t4 flange, but there are alot of different options for the exit side.

Maybe a v band? Would leave it open to a lot of great turbo selections, and if they wanted, they could just order a downpipe flange from eBay, and have their local shop weld it on for them. Would give more selectability. Personally, I think a set of your 'modified' headers would be excellent as a starting point.

Maybe a v band? Would leave it open to a lot of great turbo selections, and if they wanted, they could just order a downpipe flange from eBay, and have their local shop weld it on for them. Would give more selectability. Personally, I think a set of your 'modified' headers would be excellent as a starting point.

Some exhaust housings carry a v-band some 5 bolt flange or a 4 bolt flange.
there are a few different styles you can get.

so i think a hot side minus a down pipe would be easier. i want to do some further testing with my next turbo which will most likely be a master power t70 and see what kind of power/spool time i can make with it. and ultimately make it a desired turbo for most everyone's needs which would make it a lot easier.

but i still understand people want options.

what i'd really like to do, but probably wont happen, is build each one for each car, then fitment issues would never be a problem and can make it custom to each person. :)

I had no idea that there we're only a handful of different flanges for turbos. My td04 has the 5 bolt, just like every other mitsu turbo.

T4 is a very common flange...the GT35 will bolt up to it. IMO if you are going to make a single turbo kit for an sc it should use a T4 flange.

Agreed a t4 flange is the way to go. Problem will be making the downpipe, because it's specific to what turbo/exhaust housing is being used. If you are planning to plumb the wastegate exit back into the downpipe, it's even more important to select a specific turbo for the kit.

David

gt35 is not a large frame turbo. The inducer wheel is 61.4mm exducr is 82mm

This would be a great turbo to do a kit, it can easily make 400hp to the wheels and it has been proven. I made just under 400 with a considerably smaller turbo.

I am planning on running a master power t-70 which is a little larger than the gt35. it has a 69.1mm inducer 91.0mm exducer. also comes with a t4 flange.

it is part number 950022-1137 here

there isnt much need for a large frame turbo on these engines...or at least for a kit if it were to be built. I dont see anyone needing one.

I could certainly put a wastegate set-up on there right before the flange to place it in a certain area and then let the user finish it post wastegate. probably would use a tial wastegate...i dont think anyone would disagree, its a great wastegate.

i think going with a specific turbo might make it easier to build multiple kits... then if they wanted, they'd be able to upgrade to a different turbo by welding on the flanges.

i think you could have something here, bro. so long as you can get a donor car, get a proto, and reproduce it, set a fair price, and have some buyers, you could make some bux. and since you ARE a long time member, you have a certain amt of trust from us. :)

Back