Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultimate sin...

I'll be the one to bring them back...!! haha..gogogadget thunderbird!

Hey ive got an idea on wheels for you for cheap. I always liked the style of the 93 LX 15" wheels. They were like a 10 spoke wheel or so. Get a set of those and some white-letter tires and it will looks nice. Just gotta keep 'em clean is all. If you want to keep the car looking stock on the outside(which is just fine), big chrome wheels will be a tough look to appreciate.
    Me-89 SC 5-speed 1.7 Autorotor twin screw over 443rwhp 20psi
    Her-95 SC auto 1.7 KB 400rwhp 17psi
    my email

Question

I was checkin out this page and was wondering what the diffrent weight displacments mean..the heavier the better/stuffer? or the lighter the more they will sink for a low look? Could someone please explain. thanks!!

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-t...gs/springs.htm

Also.. What do you guys prefer linear or progressive springs? Progressive sound better to me but is there a benefit to linear?

Quote Originally Posted by zfink View Post
    I was checkin out this page and was wondering what the diffrent weight displacments mean..the heavier the better/stuffer? or the lighter the more they will sink for a low look? Could someone please explain. thanks!!
    Yes and yes. The spring rate is expressed in pounds per inch, so 286 lbs/in means that you would have to lay 286 pounds of stuff on top of the spring to make it compress 1 inch. I'm sure you have noticed that some read like "286-401 lbs/in." That means it is a progressive-rate spring. The spring gets stiffer as you compress it further. I think they do this by varying the coil spacing as they wind the spring. Higher numbers mean the spring is more resistant to compression. So, yes, a lower number means the car will ride lower - but only if you start with springs of equal length. Most lowering springs end up being shorter and stiffer so the total amount of damping is comparable - and the car doesn't bottom out the springs!

Progressive is generally accepted as better because of the ride benefits - the softer first inch or so helps to soak up bumps. However, if you move to a spring with a linear rate, you may feel a handling benefit.

You can see an explanation of the handling effects here (http://www.swiftsprings.com/faq01.html), but bear in mind that page is tailored to racers and doesn't give any consideration to the idea of ride comfort.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

How can I load a video? Is it just like pictures?

on vids. you have to upload them to a site like youtube or putfile... then post a link.

congrats on the bird, and that was a pretty slick dub you had.

Vids...

Here's a quick vid of just how clean the interior is...

Here's one of the accelorationish..?

For Sale!!

Anyone want to trade me something for this thing? Bled the brakes this past weekend. Car now has 47,000 miles. I'm intrested in everything. Nothings wrong with the car. It just doesn't suit me. It's time for me to get a truck. Awsome car with no flaws, just not into it anymore.