Swapping early model washer tank into late model

pablon2

As some of you know the '93 is a bit of an odd duck when it comes to SCs. It has nuances of early and late model in it. Case in point, the washer reservoir. On the '93 it sits between the IC and the LH headlight, but on the early model it sits in the engine bay. I am installing an FMIC in my '93 and looks like I'll have to relocate or get rid of the reservoir. A fellow member suggested installing an early model one in the early model stock location. I have quite a few wires running through that area where it would sit. I'm interested in knowing if anyone has done this.

I was thinking about doing the reverse on my 89 to free up some space...but I too plan on installing a FMIC eventually. Is it in the way badly up there, or just kind-of in the way?

I was thinking about doing the reverse on my 89 to free up some space...but I too plan on installing a FMIC eventually. Is it in the way badly up there, or just kind-of in the way?

My mounting options are few given the size of the FMIC (31x12x4). Although long and narrow, the '93 washer tank won't fit with the FMIC mounted. I might try to modify it to fit. Either way, it will be a chore.

Come on Paul, how often do you drive the car? :p Just ditch it :D

-Melon

Well, the only time I'd have to use the wipers due to rain would be if rain came out of nowhere. (I don't knowingly drive it when rain is forecast). I would like to retain the tank though so I can wash off the bug guts on those summer evening cruises. :D

Last edited:
If you search google, you'll be able to find some aftermarket "windshield washer kit" parts that come with a tank and a pump and hoses and harness to wire something custom up. Add Boat to that and you'll find more kits. You probably just need a small tank. Stick it in the fender well or somewhere and run it off the wires to the existing pump.

The early model tanks are kinda big and you likely don't have room for that.

The early tanks are huge I think I've filled mine up twice since I've owned the car. They are kind of an eyesore in the engine bay.

Donation!

I'll donate mine to you if you want"Early-Style" since I just took it off the SC just pay for shipping:D:eek::p

Tom

I stuck mine in the rad support like the washer bottle. It came out of an early 80's bird. I have a FMIC and it only blocks about 4 inches of it.

Oops! Just realized you were talking about the windshield washer tank, sorry.

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I stuck mine in the rad support like the washer bottle. It came out of an early 80's bird. I have a FMIC and it only blocks about 4 inches of it.

Oops! Just realized you were talking about the windshield washer tank, sorry.

Good idea though for the coolant overflow. :) Which reminds me, since it is out of the car again, I need to grind the legs off my C&L MAF so it stops digging a hole in my overflow. :rolleyes:

Good idea though for the coolant overflow. :) Which reminds me, since it is out of the car again, I need to grind the legs off my C&L MAF so it stops digging a hole in my overflow. :rolleyes:

Sorry to necro bump, but I never thought about grinding the legs off my C&L. Great idea. Too bad I already modified my custom heat shield to compensate for them. :rolleyes:

Gotta get back to the thread now. Looking for ideas on what to do since I just pulled my washer fluid reservoir outta my '94 and I need to relocate or replace it.

whats a washer fluid thingy oh by the way that only works with thee windshield wipers right I dont have any. Only at inspection time and I'm 5 month late (Parked it needs tires)

whats a washer fluid thingy oh by the way that only works with thee windshield wipers right I dont have any. Only at inspection time and I'm 5 month late (Parked it needs tires)

Are you asking or being sarcastic because you removed yours long ago.

I found a post where GDIII moved his late model reservoir further over behind the DS headlight, but I can't for the life of me figure out how he made it fit. :confused:

Back