Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: shifter bushings f5tz-7228-a

Need Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by nascar john View Post
    gentlemen, i have 2 sets of 2 shifter bushings for the m5r2 shifter. ...i am selling them for 10.00 per set delivered to you via paypal.
    please send payments to my paypal account rjpim@hotmail.com.
    Greetings,
    Are the bushings still available?
    Thanks,
    -Dave
    I intend to feel good.
    1995 SC 5spd
    1997 GT Mustang blown(Roush 1)

Quote Originally Posted by cntinuum View Post
    Greetings,
    Are the bushings still available?
    Thanks,
    -Dave
    double ditto here

Smile Bushings

Hey guys,
    Go to mackstrans.com-buy a bunch cause they are so cheap!
    Now go to google and type in m5r2 shifter rebuild. Good luck-not complicated at all

MACK'S Standard Transmission

Thanks for the information.
    I went to the site and the part search returned nothing. I have sent an email to MST and will see what their response is to availability of the bushings.
    -Dave
    I intend to feel good.
    1995 SC 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by nascar john View Post
    Hey guys,
    Go to mackstrans.com-buy a bunch cause they are so cheap!
    Now go to google and type in m5r2 shifter rebuild. Good luck-not complicated at all
    Same trans M5R2 that is used in the F-150,lt duty F-250, Ranger, Mazda B3000 and 4000. there are listings everywhere for the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rlittlep View Post
    Same trans M5R2 that is used in the F-150,lt duty F-250, Ranger, Mazda B3000 and 4000. there are listings everywhere for the parts.
    So the shifter being mounted over the center of the transmission in the Ford Trucks uses the same shifter as on the SC M5R2? That is news to me and something I have not read anywhere.

From the hours of reading I have done, it seems the M5R2 in the SC's has a number of different internals from the truck transmission. The rebuild kits I have seen, are listed seperately for a SC versus a truck M5R2.

Check this out. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111271
    Trying to find enough interest to make a special run to make this obsolete M5R2 set of parts.
    -Dave
    I intend to feel good.
    1995 SC 5spd

So the shifter being mounted over the center of the transmission in the Ford Trucks uses the same shifter as on the SC M5R2? That is news to me and something I have not read anywhere.

From the hours of reading I have done, it seems the M5R2 in the SC's has a number of different internals from the truck transmission. The rebuild kits I have seen, are listed seperately for a SC versus a truck M5R2.

Check this out. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111271
    Trying to find enough interest to make a special run to make this obsolete M5R2 set of parts.
    -Dave
    I know its hard to believe but a simple google of M5R2 will reveal a whole new source of info. My buddy who repairs transmissions for a living{professionally} just did an SC trans, using truck syncros. You will find a Ford truck enthusist forum that talks about the M5R2. Try this link, you may have to copy/paste: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ter+repair+kit.

You will also find an ebay auction with the M5R2 Shifter repair kit{complete} auction # 190329417479 for$15.94 w/$5.94 shipping.
    The kit fits: 1991-up Ford Thunderbird 5 speed manual RKE
    1987 and up Ford Ranger Pickup 5 speed manual M5R1 / M50D
    1987 and up Ford Explorer 5 speed manual M5R1 / M50D
    1987 and up Ford F150 Pickup 5 speed manual M5R2 / M50D
    1994-UP Mazda Navajo , Mazda B3000 Pickup , Mazda B4000 Pickup
    As I said just google M5R2 as see what you didn't know..
    Also, the part number given here on this post F5TZ-7228-A breaks down F5=1995,TZ=Truck,7228 the specific part group.
    It's also a little off of the subject but HURST makes a short throw shifter for the M5R2 trans, looking under truck shifters.
    Bob
    Last edited by rlittlep; 04-25-2010 at 07:03 AM.

The number changes up to 1L2Z 7228 AA, still available new from Ford. Same shifter bushings used in 2000s Ranger with the M5R1 trans.

cheers
    Ed N.

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    The number changes up to 1L2Z 7228 AA, still available new from Ford. Same shifter bushings used in 2000s Ranger with the M5R1 trans.

cheers
    Ed N.
    My understanding, is the gears and brass syncros interchange with the supercoupe trans. The cases are obviously different. I just don't know what the gear ratios are though in the truck trans.

Part diagram for RKE M5R2 shifter

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post

cheers
    Ed N.
    Thanks Ed,
    There was nothing between the top and bottom of the ball on the shifter under the boot. Do you know where I can get an exploded view so I know what parts I need and of course the order they go in?

As you can see in the pic, (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113666 #6) the inner plate is beaten up and the boot on the top dust cover plate is cut/ripped.
    Sorry for the link, the site will not let me attach the picture to this thread.
    I am guessing I am up a creek hoping to find these parts.
    Thanks again,
    -Dave
    I intend to feel good.
    1995 SC 5spd

Thanks Ed,
    There was nothing between the top and bottom of the ball on the shifter under the boot. Do you know where I can get an exploded view so I know what parts I need and of course the order they go in?

As you can see in the pic, (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113666 #6) the inner plate is beaten up and the boot on the top dust cover plate is cut/ripped.
    Sorry for the link, the site will not let me attach the picture to this thread.
    I am guessing I am up a creek hoping to find these parts.
    Thanks again,
    -Dave
    If you google the M5R2 you will see a subject in bold [PDF] M5R1, M5R2. It provides a full PDF exploded view of the M5R2 trans. The COMPLETE shifter repair kit is available on Ebay, auction # 190329417479

Does the Shifter Rebuild kit fit?

Quote Originally Posted by rlittlep View Post
    I know its hard to believe but a simple google of M5R2 will reveal a whole new source of info. ...Try this link, you may have to copy/paste: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ter+repair+kit.

You will also find an ebay auction with the M5R2 Shifter repair kit{complete} auction # 190329417479 for$15.94 w/$5.94 shipping.
    The kit fits: 1991-up Ford Thunderbird 5 speed manual RKE ...
    As I said just google M5R2 as see what you didn't know..
    Also, the part number given here on this post F5TZ-7228-A breaks down F5=1995,TZ=Truck,7228 the specific part group.
    It's also a little off of the subject but HURST makes a short throw shifter for the M5R2 trans, looking under truck shifters.
    Bob
    Thanks Bob, I will work on my myopia.
    Bob, have you read this post? Maybe you can help a lot of people.
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...hlight=Syncros

This is a rebuild article from MN12 Performance.
    http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performanc...ild-howto.html
    Note the shifter on the trans is a Ripper.

BTW check out post #8 of this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113640
    It is discussion about a Hurst shifter for a RKE trans, never happened, it appears.

I have never worked on this trans before, so I donít know much about them. When I do a search and get 1M hits, that is not very useful when the first several pages are just noise for what I am looking for. I have spent 100's of hours attempting to get up to speed on this trans. I choose not to be the first to try something. If one of the old warriors(David Dalke(XR7 Dave), Mike Puckett, ricardoa1, Duffy Floyd, fast Ed) on this forum says this will work, then I would listen. I am interested in personal experience and how the product performed.

I have been searching on this subject in SCCoA, TCCoA, and the Internet in general. I have yet to find an exploded view of the shifter for the RKE M5R2 with part numbers. I have found lots of discussion on the differences in the Ford truck M5R2 and the Ford SC M5R2.

The eBay auction you reference 190329417479, the top cover is not the same as what is on my trans. There is also an inner plate that is not shown in this kit. It is a GREAT price, if it will really work. The 3 black bolts, I have. The other 2 silver ones, I have no idea where they are used. Maybe the bushings are the same.

When I pulled the shifter out, I had 3 pieces, the top can with boot, an inner plate, and the remnant that looks like a flat spring.
    -Dave
    I intend to feel good.
    1995 SC 5spd

Thanks Bob, I will work on my myopia.
    Bob, have you read this post? Maybe you can help a lot of people.
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...hlight=Syncros

This is a rebuild article from MN12 Performance.
    http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performanc...ild-howto.html
    Note the shifter on the trans is a Ripper.

BTW check out post #8 of this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113640
    It is discussion about a Hurst shifter for a RKE trans, never happened, it appears.

I have never worked on this trans before, so I don’t know much about them. When I do a search and get 1M hits, that is not very useful when the first several pages are just noise for what I am looking for. I have spent 100's of hours attempting to get up to speed on this trans. I choose not to be the first to try something. If one of the old warriors(David Dalke(XR7 Dave), Mike Puckett, ricardoa1, Duffy Floyd, fast Ed) on this forum says this will work, then I would listen. I am interested in personal experience and how the product performed.

I have been searching on this subject in SCCoA, TCCoA, and the Internet in general. I have yet to find an exploded view of the shifter for the RKE M5R2 with part numbers. I have found lots of discussion on the differences in the Ford truck M5R2 and the Ford SC M5R2.

The eBay auction you reference 190329417479, the top cover is not the same as what is on my trans. There is also an inner plate that is not shown in this kit. It is a GREAT price, if it will really work. The 3 black bolts, I have. The other 2 silver ones, I have no idea where they are used. Maybe the bushings are the same.

When I pulled the shifter out, I had 3 pieces, the top can with boot, an inner plate, and the remnant that looks like a flat spring.
    -Dave
    I have 10 years of Auto Mechanic {Mercury Dealer} experience. I left the dealer for Ford Motor Co to be a leader/Technician working on the company lease cars. All total I have 30 years as an auto mechanic.My buddy, has been rebuilding transmissions {All brands}for 30 years. He said he used one of the gears and syncros from the truck trans to solve an issue with a supercoupe trans. My experience is mostly in driveability and electrical/electronic systems but When he tells me something will work, I believe him. Here is the Google page I talk about. There are alot of different avenues you can follow just from this page. you may have to copy/paste if the link doesn't work. http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ter+repair+kit
    Bob

Exploded View M5R2 RKE shifter

Actually found a link on this site that referenced a rebuild article for the SC shifter. http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni...%20Rebuild.htm The Lever Boot, E9SZ-7277-A, is obsolete. The Ranger part is round as the SC part has a flat on the passenger side.
    Current p/n's seem to be 1L2Z-7228-AA(2), 1L2Z-7Z120-AA(1), E8TZ-7E018-A(4).
    slowpoke, suggested a solution of the torn boot of "at autozone in the brake pump fliud lid area you can find some that the flex circles are close to the size of the boot needed for our shifters. they cost around $4. cut the circle flex part out and use an oil resistant resin to mold it to the original plate.

I feel well armed with information and ready to get the parts and rebuild this shifter.

The eBay auctions by partswomen, 190329417479, looks to only have bushings, 1L2Z-7228-AA common to the parts neede to rebuild a SC shifter. The spring that goes in the back of the bushing, 1L2Z-7Z120-AA and the washers E8TZ-7E018-A, are not shown. The Lever Boot is round, the rubber boot look smaller.
    -Dave
    I intend to feel good.
    1995 SC 5spd

Actually found a link on this site that referenced a rebuild article for the SC shifter. http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni...%20Rebuild.htm The Lever Boot, E9SZ-7277-A, is obsolete. The Ranger part is round as the SC part has a flat on the passenger side.
    Current p/n's seem to be 1L2Z-7228-AA(2), 1L2Z-7Z120-AA(1), E8TZ-7E018-A(4).
    slowpoke, suggested a solution of the torn boot of "at autozone in the brake pump fliud lid area you can find some that the flex circles are close to the size of the boot needed for our shifters. they cost around $4. cut the circle flex part out and use an oil resistant resin to mold it to the original plate.

I feel well armed with information and ready to get the parts and rebuild this shifter.

The eBay auctions by partswomen, 190329417479, looks to only have bushings, 1L2Z-7228-AA common to the parts neede to rebuild a SC shifter. The spring that goes in the back of the bushing, 1L2Z-7Z120-AA and the washers E8TZ-7E018-A, are not shown. The Lever Boot is round, the rubber boot look smaller.
    -Dave
    Dave,I see what you mean in the ebay parts kit. My thought though{looking at the exploded view link you sent} makes me think thr TWO silver screws are actually the two shifter posts themselves. I'm half tempted to buy a kit just to find out. If I spend $20 at least I know I can use Parts of this repair kit. I'd be iteresting to see if we all can get together{start a new post} to solve the dilemma we all face w/5spd M5R2 transmissions. Our only optoins will be to start transplanting t-5/t-45 or the tremec into out Supercoupes...UGHHH
    Bob