Engine swap possibilities

you should seriously consider a 351windsor. then y can save money by NOT having to beef up the bottom end, and just spend money in the top. and if you wanted you can get 408 stroking kits for 1500 or less. and all the assessories on the 302 can be swapped onto the 351! and to begin with like a I said a stock 351w will take 650-700hp without fail.

remember theres never enough money to do it right the first time, but theres always enough to do it over ;)

and I agree about being unique. I could have just bought my cobra 1st and just worked on that, but I think the SC v6 in my mustang is different and when its done Ill have a car thats hopefully going to break 11s for 7 grand or less including buying the car (and 30mpg) including the 18" chromes and saleen bodykit with a 96 cobra hood. also around here its dodge country and everyone is hemi this and hemi that(dont tell them the hemi name is fake!)...bunch of ricers! I can't wait to see the look on their faces when their 6.1 gets there ~~~ handed to them by a car thast not even worth their engine lol

Big block made easy and light..

First off, I have done or been involved with at least a half dozen big block change overs. I have also given help over the phone to another ten or so mn12 owners since I did the first swap many years ago... They do work fine on the street and I drove one all summer as my daily driver a few years ago. Heck I even took a few trips with one.. So they can be done and made to run just like any other engine.. Now as for fuel milage, you will be down to the 10 to 15 range depending on how hard you drive and how crazy you build the engine.
Now lets look at that weight issue.... I beleive it was the second car I built that I put everything on the scale as it came out of the car and as it was added.... GUESS WHAT.... The big block with alumium heads and intake was LIGHTER by 60 lbs when all was said and done...
Here is how it went... The "K" member was changed, headers were added, with the alumium engine parts and it got a power glide transmission...
People have to remember that you are getting rid of all the inner cooler & pipes, blower, 30 lbs of wire and misc junk, and a few other parts that all add weight. If you get really crazy you can even go with an alumium block and really save some weight up front. There have been a few blocks made and if you look you can still find one, but expect to spend a few $$$$$ to get it home.
So it is all up to what makes you happy. If you build or buy a "Ford " built 514 you can be looking at something that is streetable and still gives you 500 hp or more, and it comes with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.
Now how hard is it to put in, well that is the best part. Most of it is bolt in, with a bit of welding on the frame adaptors for the engine mounts. The trans mount is simple and even uses the stock cross member. The drive shaft must be made but ANYONE who is using a stock driveshaft and making over 300 hp is asking for a huge mess to come his way. The engine gets a carb and point dist. so that means that all the oem engine system can go on the - side of the scale.
This is just a short look at this swap, but everyone that has done it loves the end product.......Rich

have you done this particular swap with a 91-93 5.0 into a 94 SC? im not really looking to go with a big block......i know that would give me very good hp numbers just on motor with little aftermarket, but i am still more geared towards the 302. hopefully with time and money, after the swap is completed (if i can afford to in the near future) ill work the 302 into a real beast.

well with the big block swap, I would have said go with that first lol, but since your not going with the big block and deciding the 302. what is the reason your not considering the 351w?

its going to be cheaper to get a complete 93 5.0 t-bird, instead of getting that PLUS a 351w. im not made of money you know lol :D

351w can be had for under 500 and you save money by not having to build the bottom, but its ok, you can still build a killer 363.

so, bottom line to get this thing moving is to source a 1993 thunderbird with the 5.0 first. ive got a few other concerns as well. since i want to keep all my accessories, such as A/C, what am i going to need to do that? more specifically, am i going to run into any problems with the electronic climate control that i have in my 94? overall, what are the main compatibility issues i am going to run into?? ive currently got a spec stage 2 clutch with their billet steel flywheel installed on the SC. its barely used, but is that going to work right off the bat, or do i need to get that rebalanced or something along those lines? i am going to want to install headers right away; so am i going to have to modify anything for them to fit? i really want to make sure that all aspects are covered here. i want have this as well thought out as possible.

Here you go Rocco...1993 LX w/5.0 for $500

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=118810

David

I did a 5.0 swap on a 5spd SC and it was fine. I did also add an aluminum flywheel, dual exhaust, and electric fan while I was doing it so it had a few advantages but in that form it ran about as well as a stock SC. I think if you did that and added a KB blower kit the car would be a lot of fun without being overly complicated and would be dead nuts reliable.

Perfect timing for this thread! I just bought a '90 SC with the idea of doing the 5.0 with KB Supercharger swap. But, I just talked to Kenne-Bell and they say that they do not sell the supercharger kit for T-Birds anymore. So I asked if I could use the 5.0 Mustang kit. The tech guy said that he did not know the answer, because he could not find anyone who knew what the difference was between the kits. Does anyone know the difference?
Does anyone have the 5.0 TBird kit from Kenne-Bell?

Perfect timing for this thread! I just bought a '90 SC with the idea of doing the 5.0 with KB Supercharger swap. But, I just talked to Kenne-Bell and they say that they do not sell the supercharger kit for T-Birds anymore. So I asked if I could use the 5.0 Mustang kit. The tech guy said that he did not know the answer, because he could not find anyone who knew what the difference was between the kits. Does anyone know the difference?
Does anyone have the 5.0 TBird kit from Kenne-Bell?

I believe you can use the 94/5 Mustang kit but it will require an aftermarket hood.

I currently own 3 supercoupes (3x v6 3.8 supercharged) and a 92 stock 5.0 lx that i swapped in a 351w and m5r2.

If i had it my way I would have stayed with the 5.0 and put a supercharger on it like I originally wanted to. Only reason why I went with the 351w is because I threw 2 rods in the 5.0. Thats when the 351w swap for a few hundred more appealed to me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. If your interested in knowing how involved it is I have a swap thread.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=103398&page=19

decipha, why did you choose the M5R2?
One of my goals is to eliminate the M5R2 in favor of something like a T56.
I find M5R2s to very difficult to shift quickly, particularly in lower gears.

The problem with the M5R2 being difficult to shift is entirely in the shifter. Replace the stock POS shifter with a B&M ripper, and it shifts just fine. Plus the M5R2 is strong and cheap, whereas the T5 is weak and cheap and the T56 is strong and expensive.

The problem with the M5R2 being difficult to shift is entirely in the shifter. Replace the stock POS shifter with a B&M ripper, and it shifts just fine. Plus the M5R2 is strong and cheap, whereas the T5 is weak and cheap and the T56 is strong and expensive.

Great! I will definitely try the B&M shifter.
I agree the that M5R2 is strong and cheap, and the T56 is expensive, but it does have one extra gear.

Also, I had always heard that the M5R2 would not bolt up to a smallblock. Is an adapter required?

Nope. The 3.8 and the SBF have the exact same bell housing bolt pattern. The only thing is you need to get the correct flywheel, or have the SC flywheel rebalanced. Other than that, its a direct bolt-in swap.

Nope. The 3.8 and the SBF have the exact same bell housing bolt pattern. The only thing is you need to get the correct flywheel, or have the SC flywheel rebalanced. Other than that, its a direct bolt-in swap.

How do the shifter locations compare between M5R2 and 91 mustang T5?

The T5 shifter will come up about 6" too far forward for the tbird. The M5R2 will come out in the exact right location.

Back