Boost and HP on stock internals?

NEEDaSCbad

I'm sure this has been discussed several times before but my searches turned up nothing :confused:. So if you know of a thread that has discussed this already please link to it so I can read thru it there.

I need to know how strong stock internals really are, how much boost they can handle and what the HP limit is with a fresh but stock motor.

Also, does anyone know if there are "log-style" manifolds made for these cars that look like this?

http://www.dragsource.com/logmani.jpg

or something with the secondary flange at the end of the "log"(facing backwards/forwards instead of down) as opposed as to the middle. I need something that takes up as little room as possible and can hug the engine pretty close.

Thanks,
Seth

That was a nice revisit.......Much of it is beyond my mechanical comprehension. but interesting nonetheless. I appears that. just like most things, a wee bit of moderation and some good common sense can acheive good results.
Longevity of the stock motors intrigues me. Driving style, as i have seen with the vehicles I drive at work (ambulances) seems to have a great deal to do with it. General maintenance, regular inspection et al.
Since I have no intention of reaching for these lofty goals re" hp", I expect the motor in my '95 to survive long after I am dead and gone.
Thanks for the link.

Matt

Last edited:
Cool, very impressive numbers. So with a year of driving it racing it (?) under your belt. How did everything hold up? Were there any issues with the bottom end or the balancer at that HP level? It sure seemed to be the focus of discussion in the later part of that thread...

Dan

Cool, very impressive numbers. So with a year of driving it racing it (?) under your belt. How did everything hold up? Were there any issues with the bottom end or the balancer at that HP level? It sure seemed to be the focus of discussion in the later part of that thread...

Dan

Bent a rod after about 1000 miles, but not for any of the reasons being kicking around. It was caused by detonation and it took out the #3 cylinder. The rest of the block was fine for the most part. A knock sensor related problem, it was not something we anticipated.

The engine has been rebuilt and is making similar power and I believe we have accounted for the knock sensor issue this time.

Ira

blkbrd.. its also 30 over with i believe sealed power pistons.... :)

and its all about tuning... your car is tuned very well... and it runs like a bat out of hell! and still has the factory gear ratio, i might add... :cool:

i've been hitting around 22 pounds of boost on a stock block (not sure about the power). the only work done to it is the arp head studs and new head gaskets.

blkbrd.. its also 30 over with i believe sealed power pistons.... :)

and its all about tuning... your car is tuned very well... and it runs like a bat out of hell! and still has the factory gear ratio, i might add... :cool:

the pistons are just hyperucrackit pistons nothing special.

but true, tuning is key on any vehicle.

Back