Thread: Window Glue

Window Glue

The glue or expoxy holding my window clips to the window broke loose. I was wondering what type of glue I am suppose to get and also should I just go ahead and replace those clips. How hard are they to do?

THanks!

I have tried many different products, but nothing works as well as the stuff that pro glass shops use. They use fancy 3M two-part epoxies with a special applicator gun and what not. I looked into it, but I found it much better to take it to a body shop and have them do it. I explained what I wanted done, I cleaned the clips and glass, removed the inner door panel, and dropped it off. $40 later, it was perfect, and it has worked for about 2 years.

Best $40 ever spent.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Ford shows TSB 92-11-2 on this issue...

ISSUE: The front door glass may separate from the glass bracket because of poor adhesive material. A procedure has been developed for refastening the door glass assembly when the bracket separates from the glass. Previously, replacement of the entire glass assembly was required.

ACTION: Thoroughly clean the glass bracket and reattach it to the glass.

After removing the glass assembly from the front door:
    1. Mark the glass for the bracket location.
    2. Clean glass.
    3. Remove pink primer from the plastic bracket.
      1. Soak in a tray filled with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M #08984) for approx. 20 minutes.
      2. Use a wire brush to clean the inside of the 'U' channel plastic bracket.
      3. Clean glass at the bracket location w/same adhesive cleaner, being careful not to remove bracket locating lines.
    4. Mix and apply 3M two-part adhesive system 'Structural Adhesive' (3M #08101) to the inside wall of the 'U' channel bracket.

Adhesive has a 4 to 5 minute drying time. Cure at room temperature for 4 hours and reinstall assembly into car door. Restrict use of window system for 48 hours for full cure.

-=-=-
    If this sounds a bit too tricky, take it to a shop as suggested above by S_Mazza.
    Last edited by KMT; 01-29-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Just go to your local junk yard and remove a window from any bird or cougar (89 - 96)....

They are not that hard to swap out, if you can find one that is still intact.....

You might get lucky and find one that has the metal clips on it.....

I had to re-glue my driver side window about a year ago.
    I went to a nearby automotive glass shop and asked if they would sell me the glue that they used.
    They sold me a tube (as in tube for a caulking gun) of "Sikaflex 220+"
    The tube says :
    Sikaflex 220+
    Cold applied
    Direct Glazing adhesive

I found this stuff to be difficult to use.
    Instead I just used some Ultra Blue silicone gasket sealer and kept the window closed for about a week before opening.
    It worked great! It is still holding just fine.
    I also cleaned the window real well with alcohol before applying the silicone.

NAPA sells window adhesive for this purpose, I think 3M brand. The kind I bought was a cartridge for a special gun that mixes the two-part epoxy...I didn't buy the gun, but used the cartridge to manually mix the epoxy (like JB weld). It has held up fine for...3 years I think. If I remember right, the epoxy costed me around $12 and should be enough to do 12+ windows. The big think is making sure that the clips and glass are as clean as possible. And I also recommend getting some of the metal clips too (if it's not too much trouble) They're wider just feel better. I did use the plastic clips on the car I fixed around 3 years ago though, so they work fine too.

I don't think this is the actual type I bought, but it looks a whole-lot like this:
    http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/...er/output_html
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj ¶ RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? ¶ Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

I've had 2 windows come loose from the clips over the years and glued them back into the clips with clear flowable RTV window sealer and it worked beautifully. 5 years later it's still holding.
    90 5spd, best ever E.T. 12.250
    best ever 1/4mi speed 112.89 mph
    Current dyno tune 383.54 rwhp 418.88 rwt

Quote Originally Posted by sd_iconoclast View Post
    Instead I just used some Ultra Blue silicone gasket sealer and kept the window closed for about a week before opening.
    It worked great! It is still holding just fine.
    I also cleaned the window real well with alcohol before applying the silicone.
    Yup. I use my favorite adhesive, Black RTV silicon. I clean the glass and the clips well with brake cleaner; fill the clip with the RTV, attach and let sit with the window raised for 24hours. Because the window has a shock at the end of travel, a hard set epoxy of any sort (JB weld, epoxy, etc) is a poor choice as it will fracture. A rubber type adhesive will stand up for years.

Is it possible to remove a windshield yourself and install it? from a 93 to a 95?

Why not.....

I took one from a 95 SC and put in into a 90 SC.....

It's a big ~~~~ unless you have the right tools to remove it.....

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Ford shows TSB 92-11-2 on this issue...

ISSUE: The front door glass may separate from the glass bracket because of poor adhesive material. A procedure has been developed for refastening the door glass assembly when the bracket separates from the glass. Previously, replacement of the entire glass assembly was required.

ACTION: Thoroughly clean the glass bracket and reattach it to the glass.

After removing the glass assembly from the front door:
    1. Mark the glass for the bracket location.
    2. Clean glass.
    3. Remove pink primer from the plastic bracket.
      1. Soak in a tray filled with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M #08984) for approx. 20 minutes.
      2. Use a wire brush to clean the inside of the 'U' channel plastic bracket.
      3. Clean glass at the bracket location w/same adhesive cleaner, being careful not to remove bracket locating lines.
    4. Mix and apply 3M two-part adhesive system 'Structural Adhesive' (3M #08101) to the inside wall of the 'U' channel bracket.

Adhesive has a 4 to 5 minute drying time. Cure at room temperature for 4 hours and reinstall assembly into car door. Restrict use of window system for 48 hours for full cure.

-=-=-
    If this sounds a bit too tricky, take it to a shop as suggested above by S_Mazza.
    Hey Ken, did you ever try this method? Wondering how it worked out for ya. Getting tired of doing windows pretty much every year! I'd like to find a good propper method that lasts longer. Three out of four SC's in this picture needed window work. I got through 2 cars, one still needs both windows done.

Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

No, I haven't done this exact process, sorry.

In the past, tho, I've used 3M yellow death, after wire brushing and blowing clean w/compressed air. Our side glass is fairly large, making it more prone to size changes with temperature, so anything you can do to help the parts stay together is worth the trouble. If you're seeing repeated fails with an otherwise good process, I'd look at anything the might contribute to the issue, such as tight/mis-aligned channels, etc. Any chance there is 200 lb. dog that insists on hanging out a window that isn't open all the way

Today, I think the glass shop pros have access to much better materials than I ever did.

Ken